The demise of the phone book

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

Note that Yellow Pages will still be distributed, its just the residential listings that are being halted, for now. But I really have to think if you are a business, you have already cut back your YP advertising, although the price has also dropped dramatically in the last 10 or 15 years, especially as rival books to the BC Tel one arrived.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca...?hub=OttawaHome

Yellow Pages cuts delivery of residential phone book

Updated: Thu Jun. 03 2010 6:05:40 PM

ctvottawa.ca

Residents in Ottawa-Gatineau will no longer get a copy of the residential phone book; instead they are being urged to access the information online.

After examining user habits, Yellow Pages Group has decided not to distribute the phone book in seven Canadian cities: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, the Ottawa-Gatineau area and Quebec City.

Residents in those cities will only get a phone book if they request one.

Back in the old days at least the YP company used to pretend to be doing you a good service by delivering the YP to you under the guise of residential listings. That's out the window now. If they deliver just the YP portion now, I wonder if it has an alphabetical listing in the front by business name.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

^ Our company has the smallest display ad possible in the yellow pages just so our customers can find us if they are at a building instead of at their desk.

We are not trolling for new business.

$4,000 per year.

Nasty.

I would be happy if they kept the whole book to themselves.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

$4000? Wow. I had my own business in Ontario a few years ago and it was $350 for a 1/8th page.

#4 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

The yellow pages has my office line listed incorrectly as a distributor of mechanical parts. I get about four calls a week, so people must still be using the yellow pages.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

$4000? Wow. I had my own business in Ontario a few years ago and it was $350 for a 1/8th page.

The add is 2" X 2 1/2" and I probably have a couple of line insertions in a couple of catagories.

$340.98 per month before taxes (I just went and looked it up) $4,091.84 per year.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

The yellow pages has my office line listed incorrectly as a distributor of mechanical parts. I get about four calls a week, so people must still be using the yellow pages.

Why don't you open a side business distributing mechanical parts? You already have a leg up on the competition in terms of overhead. Your office, office equipment and telephone are paid by others and you have a free YP ad already in place.

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

dp

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

The demise of the phone book wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the many crappy copycat directory websites out there. Look at this ridiculous listing for my condo building, which hasn't been the Ministry of Finance since the late 90s.

Just last week I spotted an old fellow with a briefcase and a GoogleMap printout in his hand circling the Mosaic building with a baffled expression. He told me he was looking for the Ministry of Finance.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

The add is 2" X 2 1/2" and I probably have a couple of line insertions in a couple of catagories.

$340.98 per month before taxes (I just went and looked it up) $4,091.84 per year.

Of course I must be remembering wrong. It must have been 350 per month we were paying.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

Of course I must be remembering wrong. It must have been 350 per month we were paying.

That's OK, you were probably in denial.....I know I am.:P

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Outhouses just won't be the same.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

When I had my computer store the yellow pages gave us roughly half of our calls. We had a different number in the yellow pages to track calls.

When your computer is broken, you need something NOT online to look up a repair service.

Now, you may be thinking that people will use their second or third computer in the house to look up a repair man, but this is oddly not the case. At another store I worked at, the number was listed incorrectly. Customer calls dropped by a measurable amount and the people who did come into the store complaining of the bad listing did not use their other computer to look us up.

While people are getting more and more tech-savvy and connected, the yellowpages is still an important resource.

On another note, does anyone remember the "Talking yellowpages"?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

If you feel your YP ad is not working for you one of the following are the issue;
wrong heading, wrong book or wrong ad.

The Yellow Pages in Victoria BC was picked up 8.5 million times in Victoria this past year (meaning picked up for reference).

How do they know that? Yellow Pages talks to an incredible amount of people and collects an equally incredible amount of data which is turned into statistics.

How do I know all this? A close personal 'friend' of mine works for YP.
If VV is interested in talking to this person he is happy to chat and answer questions.

If VV'ers have any questions he is also happy to respond - anon if you like, he need not know what company you are etc.

#14 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

outhouses just won't be the same.

smilie malfunction

so, LOL instead

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hanging up on the phone book

Yellow Pages will no longer deliver residential directories in Canada’s seven largest cities unless asked to

Susan Krashinsky Media Reporter

From Monday's Globe and Mail Published on Sunday, Jun. 06, 2010 7:17PM EDT Last updated on Monday, Jun. 07, 2010 12:15PM EDT

Yellow Pages Group Co. said last week that it would no longer deliver residential phone books in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa-Gatineau, Montreal and Quebec City, except to customers who request them. A Yellow Pages spokesperson said Winnipeg could soon join that list.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

Yellow Media will stop paying dividends as it tries to improve its finances (Canadian Business, 28-Sep)

Yellow Media will stop paying dividends to improve its financial position and book a $2.9-billion writedown as the publisher of the Yellow Pages directories continues its transformation to an Internet company.
Shares in Yellow Media Inc. (TSX:YLO) tumbled more than 45 per cent in to 31 cents on Wednesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange after the company's review of its operations concluded that its assets are worth less than previously thought.
"We continue to have little visibility on revenue and earnings beyond 2012."
Earlier this month, chief financial officer Christian Paupe stepped down "to pursue other interests."

I can't imagine paying money for an online phone directory, can you?

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

It's sad to see a company go out of business, but I'm not lamenting the loss of the phone book at all. Haven't touched one for 5+ years.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hanging up on the phone book

Yellow Pages will no longer deliver residential directories in Canada’s seven largest cities unless asked to.

Good, they just ended up by the dumpster unopened in my building. It will save some more trees.

#19 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

Good, they just ended up by the dumpster unopened in my building. It will save some more trees.

FYI, Most phone books are printed from recycled material which gets recycled so no trees are harmed and anyway trees are a renewable resource:o

#20 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

Still wasted energy and time, eliminating waste is awesome.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users