Photo

Roxy Theatre

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

My big down side for considering anything to do with the place is the quality of the building. It has always struck me as being pretty low quality construction.

Those old steel corrurgated roof Quonset houses were cheap war surplus buildings. You could put one up in a day and they were easy to maintain, but were colder than a .... in the winter.

#22 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

edit: never mind :P

#23 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Those old steel corrurgated roof Quonset houses were cheap war surplus buildings. You could put one up in a day and they were easy to maintain, but were colder than a .... in the winter.

colder than a hooker's heart?

#24 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

the recent exterior renos are a nice touch, but I agree the place has lost a lot of its charm lately.
The audio in particular is horrible.

#25 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Why not drink right in the seats? The Royal Theatre now is licensed to have 1400 people drinking in their seats, why not at the Roxy? Although I'm not sure if there isn't something right in the liquor rules prohibiting it in movie theatres...

Why is my spell check tingling? Is it theatre in Canada, theater in the US?

When did this take effect?

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

When did this take effect?

About a year ago. Not saying that they have allowed 1434 drinks in the seating yet, but they now have the license to do just that.

Read: http://docs.google.c...lpo_NFWDdnW_evg

The cabaret and bar owners association actually endorsed this increase in the number of licensed seats because it would mean that whatever regulations or conditions the City imposed on the bars, they would also impose on themselves, now that they have the three largest (person-capacity) licenses in the entire city (Save On Foods centre, Royal Athletic Park).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

About a year ago. Not saying that they have allowed 1434 drinks in the seating yet, but they now have the license to do just that.

Read: http://docs.google.c...lpo_NFWDdnW_evg

The cabaret and bar owners association actually endorsed this increase in the number of licensed seats because it would mean that whatever regulations or conditions the City imposed on the bars, they would also impose on themselves, now that they have the three largest (person-capacity) licenses in the entire city (Save On Foods centre, Royal Athletic Park).

Interesting. I've been to quite a few shows at the Royal and alcohol was not allowed. Just water. Maybe it depends what it is.
Anyways I was curious.
Not meaning go off topic here.

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

colder than a hooker's heart?

Colder than a well digger's knee......

....or a witch's tit.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

Portland has a couple of movie theatre's where you can drink while you watch.

Bernard - most newspapers in Canada use Canadian english and have for years. Did a site specific search on times colonist for theatre and pulled up 600k links.

#30 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Colder than a well digger's knee......

....or a witch's tit.

...in a brass brassiere, we used to say back in Quebec in February.

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

...in a brass brassiere, we used to say back in Quebec in February.

Funny...I won't forget that. :P

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:36 AM

Battle of independents

Landmark movie house is up for sale and faces an uncertain future

By Michael D. Reid, Times Colonist July 30, 2010 3:05 AM

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0vAkOwlrO

DFH real estate agent Kevin Sing said most inquires he's received about the Roxy have been from investors who want to be in pictures.

"The smart guy keeps the theatre," he said. "He keeps the street-level facade, puts the screen underground and builds residential on top."

Really? Then why would he chose this location? To get some cheap seating? I think under that logic, then everyone would build a theatre under their residential everywhere. I don't see that happening.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

^ But that would be awesome if they did that.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

This morning council will likely approve the Roxy liquor license application go forward to public hearing.

The application asks for 5pm-12mindight Su-Th and 5pm to 1am Fri/Sat liquor service.

During liquor service hours, it'll be a 19+ venue. If they want to do an all-ages show, they will have to close liquor sales to all.

Liquor sales will also be limited to the hours of, and one hour each side of a showing.

The license is for lobby and theatre seating, 447 persons.

Police, bylaws and general staff have no objections.

#35 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Nice work VHF.

I have had some business dealings with the fellow that bought it from "what's his name" :)

He seems like a regular guy.

He must have some stamina.....I wish him well.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Nice work VHF.

I have had some business dealings with the fellow that bought it from "what's his name" :)

He seems like a regular guy.

Yes, I know him too, we have done a bit of work together. He is just a regular guy, for sure. Mike Sharpe.

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

I used to walk to that theater when I was a smoothed skinned boy.

We should all support Mike and his endeavors if only to preserve a memory.

I would dislike paying the taxes on that property let alone the myriad of capital costs.

They used to have "love seats" in the back row......anybody been there lately?

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

We should all support Mike and his endeavors if only to preserve a memory.

I guess everyone will have an opportunity in a couple months, at the public hearing.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Here's more on the new law, including a quote from Mike:

SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE SHOW | | MLA Ida ChongMLA Ida Chong
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#40 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

This is a great change. Hopefully the Roxy benefits from this.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users