Photo

[downtown Victoria] Hoy Sun Ning Yung Building, Fan Tan Alley | Rentals | Renovation

Rental Heritage

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

Renovation planned for derelict Fan Tan building

By Robert Randall • Published on Friday, July 9, 2010 • Categorized as Construction & Land Development, Heritage, Local News

A historic Fan Tan Alley building is set for a dramatic rejuvenation as a market rental apartment building.

The Hoy Sung Ning Yung Benevolent Association, which owns the 80 year old building at 540 Pandora Avenue is looking to build an extra storey or two on top of the Italianate-style brick building in order to pay for the extensive renovations required to bring it up to code.

MORE

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Sounds good. I'm not so certain they'll find the economics work though, but I hope they do.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

I think the difference is an Association is undertaking it and they will have the patience to wait for the rental income to pay off the costs. Their main goal is maintaining the building, not turning a quick profit. It's a great building that will be spectacular when completed.

#4 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

It would be wonderful to have that old building spruced up a bit. Now all they need to do is get something happening where Bambu was supposed to go.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

There is a new proposal for the Buckerfield's/former Bambu lot. It hasn't been presented to Council yet.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

I think the difference is an Association is undertaking it and they will have the patience to wait for the rental income to pay off the costs. Their main goal is maintaining the building, not turning a quick profit. It's a great building that will be spectacular when completed.

I know, but look at all the other buildings downtown that have vacant upper floors, that are already built. Nobody is making them into rental housing.

So this building has some structure that needs shoring up, free land, potential to go higher with new structure and a 10-year tax holiday. But that's not much different than a church or something (Esquimalt Legion?) that has free land. And they can still not afford to build rental structures on that land that even break even.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

I'd love to see this happen and wish them luck. I just hope they do something interesting for the addition and not some bland langfordesq siding box like the Soda Water addition. Do something funky, this sort building is begging for something funky, and that's the market they'll be going after for rentals too.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

I know, but look at all the other buildings downtown that have vacant upper floors, that are already built. Nobody is making them into rental housing.

What about those buildings on Yates, aren't they rental?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

What about those buildings on Yates, aren't they rental?

Nobody is making them into rental housing except that Yates St. building.

#10 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

as for the buckerfields lot... they should put it back to what it was a long long loooooooooooooooong time ago. anybody wanna guess what that was?

#11 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

as for the buckerfields lot... they should put it back to what it was a long long loooooooooooooooong time ago. anybody wanna guess what that was?

A granary and feed store that the trains came right into?

Perhaps you means even longer ago.

#12 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

i didnt know the trains went into there. i also didnt know there was a granary there either. but my time period is about the same as yours so one of us has to be wrong.

my sources tell me it used to house gambling dens separated by alleys, but the lot was predominantly a large chinese theatre (similar to macphearson style).

anybody want to verify which version is correct?

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

Both of you are pretty much correct.

http://web.uvic.ca/v...theatreweb.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#14 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

And

http://www.swanshote.../ourhistory.php

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

A thread focused on community concerns over this project has been separated from this thread and can be accessed here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

http://www.timescolo...1471/story.html

Hmmm, I hope council don't pull a "Rogers Chocolates" by doing something wrong here.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

^ Me too. I hope that all that signed were Victoria residents.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

So this got the nod the other day, yes?

Anybody know if they're going to restore those partly boarded-up windows to their original size/shape? I sure hope so.

Did nobody make a fuss about that when they were stewing about their heritage concerns?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Work has now begun on the renovation of the Hoy Sun Ning Yung building.

This photo is by Sparky

Pandorawide.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Work has now begun on the renovation of the Hoy Sun Ning Yung building.

Oh goody, another opportunity to slap some cheap-ass hardieplank on 100 year old buildings in the name of preservation.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users