BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

^ I agree with Dylan. The street wall this brings together is great.

#42 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

You could make the street wall without making the thing a fat scraper.

#43 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

It's not a fatscraper. It's seven stories. It's a normal building.

#44 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

I think that this project will be a net positive for the Harris Green area and for downtown in general. :)

Does anyone know what timeframe is being targetting by the developers for the start of construction (assuming the application for a DP is approved)?

#45 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

It' short and under density but I'd rather this with its streetwall than another Regent's tower with its suburban setbacks.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

^yup.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

^^ Sure, I agree with that. However, I also agree with Aastra that this is to bulky, and that two thin towers with a 2-floor podium could have achieved as good a street presence.

#48 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Victoria shuns the po-to :(
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm still not sure about the ground floor commercial element and if it would be economically viable.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Jukebox developers don't want walkway

By Robert Randall • Published on Tuesday, September 7, 2010 • Categorized as Construction & Land Development, Heritage, Local News, Real-estate

A mid-block walkway is supposed to be a convenient shortcut but two prominent local builders say the City’s request to put one in their latest project mean they will be building a path to nowhere.

In the case of the Jukebox, a walkway would lead to the adjacent building owned by Joseph Egoyan at 1028 Fort Street. Egoyan’s mock-Tudor two-storey won a Hallmark Society award in 1992 for heritage restoration. McColl claims Egoyan is not interested in having his property used as a cut-through and in fact will accept no communications from the developers on the subject. The other side of the walkway would face the blank concrete wall and parking ramp of the Adria condo at 1026 Fort Street. City Hall planners have said in the past that walkways should be built even if it means waiting years for neighbouring properties to develop in order to complete the passageway.

more...

#51 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hum … what best … I think it should just be left as an empty lot … this way, it does not block anybodies view, we don’t have to argue about design, setbacks, walkthroughs, shave five floors, not in my backyard, don’t like the color, the windows, the occupants … etc, etc, etc, etc … maybe just plant lawn and let the campers set up shop here … maybe a trailer on the edge of the property for a needle exchange … just thinking out loud … anyway, anything other than a tall beautiful modern building … or even a short fat fatscraper as you call them … …

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

Egoyan’s mock-Tudor two-storey won a Hallmark Society award in 1992 for heritage restoration.

City Hall planners have said in the past that walkways should be built even if it means waiting years for neighbouring properties to develop in order to complete the passageway.

So is the city trying to say they want the mock-Tudor building to be redeveloped?

I'm still as mystified as ever by this mid-block walkway fetish. Are claustrophobia-inspiring corridors lined by tall blank walls really such a boon to... anything?

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

Rob, to confirm, the project is 8-storeys tall, or 7?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

I would be okay if they went with townhouses along the street instead of commercial but if they think they can make a go of it then good luck to them.

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

Does anybody hate that round part as much as I do? It cheapens the look, to me.

#56 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

I would be okay if they went with townhouses along the street instead of commercial but if they think they can make a go of it then good luck to them.

Yeah I think townhouses would be a better bet economically, maybe work/live zoned. I say to keep Fort and Yates the commercial streets.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

There is nothing wrong with giving commercial space a chance on eastern View.

Know it all.

#58 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

It could be argued that there is already some notable retail in the 800-1000 blocks of View Street (a pharmacy, Harris Green Liquor Merchants, and Frontrunners). A new kitchen cabinet/cabinet showroom opened in the Chelsea Apartments' View Street retail space recently and the corner of View/Vancouver could see new retail developed when the Bottle Depot vacates its space later this year.

Similarly, the 800-1000 blocks of Johnson Street don't have the retail presence of Fort & Yates, but a number of small retailers & cafes (such as the coffee shop @ 932 Fort) occupy the zone and the Atrium will have some Johnson-facing retail space too.

#59 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

So is the city trying to say they want the mock-Tudor building to be redeveloped?

I'm still as mystified as ever by this mid-block walkway fetish. Are claustrophobia-inspiring corridors lined by tall blank walls really such a boon to... anything?

It will have to be sealed off with high wrought iron gates at each end otherwise, it will be a boon to the shopping basket brigade, and the junkies.

#60 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

Why weren't accomodations for the mid-block walkway included in the Adria development on Fort St., which was built just a couple of years ago?

Here is an aerial view of the area involved - http://www.bing.com/...e1=Victoria, BC - Swivel the view 180 degrees to see the other side.

Here's a street view of where the walkway could go - http://maps.google.c...2,24.58,,1,3.42

And from the other side - http://maps.google.c...,191.03,,1,3.23

The City sure seems to be messing up good opportunities for mid-block walkways. The building of both the Wave on Yates St. and the adjacent 860 View St. was a perfect opportunity for a walkway, but it didn't happen, so the City has been trying to get the developer of the property behind the Capital 6 to cram one in on that site, where it wouldn't be nearly as usefull.

Both of these situations seem like poor city planning. Or is it a lack of political power?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)