Latest VV Article

Condo Review: Union

Vancouver-based Anthem Properties has made its Victoria development debut with the Union, a two building lowrise condo project between the 500-blocks of Pandora Avenue and Fisgard Street in Old Town’s amenity rich Chinatown district. The Union property, left barren for nearly a decade after the failure of a previous condo development, is a stones throw from the Inner Harbour and literally at the nexus of a rapidly changing and increasingly desirable historic area. [Read more]

Photo

World Cup 2010 in South Africa (soccer)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Toronto allowing bars to open earlier for World Cup soccer tourney

Canwest News Service May 12, 2010 3:25 PM Comments (7)

TORONTO — Toronto city council has agreed to allow bars and restaurants to serve alcohol one hour earlier than usual next month so patrons can enjoy a brew while they watch World Cup soccer.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0nlzXacdg

Tough time slots for our bars.

#2 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

Not as bad as 2002, but the 430 matches are going to be painful. I also plan on going to the gym every day for the 1130 match and watch it on the tread mill, so I should get in pretty good share.

#3 klukkluk

klukkluk
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Sorry for my ignorance, but which in Victoria is the best bar/pub/cafe to watch the worldcup soccer?
Thanks for any insight.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

Sorry for my ignorance, but which in Victoria is the best bar/pub/cafe to watch the worldcup soccer?
Thanks for any insight.

Sticky Wicket will be good for 11:30am games. I imagine all the Aus and NZ guys will be there this weekend, Aus plays at 11:30am Sunday. Shark Club is pretty much only one open for 7am games (no booze, but you can bring kids if they want a very rare opportunity to see what a bar looks like!), I'm there now, good wireless. Podium will PVR many games and play back with sound all day. USA/England should be good tomorrow (11:30am) with the extra 3000 US guys in town this weekend.

Good start today, SA (#83 world rank) almost pulled out a huge upset. Still a bit of one tying Mexico (#17).

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

I have more than a couple friends that simply can not handle the sound of the vuvuzelas during the games. Me, doesn't bother me at all, I hardly notice them, commit them to the back of my mind. BBC says they may do some games with no sound, just commentary over the video. I think that would be strange.

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Discovery news says they're annoying because they're loud and constant--no variation. No matter the rhythm of the game they're always droning on. And correct me if I'm wrong but they sound like a minor key tone which is supposed to be distressing because it's forever unresolved.

I hate those inflatable clapper things and the wobbly sticks they use to distract three-point shooters.

#7 tedward

tedward
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

Anybody know if the Da Vinci center is opening for early games?

#8 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• Banned
  • 2,395 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

Anybody know if the Da Vinci center is opening for early games?

Pffffft, I doubt it - the only time they opened last year was when the bandwagon knocked on their door for the World Cup final (because Italy was in it). Otherwise, I'm fairly sure it was shuttered for the entire WC.

#9 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

And correct me if I'm wrong but they sound like a minor key tone which is supposed to be distressing because it's forever unresolved.

There is no such thing as a "minor key tone", nor a "major key tone" for that matter. There are "minor key chords", but not "minor key tones". A single tone, by itself, is neither major nor minor.

#10 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

I have more than a couple friends that simply can not handle the sound of the vuvuzelas during the games.

Would these be the same sort of people who get uptight because the guy two offices down the hall is typing too loudly?

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Would these be the same sort of people who get uptight because the guy two offices down the hall is typing too loudly?

That's the thing, they are not. They are otherwise normal human beings.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

On CFAX tonight, the question for So You Think You Know Your Sports was, "what is the name of the item used by crowds at the World Cup that sounds like a swarm of bees?"

One guy called in and guessed "Celine Dion?". :)

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,553 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

^Awesome. LOL.

Ridiculous dive of the day.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

^Awesome. LOL.

Ridiculous dive of the day.

In this replay, I'd say he might have been clipped on the left heel, and that hurts when you get a cleat right there...

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,553 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

^Oh, I think you're right. A cleat raked against the heel would hurt like a bast*rd.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,553 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

How to Silence Vuvuzela Horns in World Cup Broadcasts with an EQ filter.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

WARNING! If you want to watch the England game today in a pub with no boorish hooligans, do not come to Shark Club. It's already getting ugly here!

#19 North Shore

North Shore
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

Snore.. You see more primadonnas in World Cup soccer than you do in men's figure skating. You never see dives/injuries like that in Rugby....
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,219 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

Well, the Dutch keep winning. Now if Holland and the Netherlands can also pull out a few wins, we might have us a tournament.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users