BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#481 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

April 17, 2017

image.jpeg
  • Nparker and 2F2R like this

#482 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

Condos.

Are they not doing pre-sales?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#483 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

Truly one of the most mysterious developments we've seen in a long time.

Is it a condo, a rental, a chopsticks factory? Who knows for sure what the final design is..

Yet in the end they'll sell out having spent the bare minimum on marketing.
  • thundergun likes this

#484 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

I was told there were going to roll out a low-key online marketing plan back in February but if you search online all you'll find are Google ads for Otto and Yates On Yates.

#485 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Truly one of the most mysterious developments we've seen in a long time.

Is it a condo, a rental, a chopsticks factory? Who knows for sure what the final design is..

Yet in the end they'll sell out having spent the bare minimum on marketing.

Honestly, I don't understand why more developers don't do it.  Spend zero on marketing/sales, finish the building and sell? I guess the fear is getting caught in a down market.  Just seems everyone has left a fortune on the table pre-selling; Encore, Legato, etc.....units at Janion are selling for approx. double pre-sale prices.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#486 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Honestly, I don't understand why more developers don't do it.  Spend zero on marketing/sales, finish the building and sell? I guess the fear is getting caught in a down market.  Just seems everyone has left a fortune on the table pre-selling; Encore, Legato, etc.....units at Janion are selling for approx. double pre-sale prices.

I think Austin Hamilton played it that way.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,167 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Banks won't let developers finance that way, even in a hot market. I think we all remember the loss HSBC saw when they blindly put their money behind Bear Mountain only to eventually have to write their mistake down as their largest loss in North America (for that time-range, at least).

Developers do not necessarily need pre-sales to start digging in this market, as we saw with 595 Pandora, as we're seeing with Customs House and Jukebox, but they will not finance a building through to completion and then start selling.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#488 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Risk mitigation. Why do you think hedging is such a popular tool?

#489 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

I believe this is the most recent version of the View Street entrance.

17862676_1883278368622308_3485557241346979184_n.jpg

• 2F2R and jonny like this

#490 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

It's certainly one of the funkier designs currently in development.

• DavidSchell likes this

#491 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

This is what I have been attempting to advocate for years--other neighbourhoods can have their severe white-on-white square towers but Harris Green should be the funky place where the wild and wacky flourishes and anything goes. Only McColl and Charity seem to get this.
  • aastra and Nparker like this

#492 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

I only wish Jukebox had more curves and eccentricities. I know it's not especially practical, but more curves and more non-90 degree angles would be nice to see in future projects throughout the downtown.

#493 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

I like that idea Rob but I think that the challenge is between having building form dictate a neighbourhood versus having it reflect a neighbourhood. I think it would be hard to see Harris Green as wacky though... Perhaps when downtown has expanded into Fernwood???

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#494 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

I see it as wacky. The Mosaic, The Jigsaw with its crazy coloured glass, the Idar castle and the traditional Japanese construction of Sen Zushi. Along with the Art Deco and mock Tudor, that is as eclectic as Victoria gets.

Here we go:

http://jukeboxvictoria.com/

#495 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

...Here we go: http://jukeboxvictoria.com/

That was fun, but it would be nice to lean a little more about the project itself.

#496 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

I agree, unfortunately funky or daring are not terms particularly synonymous with architecture in this town. I like the fact Jukebox will be different and not just another box or "cube".

Here are some examples of truly inspired and cutting edge architecture from India, some approved and under construction, some still in the concept stage - above all I especially like how they've taken and built upon "traditional" styles of Indian architecture but were not afraid to update and infuse them with entirely contemporary 21st century design elements. The result, as in other global cities like Barcelona, is some unbelievably pleasing architectural form - oh to dream that we would be capable of something like this in our little burgh, albeit on a more minute, micro scale...

http://www.cnn.com/2...osis/index.html

#497 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Signage and scrim is now up at the site.

IMG_1957.JPG
  • Nparker and 2F2R like this

#498 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

If it ends up just like the render then maybe the sign should read "Dare to live in a tacky eyesore!"

#499 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:12 PM

Nobody that buys needs to live there. Just pump them out to investors.
  • Baro likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#500 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

...it would be nice to lean a little more about the project itself.

It would certainly put a different slant on this discussion.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users