Photo

[Esquimalt] Dockyard / Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt | U/C

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#41 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Victoria frigate seizes drugs, while on deployment.

CJOC NR 12.002 - December 5, 2012
OTTAWA - Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Ottawa is currently conducting a 44-day deployment in the eastern Pacific with resounding operational success. On November 28, 2012 the Esquimalt-based frigate was patrolling in international waters southeast of Isla de Coco, Costa Rica when she assisted a United States (US) Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment team in boarding a suspicious fishing vessel. This boarding resulted in the seizure of 36 bales of cocaine weighing 1,086 kilograms, with an estimated wholesale value of more than US $29 million. Between November 18 and 29, CP-140 Aurora crews from 19 Wing, Comox and 14 Wing, Greenwood assisted in seizing, through surveillance and detection, 144 bales of cocaine weighing 4,300 kilograms, with a wholesale value of more than US $116 million. In total, more than US $145 million worth of drugs were seized.

The Royal Canadian Air Force has also contributed to Operation Caribbe by providing five CP-140 Aurora long-range patrol aircraft to fly critical surveillance sorties in the region.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ian-deaths.html

#42 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Victoria frigate seizes drugs, while on deployment.

CJOC NR 12.002 - December 5, 2012
OTTAWA - Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Ottawa is currently conducting a 44-day deployment in the eastern Pacific with resounding operational success. On November 28, 2012 the Esquimalt-based frigate was patrolling in international waters southeast of Isla de Coco, Costa Rica when she assisted a United States (US) Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment team in boarding a suspicious fishing vessel. This boarding resulted in the seizure of 36 bales of cocaine weighing 1,086 kilograms, with an estimated wholesale value of more than US $29 million. Between November 18 and 29, CP-140 Aurora crews from 19 Wing, Comox and 14 Wing, Greenwood assisted in seizing, through surveillance and detection, 144 bales of cocaine weighing 4,300 kilograms, with a wholesale value of more than US $116 million. In total, more than US $145 million worth of drugs were seized.

The Royal Canadian Air Force has also contributed to Operation Caribbe by providing five CP-140 Aurora long-range patrol aircraft to fly critical surveillance sorties in the region.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ian-deaths.html

I am a little confused how Canadian and American governments have jurisdiction in international waters off Costa Rica

#43 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I am a little confused how Canadian and American governments have jurisdiction in international waters off Costa Rica

Big Boats, Big Guns AND Big egos???

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

The correct link to the report.

http://www.marketwir...ust-1734287.htm

#45 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

By way of Universal Jurisdiction. By using the term "universal", I suppose if you traffic in drugs on the moon, you could also be arrested.

http://en.wikipedia....al_jurisdiction

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Is the war on drugs the same as any other war? If WWII was fought with it being safe to do as you like once in international waters, how would that have worked?

Here is what wikipedia says;

"Ships sailing the high seas are generally under the jurisdiction of the flag state; (if there is one) however, when a ship is involved in certain criminal acts, such as piracy, any nation can exercise jurisdiction under the doctrine of universal jurisdiction. International waters can be contrasted with internal waters, territorial waters and exclusive economic zone."

http://en.wikipedia....national_waters

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today announced plans to replace the existing A and B jetties at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt's dockyard. These two projects involve the construction of two modern and fully-integrated steel and concrete pile jetties as well as the replacement of other associated support infrastructure. The total cost is currently estimated to be in the range of $430M -$530M, with the potential to create 1400 jobs.

http://www.marketwir...alt-1757884.htm
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Those pics show up for anyone else? I'm just seeing the little boxes with the x in them.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#49 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Not working, they appear to be from an email

#50 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'll try again, Mods please delete previous attempt

A and B jetty conduit. Goes from the Main Dockyard Gate to the base of the new jetties.

Hazardous Materials Handling Facility

New Base Operations and Fire Hall (Huge improvement!)
West View

East View

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

That's a great looking firehall.

Thanks for sharing, V!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

That's a great looking firehall!

I agree it looks impressive, but what is the cost? How many calls does the DND Fire Dept respond to in a year? I can't remember the last time they responded to a fire, was it the one in the Victoria Dry Dock over 15 years ago? Just wonder if renovating the old firehall would have been a better use of money for a fire dept with such low workload?

#53 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

I agree it looks impressive, but what is the cost? How many calls does the DND Fire Dept respond to in a year? I can't remember the last time they responded to a fire, was it the one in the Victoria Dry Dock over 15 years ago? Just wonder if renovating the old firehall would have been a better use of money for a fire dept with such low workload?

The old fire hall was in a location that hampered both RCN operations and Fire Dept ops. There was no room for growth or renovation of the hall itself. The building itself was small and could not fit all of the vehicles of the dept. The operations centre is shoehorned into a corner of building and its equipment and layout are not capable of running an efficient ops centre during an emergency or crisis.
The new building is built to earthquake standards so that it can be a centre of operations and support if the "big one ever hits. Also the DND fire department can support other municipal departments if the need arises.
So yes it is good value for the money spent.

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

#55 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

That's the most fancy fire station I've ever seen.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#56 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Not so great timing with the Craigflower bridge closure but I hear the Victoria Harbour Ferry's Baseline service from Colwood to CFB Esquimalt is shutting down next Friday April 19th for good and that they can't make it work for a profit. Nothing on their website yet, but this comment is not good if you live or need to commute through Esquimalt?
"an extra 400 to 600 vehicles per day on the roads leading from the Westshore of Greater Victoria into the base, with expected parking and congestion issues."

http://victoriaharbourferry.com/2012/05/baseline-era-victoria-harbour-ferries/

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

Yup, the service is now canceled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have heard that the damage to the Frigate is extensive, looks like it will be going back into refit? Wonder who's insurance will be paying for that?

http://www.timescolo...e-hurt-1.117272

http://www.google.ca...88&tx=104&ty=50

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I have heard that the damage to the Frigate is extensive, looks like it will be going back into refit? Wonder who's insurance will be paying for that?

http://www.timescolo...e-hurt-1.117272

http://www.google.ca...88&tx=104&ty=50

Well, I'm sure that navy ships don't have "insurance", at least not in the way we know it, and since it was not moving or otherwise at fault, hopefully it will be the insurers of the civilian craft and/or their handlers on the way in (tugs).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#60 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

The fishing vessel suddenly started under its own power and the tugs had to drop the lines or risk being towed by the vessel.

The video is nice and it has made the media rounds across the country.

If I had shot that video my first action would have been to decide how much I wanted for it then I would have started making some phone calls offering for sale. A video like this will be used for the investigation.
Hopefully they didnt just hand it over to the media for free but I suspect they did because if they had sold this video they would not have been allowed to post it on facebook where it is now.
My guess is that this video could have been worth up to $1000 to a national media outlet based on what I have sold breaking news videos for in the past.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users