UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Sandown Park Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 10330 McDonald Park Road
Municipality: North Saanich
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 1
Sandown Parking Shopping Centre is a 140,000 square foot retail plaza along McDonald Park Road in North Saanic... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sandown Park Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Saanich] Sandown Park Shopping Centre | Retail

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

Wait till California legalizes cultivating and possession of pot, the bottom will fall right out of the BC market.

It has a very good chance of being voted in favour of.

If a US state legalizes it, and gets away with it without interference from the feds, it would make it that much easier for it to be legalized in Canada.

The proposition failed by about 6%.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

Proposition 19 could have passed by 100% and the federal government would have continued (in fact stepped up) prosecution of distributors and users. The feds made that abundantly clear.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

There is some type of application in the works, where 12 acres will be developed, and the rest turned over to the municipality to stay agricultural in perpetuity.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

Why was it ever put in the ALR? I wouldn't have thought "race track" to be an agricultural usage.

#25 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Why was it ever put in the ALR? I wouldn't have thought "race track" to be an agricultural usage.

There are many golf courses in the ALR, until 1991 that was an acceptable use. Horse racing and agriculture go together.

#26 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

There are many golf courses in the ALR, until 1991 that was an acceptable use. Horse racing and agriculture go together.

Did they change the golf course thing in 91? I'm pretty sure I know of one that was built in 95.

#27 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Did they change the golf course thing in 91? I'm pretty sure I know of one that was built in 95.

The regulation was changed early in the NDP government, it was one of their first acts of government. If one was done in 1995, it may already have been classified as a golf course

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

A North Saanich land swap that would see the municipality take ownership of the majority of Sandown lands has come to an end.

A 4-3 vote at last night’s council meeting has effectively put an end to the land swap that has been inching along at council for almost a year, Mayor Alice Finall said this morning.

http://www.timescolo...4141/story.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

The proposal has never made any sense to me. The owner makes a bundle from the re-zoning and North Saanich is left with all the liability

#30 phx

phx
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

For all the talk on the need to preserve farmland, it seems to be almost worthless.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Local environmentalist Vicky Husband said the vote is a “travesty for local sustainability and democracy” and hopes something can be done to resurrect the deal.

Yes, that darned democracy of 3 for and 4 against, by the council elected less than 6 months ago got in the way again. :rolleyes:

#32 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

For all the talk on the need to preserve farmland, it seems to be almost worthless.

Most of our farmland has been turned into small lots, there are only a handful of lots over 100 acres in this region. If the proposal were to have gone ahead, this land would have been lost as land available for purchase for farming.

For a farm to be viable in this region as a farm you need to have about 200 acres as a starting point. You also have to own the land so that you can get the financing needed to pay for all your infrastructure. irrigation systems, tractors, cold storage, seeds etc are all not free.

As an example, to plant 30 acres of grapes you would have to spend about $300,000 and then another $100,000 in equipment. You would not see return for four years. 30 acres of grapes in this region will bring in about $90,000 a year.

What we need is for councils to adopt a policy of land consolidation for ALR land. We also need to see more properties on the market as agricultural land and not as estates.

In the case of Sandown, something seems odd here. There is a lot of profit left on the table by the owners even if they had taken on all the liability they wanted to pass onto to the municipality. I have to wonder if someone knows something about the property they are not telling people.

The land is not going to sell quickly because of the unquantified land remediation risks on the land

#33 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Most of our farmland has been turned into small lots, there are only a handful of lots over 100 acres in this region. If the proposal were to have gone ahead, this land would have been lost as land available for purchase for farming.

For a farm to be viable in this region as a farm you need to have about 200 acres as a starting point. You also have to own the land so that you can get the financing needed to pay for all your infrastructure. irrigation systems, tractors, cold storage, seeds etc are all not free.

As an example, to plant 30 acres of grapes you would have to spend about $300,000 and then another $100,000 in equipment. You would not see return for four years. 30 acres of grapes in this region will bring in about $90,000 a year.

What we need is for councils to adopt a policy of land consolidation for ALR land. We also need to see more properties on the market as agricultural land and not as estates.

In the case of Sandown, something seems odd here. There is a lot of profit left on the table by the owners even if they had taken on all the liability they wanted to pass onto to the municipality. I have to wonder if someone knows something about the property they are not telling people.

The land is not going to sell quickly because of the unquantified land remediation risks on the land

This is something I've always wondered about. Farm land gets a hefty property tax break, doesn't it? If so, who is checking to see that the land is actually being used for agriculture? There seem to be quite a few estates on the peninsula with some hay fields, a couple of horses, and not much else. Is that considered agriculture? Should it be? (for property tax purposes).

#34 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

This is something I've always wondered about. Farm land gets a hefty property tax break, doesn't it? If so, who is checking to see that the land is actually being used for agriculture? There seem to be quite a few estates on the peninsula with some hay fields, a couple of horses, and not much else. Is that considered agriculture? Should it be? (for property tax purposes).

The amount you have to grow is very little and it is linked to the size of the land. For properties between 2 and 10 acres it is $2500 per year, for under 2 acres it is $10,000. For larger properties it is $2500 plus 5% of the value of the farm land over 10 acres. The value of a 50 acre property as farm land is much, much lower than the value it would have on the open market.

Could you get it on hay alone? I do not think that on one of the estates it is realistic. Can you get it for horses? Quite likely. I think it is time to remove horses from being a legitimate farm activity.

To get the farm status you have to provide BC Assessment with receipts of your sales. I went through this process in 2004 with a friend. She grew the crops and I sold them at a farmer's market. She easily passed $2500 on an area that would fit in almost any Gordon Head backyard.

That said, there are many places in the CRD that have farm status that should not have it. The values are too low and have not risen in the last 15 years, which is as long as I have paid attention to it.

#35 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I knew an individual who would buy eggs at the supermarket, take them home and resell them as farm fresh for a dollar a dozen more than he paid and made his $2500 in sales in a month.

He never did have any chickens.

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

I knew an individual who would buy eggs at the supermarket, take them home and resell them as farm fresh for a dollar a dozen more than he paid and made his $2500 in sales in a month.

He never did have any chickens.

That would not count as farm sales and if he got away with it that would be fraud.

Meanwhile, making $2500 in a month doing that seems out of whack. That would mean selling 2500 dozen in a month or more than 80 dozen a day. That is a lot of traffic and a lot of business. It is also a lot of effort in time and money to get farm status. Actually growing something would likely have been easier. He would have to continue doing this every year because he has to prove past sales if he is ever challenged.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

That would not count as farm sales and if he got away with it that would be fraud.

Meanwhile, making $2500 in a month doing that seems out of whack. That would mean selling 2500 dozen in a month or more than 80 dozen a day. That is a lot of traffic and a lot of business. It is also a lot of effort in time and money to get farm status. Actually growing something would likely have been easier. He would have to continue doing this every year because he has to prove past sales if he is ever challenged.

He sold them for a dollar MORE per dozen, not a dollar each dozen.

#38 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

He sold them for a dollar MORE per dozen, not a dollar each dozen.

So he was claiming the full sales value as income, I misunderstood. Though that is still 500 dozen in a month

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Let me help clear this up. I used to be in the egg business when our daughters were young and they used to do the work.

You need to sell "something" every year but you only need to sell $2,500 worth every second year. We used to sell a dozen eggs for $3.00 but I think they go for $3.50 or more now. That works out to less than 3 dozen per day, or 90 dozen a month. (Chickens don't take the weekends off).

60 chickens are more than plenty. When they are in good form, they drop one egg a day. A 5 acre hobby farm that might be valued at $900K would assess at around the $250K mark so there is a savings on property taxes.

We used to have our daughters on a payroll, so they would earn the money and we deducted that expense from the sale price. That way we did not have to claim the profit on our income tax return, and the daughters did not make more than their personal exemptions. Feed and other expenses were also deductable.

Income from selling colts from horses and growing hay does not qualify for farm status (or at least it didn't used to). Growing and selling flowers however does qualify.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Let me help clear this up. I used to be in the egg business when our daughters were young and they used to do the work.

You got out of the child-labour racket? Why not adopt some more kids?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users