Thetis Lake

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

Just a reminder that idiots roam amongst us.  And to not light a campfire in the middle of one of the driest summers on record.

WTF were they doing camping in the park in the first place?!?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

Were they in the park boundaries or on crown land? I believe you can wild camp on crown land so long as the govt has not leased it out. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

WTF were they doing camping in the park in the first place?!?

I did some course setting for an orienteering event in Thetis a few years back - you'd be amazed at the evidence of camping in the 'backwoods' there...

Look at it from a street person's point of view - no harassment from the police, little chance of getting your stuff ransacked....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Were they in the park boundaries or on crown land? I believe you can wild camp on crown land so long as the govt has not leased it out. 

I don't think there is any crown land in our 13 municipalities, is there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

You are likely correct.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#26 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

The Tent City Location is

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

Isn't it time to remove those dangerous cliffs at Thetis Lake? 

A woman suffered serious injuries late Wednesday afternoon after slipping from the Sunnyside cliffs on the east side of Thetis Lake into the water, the fourth serious incident at the lake in the last seven days.

http://www.timescolo...liff-1.20936617

#28 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:56 PM

Was out at Thetis lake the past couple weekends, and yikes what a parking nightmare. By 10am both the main and overflow lot were full, with cars parking along the road next to numerous No Parking signs. Is View Royal just turning the other way and not ticketing anyone there? Why not? And would be nice to have some ideas as to ways to improve access to the park, ideally without just adding more parking spots.

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:58 PM

next few weeks will be more full with weather too.

#30 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:04 PM

We were thinking of going to Mt. Doug park yesterday, the ocean side, but then thought, well what if we get there and there's no place to park. We stayed home and went down to Dallas Road, but I found it too hot on the beach, so we sat opposite the petting zoo and had a little picnic.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#31 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:09 PM

I would be hesitant to go during the day to Thetis. I've been hitting it up with the kids at about 8 PM and the parking lot is starting to empty out a bit and there's room on the beach and in the water. It means that we only have an hour of swimming, but I'd rather that than fight for parking and catch the COVID.

I've found Esq Lagoon and Witty's have been decent, and Matheson lake is far out enough that it's not too busy. I'm not bothering with Langford Lake, the south beach will be way too crowded.

Edited by Danma, 27 July 2020 - 03:10 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:59 PM

I've found Esq Lagoon and Witty's have been decent

Except for the mess they've made by blocking off 400m in the middle... :( 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#33 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:09 PM

Except for the mess they've made by blocking off 400m in the middle... :(

But if you're going to Esquimalt Lagoon to well, go to the beach, why does that matter? Just park and you're there?

• Danma likes this

#34 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:23 PM

“View Royal fire chief frustrated by Thetis Lake accidents

‘You’re rolling the dice every time you jump off,’ chief says”:
https://www.vicnews....lake-accidents/

#35 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

With all the accidents you think they’d be more parking.

#36 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:55 PM

But if you're going to Esquimalt Lagoon to well, go to the beach, why does that matter? Just park and you're there?

On which side? That's the thing. If there's no parking on one side you have quite the detour to get to the other. I will be actively campaigning against every single one of the scumbags who voted to keep it closed.

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:00 PM

^ people sure get worked up about streets.   chill.

#38 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

On which side? That's the thing. If there's no parking on one side you have quite the detour to get to the other. I will be actively campaigning against every single one of the scumbags who voted to keep it closed.

Have you ever went to one entrance and every parking spot was taken, forcing you to drive around to the other side?

And sorry, I guess you’ll be campaigning against me then. I just think the experience of going to the beach and walking along the lagoon is improved without cars using it as a thoroughfare.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#39 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

Nice to go for a drive along Esquimalt Lagoon if you have mobility issues. Not everyone can walk to a beach.

#40 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

Nice to go for a drive along Esquimalt Lagoon if you have mobility issues. Not everyone can walk to a beach.

And you can still do that. Drive to the middle of the lagoon, chill and watch the ocean from your car, and then drive away when done. You are still driving almost the same length, less say 100-200m from the 2km stretch. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users