Raw Bar (formerly Oyster) | Victoria | 614 Humboldt Street

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

As we speak they are installing a patio out on the sidewalk.

Right about here.

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

As we speak they are installing a patio out on the sidewalk.

Right about here.

Must be nice to have the City create an entire new section of sidewalk (that detours around the new pation) and remove 1-2 prime parking spots, in order to allow Oyster to expropriate the existing sidewalk for a new patio. I'm sure that Oyster paid through the nose to have City public works staff to do this - but still, it must be nice to have City Hall amenable to this.

We can't even get phoquing public street parking on Gladstone Avenue in front of TWO sets of multi-family housing (both complete with off-street parking for residents and visitors) that don't need the Residential Parking that they currently enjoy. Total BS. :mad:

#3 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

I have heard that Pescatores/Oyster is reopening April 1. yum.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

Is it actually Oyster, though?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

I hope they keep the Oyster menu in the big new storefront. enjoyed sitting in the sunshine for the buck-a-shuck.

#6 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

I hope they keep the Oyster menu in the big new storefront. enjoyed sitting in the sunshine for the buck-a-shuck.

Went there last summer, ordered 2 dozen oysters with friends. Buck-a-shuck on the menu but buck-and-a-half-a-shuck on the bill. Not happy with the price or the mealy-mouth "old menu" explanation. Won't be back.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

You should have told them to "shuck off".

• bluefox likes this

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

Sorry for three threads here, but what the hey....

http://www.timescolo...h.ofsfSaab.dpuf

Pescatores restaurant re-emerging as 3 new brands

Veteran restaurateur Mike Murphy is proving to be something of a magician given he will reveal three new restaurants next week in a spot where last year there were just two.

After a sweeping, pricey, four-month renovation that tore Pescatores and the Oyster Bar down past the studs, Murphy will unveil three newcomers to the dining scene — Kitchen, The Commons and Raw Bar.

The three restaurants, all of them operating under the Pescatores banner, take up 6,000 square feet on the southeast corner of the Belmont Building where Pescatores, Oyster and Scala Boutique operated until the end of last year.

“We agonized over whether we would open as one restaurant,” said Murphy during a walk-through Thursday as finishing touches and paint were being applied.

The decision to split the space in three came down to Murphy’s desire to establish a fine dining restaurant downtown — Kitchen. “We couldn’t do high-end with one big space, you can’t do seafood cheap,” he said, noting with tourism rebounding and locals having few options there is a need for a new high-end dining spot.

• Mixed365 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

Sorry for three threads here, but what the hey....

http://www.timescolo...h.ofsfSaab.dpuf

I think there are moderators that can show you how to combine those three threads into one. :badpc:  :thumbsup:

• Nparker likes this

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

12 seats? Is that correct?

I guess the popularity of Be Love on Blanshard has some restaurateurs thinking it's going to be a popular concept for a while, at least.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

Hanks on Douglas has at best 12 seats, seems busy.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

So raw food....that's pretty much just groceries on a plate? Should be cheap.

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

$15 dollars for three carrots, two celery sticks and a broccoli crown.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

The most pretentious food concept since "designer bottled water".

• johnk likes this

#15 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

Pretty sure this concept is about Oysters and such, not raw food per se. But you knew that right?

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

You're kidding, I hope? Is it possible that not only is the main restaurant called Kitchen, their oyster bar is called Raw Bar? Goodness gracious.

Know it all.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

It must be--abandoning fresh oysters in that location would be suicidal. It would be a terrible spot for a "Be Love" type place. 

I wondered if they considered calling it "The Place" but I see Google tells me there are many restaurants with that name, the closest is over in Friday Harbor. 

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

$15 dollars for three carrots, two celery sticks and a broccoli crown.

Yes but it's not to eat...it's to photograph.

• Nparker likes this

#19 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

I think the idea of Raw is oysters and sushi.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

I think the idea of Raw is oysters and sushi.

Who would go to a restaurant to eat raw food, heck you can do that in your car right outside the grocery store.  :banana:

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users