Derelict boats on The Gorge/Brentwood/Oak Bay/Cad Bay

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#381 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

Yikes. Down to 17 derelict boats now perhaps?

Perhaps the City's strategy for boat removal is to just allow them to fall apart/set fire? It's doing wonders for the neighbourhood and water quality. 

#382 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hope no one is injured. Couple of those boats run external located fuel powered generators at all hours ..

#383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

A vide of the fire. Can you imagine if the boat had been docked a little closer to the trestle? It would have been game over for the Mayor's bike lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wn1Y8HmiIQ

• Dietrich likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#384 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Glad that you're spreading the bike lane hatred into as many threads as possible  :whyme:. The trestle is widely used by all sorts of residents and employees in the surrounding neighbourhoods, not just cyclists.

• Coreyburger, Mr.B and nerka like this

#385 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Isn't this the one that caught fire last time? I think this is my fault, because I was on my deck, able to see the trestle and boats until the trees leaf out, and was thinking about flaming arrows.  Game of Thrones binge while sick.

There was a couple who lived on a boat but also slept in their car in the winter, near the Banfield dock.  I would see them in the middle of the night, wandering through people's yards, checking car doors.  They went away, theft from yards stopped.

The trestle is used by so many people, mostly non-cyclists from my vantage point, that its loss would be terrible.  It might actually get some actual movement forward though.  Getting those things out of the water before swimming season starts would be fabulous!

• jonny and nerka like this

#386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

Glad that you're spreading the bike lane hatred into as many threads as possible :whyme:. The trestle is widely used by all sorts of residents and employees in the surrounding neighbourhoods, not just cyclists.

If you consider the implication of the trestle burning down and how that relates to the Johnson Street Bridge and the bike lane, that would have been a major setback for the Mayor's Biketoria effort.

It wasn't meant as a swipe at the bike lanes, it was meant as a swipe against the inability of our officials to deal with the derelict boat problem - which yesterday could have lead to a disastrous outcome on multiple fronts.

Can you imagine this embarrassing headline? "City's laissez faire attitude towards derelict boats nixes plans for bike network - Mayor admits multi-use bridge and Biketoria relied on charred trestle to funnel cyclist traffic."
  • Bingo, Daveyboy, Dr. Barillas and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#387 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

Mike, your comment didn't read that way.
"I know nothing"

#388 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

Still exactly the same 18 boats two months later..........

The promised enforcement seems slightly slowing down :bow:

Still 18 boats many months after the final notice......

#389 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

I met a guy the other day who was moving on to a boat illegally moored off the coast of Oak Bay. He was non-chalant about it and thought of it as an apartment, which makes me think he was renting it from someone (he wouldn't say who or if that was the case).

Know it all.

#390 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

Still 18 boats many months after the final notice......

What's the update?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#391 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

I know there's an abandoned boats program through Transport Canada, and as part of the requirement to access funding to remove these vessels an applicant has to show that their abandoned.  Perhaps the city is wanting to avail itself of this program, and as such has to jump through some hoops.

#392 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Tow them away or load them on a barge, you will find out really quickly if they are abandoned or not.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#393 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Tow them away or load them on a barge, you will find out really quickly if they are abandoned or not.

That's what I said years ago. Just pull them up into the works yard.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#394 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

I'll do it for a small fee. Now of only the CoV would tender that contract...

#395 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

This article seems to support that they're looking for federal funding to deal with derelicts - http://www.vicnews.c..._medium=twitter Note - the total budget for the abandoned boats program is about $5.6 million over 5 years, so it would seem that the CRD alone is looking to monopolize an entire year of the budget for the program.

#396 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

$5.6 million?! Come on, I'll go down there with my boat, cut their anchor lines and tow them away to a salvage yard for a lot less than that.

#397 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

The City of Victoria will be seeking an injunction next month to remove abandoned and derelict boats from the Gorge Waterway.

In recent months, the city has been preparing an application to remove the roughly 17 vessels illegally moored in the Gorge, and will be heading to B.C. Supreme Court the week of Sept. 11.

“It’s been a long time coming and it’s taken a lot to get prepared for the court case. We feel like there’s a good chance of success, but you never know and it will be before the courts very soon,” said Mayor Lisa Helps.

https://www.saanichn...ats-from-gorge/

#398 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

"It will be before the courts very soon"...ha, ha, ha.  :rtfm:   :judge:  :banana:

The City of Victoria will be seeking an injunction next month to remove abandoned and derelict boats from the Gorge Waterway.

In recent months, the city has been preparing an application to remove the roughly 17 vessels illegally moored in the Gorge, and will be heading to B.C. Supreme Court the week of Sept. 11.

“It’s been a long time coming and it’s taken a lot to get prepared for the court case. We feel like there’s a good chance of success, but you never know and it will be before the courts very soon,” said Mayor Lisa Helps.

https://www.saanichn...ats-from-gorge/

October 25, 2016

Last week, the city posted follow up notices on vessels and wharves anchored in the Gorge, reminding owners that they are occupying the area contrary to the city’s zoning regulation bylaw, which limits long-term mooring to a maximum of 48 hours and no more than 72 hours in a 30-day period. The notices ask that all vessels and wharves be removed by Friday, Oct. 28. A previous notice was issued in mid-June, requesting boats and vessels be removed from the waterway by July 18. So far, only three vessels have voluntarily left the area. 

If owners don’t voluntarily remove their vessels and wharves after Friday, however, the city will begin enforcement to remove them and seek an injunction (a court order from the B.C. Supreme Court) if necessary. http://www.vicnews.c...gorge-waterway/

Edited by Bingo, 04 August 2017 - 12:16 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#399 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

^ Oh, ye of little faith!  I'm sure that this time they really, really really really......really really mean it!

• Nparker likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#400 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

What about all the houses with boats and wharves in the gorge? Are they having to remove there stuff too?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users