Photo

Centennial Square

• Please log in to reply
1043 replies to this topic

#621 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

I don't all that much wrong with Centennial Square and it should be low on the priority list with all the other projects that are waiting to drain the taxpayers wallet.

• tedward likes this

#622 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

...Centennial Square...should be low on the priority list with all the other projects that are waiting to drain the taxpayers wallet.

Hence my suggestion of private, for-profit component.

#623 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

The problem is Centennial Square lacks a commercial element, like cafes, shops... things that attract people to a square. The 60s extension at the back of City Hall, especially the wasted space below does nothing to attract people. People complain about the unruly crowds (homeless and drug addicts), but in order to change that you need things that will make it vibrant and attract the positive crowds.

To get rid of the homeless all they need to do is follow Helps' plan and put in a playground. That is the elitist version of nimbyism.

#624 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Hence my suggestion of private, for-profit component.

That would be a waste as they already tried that with a restaurant that used to be attached to the McPherson Theatre.

#625 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

That would be a waste as they already tried that with a restaurant that used to be attached to the McPherson Theatre.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 20-storey mixed-use office, residential and retail component to offset the costs of a new main library branch. 

And I think the reason the original restaurant at CS failed was that it was too closely tied to theatre-going. Hell, it wasn't even located at ground level, but as I recall, it was "elevated" for reasons that really never made any sense. 
centennial6--- - Copy.jpg

#626 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Yikes! It's going from bad to worse. You can have you proposals, but I say leave it alone.

• todd likes this

#627 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Yikes! It's going from bad to worse. You can have you proposals, but I say leave it alone.

I'm not suggesting revitalizing CS should be a CoV funding priority, but it's pretty bleak the way it is now. To a certain degree, this is the fault of the original design. It's always been too closed in. Getting rid of the large tree at the Douglas Street "entrance" would go a long way to opening up the square. All surfaces should be repaved. The red brick paver concept should be scrapped. The existing shopping "arcade" is a disaster since it just creates a shadowy space that is entirely uninviting. It's the Victoria setback issue magnified. Retail and restaurants should be "in peoples' faces" in order to attract customers. And of course, there is the mysterious cave under the City Hall extension that has never in 50 years made even a little sense.

• David Bratzer likes this

#628 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

You just leave that tree alone! 

#629 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

You just leave that tree alone! 

It can be replaced with some smaller, slow-growing, deciduous trees. A win-win for tree-lovers and Square users.

#630 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

It can be replaced with some smaller, slow-growing, deciduous trees. A win-win for tree-lovers and Square users.

:bow:

#631 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

:bow:

It's nice to see you coming around to my way of thinking.

• Bingo likes this

#632 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

It's nice to see you coming around to my way of thinking.

:mad:

#633 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

It does not seem to be online in the TC, but the article says the City has approved $11,000 for table tennis and chess in the square, if some other organization will step in and match funds.

And $50,000 for a "moveable, temporary children's play feature".

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#634 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

http://youtu.be/hBD1G4xxtdA

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#635 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

I'm not sure why the perimeter of the fountain needs to be cordoned off like that. If a future Darwin Award winner wants to frolic in the icy fountain I say let them. The human gene pool needs a good cleansing anyway.

#636 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

I'm not sure why the perimeter of the fountain needs to be cordoned off like that. If a future Darwin Award winner wants to frolic in the icy fountain I say let them. The human gene pool needs a good cleansing anyway.

I does make you wonder.  Did they cordon off Swan Lake or Elk/Beaver?

• Nparker likes this

#637 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

http://www.timescolo...quare-1.6678741

Victoria council is hoping to serve up some fun at Centennial Square by installing table tennis and chess tables.

Councillors have agreed to allocate up to $11,000 for table tennis and chess in the square adjacent to city hall - provided it can find a partner to match the funds.

"So essentially it's up to the community to step up if they want their table tennis tables and their chess tables," said Coun. Ben Isitt, who proposed making the funds available.

"So the trigger to expend that would be the 50 per cent matching being in place from philanthropic or external organizational source."

Councillors also agreed to spend up to $50,000 on a moveable, temporary children's play feature in the square.

Isitt said the children's feature would essentially be a climbable piece of art and play feature not unlike Cadborosaurus in Saanich's Cadboro-Gyro Park.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.oOuPCKc8.dpuf

You know, people might just bring their own chess boards to the square, if it was not full of vagabonds.  But why not just throw some money at it, I guess.

Ping pong in the wind is not very pleasant, that's why all the great ping pong stadiums are indoors.  Even Victoria's only outdoor ones are in a wind-protected foyer.  And how are you going to deal with paddles and balls?  Bring your own?

I really hope they thought this through, but I suspect they did not.

• jonny, Midnightly and marks_28 like this

#638 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:49 AM

File_001 (15).jpeg

• Nparker likes this

#639 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Ping pong in the wind is not very pleasant, that's why all the great ping pong stadiums are indoors.  Even Victoria's only outdoor ones are in a wind-protected foyer.  And how are you going to deal with paddles and balls?  Bring your own?

Came across something similar in Pioneer Square in Seattle. Actually looked to work pretty well. Paddles and balls were included in a little basket next to the table. Also had foosball and maybe a few other games. Could get more people hanging out at Centennial Square.

A60uVEt.jpg?1

#640 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

http://www.timescolo...quare-1.6678741

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.oOuPCKc8.dpuf

You know, people might just bring their own chess boards to the square, if it was not full of vagabonds.  But why not just throw some money at it, I guess.

I really hope they thought this through, but I suspect they did not.

I took this picture at Gordon Head Rec Centre today. The rec centre is behind the table, which does offer some protection depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Lambrick Park ping pong.JPG

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users