BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#541 Tigger

Tigger
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

I don't understand the intent of this building. The units are so small, I can't imagine owners would wish to live in these suites. Will they all become rentals or vacation rentals?

The layouts are very poor - in fact one layout is absolutely terrifying (see below) - tap, tap, tap... 

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 9.04.42 PM.png

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

Looks like a pretty standard studio layout to me, and in fact it's much larger than the norm. Most studios are in the 350-400 square foot range, and the one below is 452 square feet. It's got a decent sized balcony, too.
  • jonny and Tigger like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

Yeah this bedroom with no window thing... Not gonna sleep in a coffin till it's actually time.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#544 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:28 AM

Yeah this bedroom with no window thing... Not gonna sleep in a coffin till it's actually time.

Think of it like a large den that's big enough to fit a bed. It can but doesn't have to be used as a bedroom.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#545 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

It's the only bedroom for that unit. The above shows two one bedroom units.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#546 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

Although these units would be too small for my household (spouse + myself), I imagine that they'll fit the needs of some people in the market.

Unit 904 is a 'true' 1-bedroom as the bedroom has a window facing the outside.

As Mike said, unit 906 is more like a large studio. 

#547 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

And although small, both layouts seem to be quite efficient and make good use of the space.

• Tigger likes this

#548 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

I don't understand the intent of this building. The units are so small, I can't imagine owners would wish to live in these suites. Will they all become rentals or vacation rentals?

The layouts are very poor - in fact one layout is absolutely terrifying (see below) - tap, tap, tap... 

The intent is housing at the lower end or "entry level" end of the spectrum. It'll be fully occupied within a couple of weeks once completed. Unit 904 looks like a good and pretty typical layout to me. 

#549 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

Cool Facebook ad soundtrack..

https://www.facebook...28885500673721/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#550 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

It's the only bedroom for that unit. The above shows two one bedroom units.

The layouts are a studio and a junior two-bedroom. Junior two-bedrooms are labelled as such as they feature dens that are over-sized, and can fit a bed. Whether the purchasers chooses to use the "junior" bedroom as a bedroom is totally up to them, but I don't think I would if I purchased that unit.

Know it all.

#551 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

"We create spaces that we want to live in." - Mosaic Properties Inc.

Oh, that's a good idea.  That's why I leave my door unlocked, so my landlord/developer can come over and crash, have dinner, do laundry etc. if he wants to.

"I live in spaces that others want to live in"  - VHF

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 September 2017 - 07:56 AM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#552 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

The layouts are a studio and a junior two-bedroom...

904 is a junior 2-bedroom? I can't see any entrance from the rest of that unit into the den/windowless bedroom, not even one of those shoji screen style sliders.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#553 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Wait, hold on.

I've never seen a layout quite like that before. Those two bedrooms (one being the windowless bedroom sd referred to) belong to separate units?

• Tigger likes this

Know it all.

#554 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Cool Facebook ad soundtrack..

https://www.facebook...28885500673721/

I'm pretty sure this was the longest I've ever waited to get a good look at such a large project. Glad to see the back side isn't going to look like a back side. This thing could end up being a pleasant surprise, but methinks the nature of the beige cladding is going to be critical to the overall effect.

Edit: also, I'm thinking there might be too many of the same size/shape windows. On the left side of the orange cylinder on the View St. side there are some narrow windows on the higher floors. I like those. I'm expecting to see those same narrow windows somewhere on the right side of the building but they're AWOL. It might seem trivial but this sort of variation can go a long way re: mitigating that repetitive effect that turns many people off when they look at a large apartment building.

But still, there's a lot going on there with the terraces and such as the building gets taller. The "in context" shot suggests that this building will be quite different and quite a bit more interesting than its immediate neighbours.

JukeboxCondo.png

Edited by aastra, 07 September 2017 - 09:26 AM.

• jonny likes this

#555 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

...Those two bedrooms (one being the windowless bedroom sd referred to) belong to separate units?

That's how I interpret those layouts.

• jonny likes this

#556 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

To my eye, 904 is a one bedroom and 906 is a studio with a den that's intended to be the bedroom. 

• Nparker likes this

#557 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

The red line is how I read the separation between the two units. I've circled the sliding door to the studio's den/bedroom. 

2017-09-07 09_14_11-Downtown Victoria Jukebox _ Condos; commercial _ 9-storeys _ Under constructio.png

• Nparker likes this

#558 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

The great thing about #906 is when you go to sleep at night you are basically in #904.  Cut a hole correctly, and you can wash your hands or get a glass of water at night, by walking to the the back of your closet, and reaching into 904's sink.

Hey, that's a concept.  2-suite cheater bathrooms.  You have a 1.5 bathroom suite.  Your own bathroom, plus an ensuite you share with the adjacent unit.  You could also have a discreet affair with your neighbour's wife, if you work the timing out, and are very quiet.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 September 2017 - 08:22 AM.

• Nparker and LV like this

#559 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

What is really strange is that the project's website seems to have almost moved the building to Fort Street.  ;)

jukebox.JPG

#560 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

On the left side of the orange cylinder on the View St. side there are some narrow windows on the higher floors. I like those. I'm expecting to see those same narrow windows somewhere on the right side of the building but they're AWOL.

It's funny, on the back side the narrow windows ARE distributed in the manner that I was getting at.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users