Latest VV Article

Condo Review: Union

Vancouver-based Anthem Properties has made its Victoria development debut with the Union, a two building lowrise condo project between the 500-blocks of Pandora Avenue and Fisgard Street in Old Town’s amenity rich Chinatown district. The Union property, left barren for nearly a decade after the failure of a previous condo development, is a stones throw from the Inner Harbour and literally at the nexus of a rapidly changing and increasingly desirable historic area. [Read more]

Photo

RBCM heavy-lift helicopter operation pix and vid - May 16th

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,235 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

These are all taken from the same spot, pretty much the crosswalk right in front of the Empress. I was ready to duck into the little ship-plaque alcove behind a rock wall at the first sign of trouble, to avoid being hit with a propeller blade. Some telephoto worked better than others...

Video coming...

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Super Moderator

• 8,938 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

I wish a helicopter would come and drop a big air conditioner down onto my building :P

Thanks for the pics :)

#3 jklymak

jklymak
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Nice. I was wondering what was going on....

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,235 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Nice. I was wondering what was going on....

There were short articles in today's and yesterdays papers, so a decent crowd had formed (+/- 250). Bonus for tourists esp. staying in the Queen Victoria, unless they wanted to sleep in, although it wasn't as loud as you might think. Plus the Harbour Ferries are free today until 1pm with free food at every stop courtesy of each nearby restaurant/hotel, so extra bonus. Damn if they would have scheduled it with the TC 10k, imagine the crowd, and carnage if there was a mishap.

#5 goke

goke
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

A Russian Kamov- I wonder what it cost per hour to run that behemoth?
There was a small spotter chopper above it as well.

#6 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

More about the helicopter:

Bp_ZV6q0hho

#7 jklymak

jklymak
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

A Russian Kamov- I wonder what it cost per hour to run that behemoth?
There was a small spotter chopper above it as well.

Ahhhhh, thats what I saw. I didn't think the one I saw had double blades.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,235 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

OK, I forgot I had this video uploading.

OK, now what I'll think you get out of this clip is the fact that I really don't believe lifting things by helicopter is the safest method to go about this. So I grabbed a vantage point that provided a buffer between me and the mangled rotors of a helicopter crash - consisting of one inter-city bus. Now of course, as the helicopter pulls the load clear of snagging in trees, I furtively move slightly away from the bus to get a better shot. My nerves give out at about 1 minute and I end the shoot.

VzyUkq43Unw

he, he...

_7jENWKgMPY

#9 goke

goke
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users