BUILT
The Jukebox
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1029 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Jukebox is a nine-storey, mixed-use condominium residence along the 1000-block of View Street in downtown ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Jukebox on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Jukebox | Condos; commercial | 9-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#241 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Here's more info on that project G-man is referring to. It was canceled in 2012.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#242 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

>>>Actually that isn't true a developer wanted to build a great building there a few years ago and the city stopped them from doing it<<<

Same old same old ... sad!

#243 timw11

timw11
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Actually that isn't true a developer wanted to build a great building there a few years ago and the city stopped them from doing it. 

Well that's really unfortunate—that whole area is going to be very undesirable until VTs get's demoed or completely overhauled. 

#244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

We can expect a resurgence of this project soon. More info coming in a little bit.

• AllseeingEye and jonny like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

We can expect a resurgence of this project soon...

Will it involve a re-worked design (he asks hopefully)?

#246 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I'm really not a huge fan of the look and feel of the renderings of this place - although, the most recent rendering is an improvement. At least it's unique.

BUT, it conforms pretty much perfectly to the Harris Green guidelines does it not? It would also be pretty hard to argue that this wouldn't be a massive improvement to this specific property and the area in general.

#247 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

That I do not know at this point but I will have more info soon.

Know it all.

#248 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

Does this development site include the small parking lot at View/Vancouver?

#249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

I don't think so.

Know it all.

#250 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

I don't think so.

That's a shame. Would be nice to see that whole lot filled in.

#251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yes, it would be. You can see the blank wall of the Jukebox in the rendering that will anticipate something happening on that corner at some point in the future.

Know it all.

#252 RileyDog

RileyDog
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

Well, new here and now looking out my south facing window at Regents Park and see some action happening at the JukeBox site. Maybe the start of the project? If so, I have the perfect vantage point and may chronicle with pictures. 

• Mike K. and Mr Cook Street like this

#253 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to VV, RileyDog.  Thanks for joining up!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

That would be great, RileyDog :)

Know it all.

#255 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

Well, new here and now looking out my south facing window at Regents Park and see some action happening at the JukeBox site. Maybe the start of the project? If so, I have the perfect vantage point and may chronicle with pictures. 

Yes please do! And welcome. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#256 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

I wish we could see some better renderings of this.

#257 mcmusty

mcmusty
  • 34 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:52 PM

It's sad this property has now become a camp site village for the homeless. As if public parks weren't enough, the empty lot offers shaded and discrete fauna with no 7am check out.

Police have visited multiple times, but the garbage and waste pile only gets bigger.

#258 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

The owner should push to have them arrested for trespassing on private property.

#259 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

Saw this on SSP.  Perfect building for this location.  From the Jack Condo sitesanctuary-section2.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#260 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

It's quite lovely, especially for a fatscraper, so it would have that going for it from a local-design perspective. Still, the finishing materials look terribly contemporary. Where's the stucco? The red brick? Perhaps some faux-tarnished copper? Add a massive setback, a plaza and a mid-block walkway and this one would be a go in Victoria for certain.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users