Photo

Olo (formally ulla) | Victoria | 509 Fisgard St.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

Looks like they are well underway with something to replace the sushi place there at the bottom of Fisgard.

http://www.ulla.ca/

Website coming soon.

509 fisgard street, victoria, bc 250-590-8795 dinner from 5:30 tuesday to saturday

RIP capital letters...

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

What type of food will it be?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

What type of food will it be?

No indication. But dinner only, maybe that's a clue. So it won't be a "breakfast all day" kind of place. Or a cereal restaurant.

#4 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Scandinavian? Ulla, short for the name Ulrika
German? Ulla, short for the name Ursula

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Ulla (or Ula) is a popular name in many European countries.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

Suppose to be 'Modern West Coast Cuisine' or something like that.

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,011 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

From what I've seen, Brad's a good cook. I think we can expect it to be 60/40 brasserie/brio.

Good mix.

Matt.

#8 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

ulla had a bit of a soft opening this evening. I didn't attend but took a peek inside. It's a sharp looking space. I'm anxious to try it out.

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,011 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

I bet they are hoping for much overflow traffic from that place on Government that recently stopped taking reservations. :)

Hotdoglegz, let me know if you'd like to go for a snack/beverage at Ulla, I am free many evenings post-shift!

Matt.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

Some good pix on Facebook.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,011 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Heading down to Ulla tonight, looking forward to it!

Matt.

#12 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,011 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:10 AM

Across the board, our experience at Ulla was exemplary. I think it's fair to say that there's isn't anyone else in Victoria doing anything quite like this. The sourcing of ingredients is impeccable (this is not uncommon in Victoria) but the style of plating/presentation was pretty unique around these parts. The flavours we experienced are becoming more and more common, for good reason. Use of in season product was primary, and the accompaniments were equally as delicious and important on the plates as the protein component. For example, my wife's short rib 'steak' was excellent, but her cauliflower agnolotti were exquisite. My lamb sirloin was fork tender (they didn't even bring a steak knife) but my English peas were summer on a plate.

We had four cocktails, and shared six plates between us, each different and excellent. Light touch, simple flavours, perfectly executed - everything from my bourbon sour to dessert. The sous vide rhubarb was like nothing I've had before.

The server was not able to answer some of my questions, but I tend to ask a lot of them. She made every effort to find out the answers and relay them back. Service was gracious but not overbearing. I caught our server keeping a close on us as we ate, and she totally busted me using our bread to mop up every last morsel from the plate, caveman style.

At first blush I thought portions were a little on the small side, but after three courses I remembered that less is usually more. Restaurants in Victoria tend to kill diners with big amounts of starch and a minimum of 6oz of protein, all totally unnecessary, especially at this level.

Based on their first weekend of business, I'd say they have a bright future ahead of them, especially after Streetlink moves. There is enough demand for this type of cuisine downtown for all, but it remains to be seen what happens when Peter Zambri adds another 120 seats in the downtown core.

Prices were right on par, with value being good to great. The ingredients on our plates and in our beverages do not come cheap. Attention to detail on the smallwares was refreshing, especially for a startup. Flatware was lovely to use, and very handsome. I expect they will be short some by the end of the week.

If you are looking for a big chunk of meat and some starch with blanched vegetables, look somewhere else. If you are looking for a creative, well executed menu in a simple, elegant space drop in and see them.

For full disclosure, we were expected last evening and I know both the owners and employed the Chef ever so briefly at one point, but I don't hold that against him. :)

Matt.

#13 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

I had a look at the photos on their Facebook site and it is a beautiful room - I'm going to check it out!
Pieta VanDyke

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

^ ^ That's one heck of a review.... :)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

I have to big up this place too. I went there this evening and it was excellent. I started with the pacific octopus and had the short rib steak for my main. My wife had the salmon and then the chocolate cake. Everything was excellent.
The service was attentive, friendly but relaxed.
The restaurant itself was clean and modern, but the wood added a nice warmth to the place.

This place will be a big hit.

Too bad it was completely empty when we were there. I know...it's a Tuesday. But still, it was a bit sad to see all those tables going to waste.

Fellow Victorians, check this place out!

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

Too bad it was completely empty when we were there. I know...it's a Tuesday. But still, it was a bit sad to see all those tables going to waste.

I walked by Moxie's at about 4:30 and back again at 5:00pm tonight, could not believe how empty it was. Yipes. Maybe that's just a fluke. Or maybe it gets busy later.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

I was there at 6 to 7:45 smart-arse.:P

#18 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

4 of us went tonight Tues, and it was empty at 7, but filled up quite nicely by 8. The food and service were great and reasonably priced. We'll be going back!

#19 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

To anyone who has visited ulla: Did you happen to notice what kind of vegetarian options they offered? I can't seem to find a menu on their FB page and it sounds like a lot of different meats.

#20 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

I might check it out if they'd spend the 5 min to type or scan their menu onto their website.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users