Photo

General Heritage Discussion

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#41 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

I've heard nothing but rumours, but the common rumour seems to be something about a daughter with a severe drug problem inheriting the building and business and putting most of it up her nose, and just hasn't been in the mental condition to sell or do anything with the building ever since.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

Just went by there yesterday. There are no words to describe how disgusted and horrifying the sight was. Go look for yourself. Outside I saw one rat come out from under a concrete slab that was broken. ok, that's kind of brazen in the middle of the day...just one eh? But inside Turner's..oh my, I've never seen sooooo many rats in one room. They are climbing around everywhere!! They've eaten holes into all the walls and are basically using the place as a rat party palace.

Does anyone know about this? Shouldn't the city do something about it? This is friggin' reDONKulous!:confused:

Thanks for the heads up slinkyo.....I am in charge of the buildings and grounds next door at the 2020 Richmond Medical Building.

I have already shared your post with the strata council and we will be all over this first thing in the morning.

#43 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

I've heard nothing but rumours, but the common rumour seems to be something about a daughter with a severe drug problem inheriting the building and business and putting most of it up her nose, and just hasn't been in the mental condition to sell or do anything with the building ever since.

There is also an abandoned house next door that belongs to the family. Probably more rats there as well.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

It would be so easy to build something terrific there. That entire intersection is a bunch of terrific just waiting to happen.

#45 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

As long as the signage is kept. Everyone wants that space.

Matt.

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:17 AM

As long as the signage is kept. Everyone wants that space.
Matt.

The neon sign is the only thing that is heritage about the site, and it is hanging by a thread.

#47 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:26 AM

I'd be totally fine seeing the thing demolished and a new building put up, so long as it's a great building. Maybe even have a callback to the curved corner. Some nice 4 story retail/condo or professional building

#48 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

I nominate Paul Merrick as architect.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

The opportunity to build on a triangle-shaped lot is a prized rarity. I'm sure any architect would love to put up their own version of a flat-iron building. Although the area is semi-residential, I don't think there is much need to have a building that would "blend in" (what the neighbours would say is a different matter). There is great potential for a dynamic low-rise building. I would nominate Franc D'Ambrosio for the job.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

5 residential stories should be no problem around there. There's an older 6-story apartment block across Fort and a bunch of 4-story ones around.

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

^Victorians want landmark buildings that blend in invisibly.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#52 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

http://maps.google.c...234.9,,0,-11.75

And what architectural peers this building has. The style MUST be aped.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

And what architectural peers this building has. The style MUST be aped.

It's sort of modified-brutalism aka "late-70's drab". It's pretty non-offensive in that it doesn't really try to be anything. In other words the perfect Victoria architectural style.

#54 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

^ There is not much one can do at this point to change the style. We have however spent a lot of money on the leaky concrete, the landscaping, the interior finishes and mechanical items. The next step is to redo some of the thermopane windows and give it a good powerwash.

It is very similar to the Rotheringham building at the corner of Blanshard and Pandora.

It is what it is.

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

To be fair I don't actually think it is an ugly building, and calling it a form of Brutalism* is no insult. There are plenty of worse buildings around town; all of the Songhees pre-2000 and Tuscany Village come to mind.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

I actually like that building. It is very cool for its era. With some leasing changes and the removal of the ground level plant boxes in exchange for sidewalk retail it would be great. To harp on this building when these are all within a block:

httphttp://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fort+St+%26+Richmond+Ave,+Victoria,+Capital+Regional+District,+British+Columbia+V8R+4P9,+Canada&hl=en&ll=48.429391,-123.330615&spn=0.000014,0.021136&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.505328,119.179687&vpsrc=0&geocode=FY_44gIdaCGm-A&t=h&layer=c&cbll=48.429391,-123.330615&panoid=WYPNaxKUJ8haICSOhdGY0Q&cbp=12,10.94,,0,0.09&z=16://

http://maps.google.c...25,,0,6.58&z=16

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Didn't they do some major work on those plant boxes just recently? Did I imagine that?

#58 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

Didn't they do some major work on those plant boxes just recently? Did I imagine that?

If you are refering to 2020 Richmond in a word, yes. (I am the "they")

There were waterproof membranes installed over the footprint of the parkade below that included the planters. This membrane had failed and water was seeping into the concrete below.

We jack hammered up all of the surface concrete, dug out the existing dirt and plants, installed a new membrane over the entire site, and then replaced the soil along with a new selection of plants and trees, and installed new pavers over the walkways.

All of the concrete that was damaged inside the parkade was dug out and replaced, any rusted rebar was replaced with stainless steel. We then installed a liquid membrane on the suspended slab of the first parking level.

Property values for the strata owners increased 50% in 24 months.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

It's a shame you had to do all that work Sparky when, as G-man suggested, opening the ground level up to some sort of retail or street access would have been a nice change. Still it has a pretty, suburban feel to it, even if I personally loath ground floor office space.

#60 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

^ There is a pharmacy on the ground floor, but in all fairness there is not a lot of foot traffic in the neighborhood.

We did make a huge improvement with the landscaping in the planters though.

While I was there I thought I'd grab a shot of the signs that everybody likes next door.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users