55 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

http://video.ca.msn....=sharepermalink

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

http://www.liveleak...._1286400540&c=1
Korean on a scooter gets angry the person didn't hold the door for him, rams through the door and to his death.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#23 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

That's amazing. If only he had taken a moment to ponder how an elevator actually works. He seems to have assumed that there was an endless train of lifts behind the doors, and that the doors were only there to annoy people. Maybe a lot of people think that?

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Notice how the guy on the 71mph scooter is still alive?

Further proof that it isn't speed that kills, it's stupidity. :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:32 AM

Tonight, a dude on a scooter blew behind me while I was walking, missing me by a couple of inches. I yelled at him to slow down and watch where he was going and he became enraged--telling ME to watch where I was going, as if I should be constantly checking behind me for speeding scooters.

Anyway, this guy didn't take my criticism to heart and instead began yelling, screaming, swearing and insulting me, getting up from his scooter and flailing and swinging his canes at me. I mean, this guy was insane with rage because I dared to comment on his dangerous driving. I was too stunned to note to him that ICBC says scooters should travel at a walking pace and that a bell or horn should be used when overtaking pedestrians.

As much as I would have enjoyed beating the crap out of this self-righteous dope with his own cane, common sense got the better of me and I decided to disengage and walk away before something stupid happened.

Of course this guy played the sympathy card by screaming at me that I was discriminating against the disabled which I laughed at because I would have yelled at anyone who came close to making me eligible for a wheelchair, be it a scooter user, skateboarder or sidewalk cyclist.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:51 AM

^ Scooter rage....who would have thought?

The Brits dealt with a speed limit a few years ago. The comments after the following article are priceless.

http://www.dailymail...y-scooters.html

How about this story arising out of "tranquil Victoria"

http://www.thepassin...e-incident.html

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:59 AM

I'm not sure I like the idea of microwaving seniors on scooters with radar guns...

What's next, spike belts for unruly seniors on their scooters?

#28 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

I hate how those 2 wheel electric scooters are legal on the goose trail. They are much faster than bikers and way less courteous!

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

^Yes! They're fast as a motorbike but silent like a bicycle. And I haven't seen one with a bell. Most cyclists on the Goose are courteous and speak or ding as they are passing but the electric bike users seem to be a group unto themselves.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#30 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

Three times in the past year I have seen an adult with down syndrome driving his scooter ON THE ROAD.

The first time I saw him he was travelling north on Shelbourne in that really narrow part in between North Dairy and Cedar Hill. I was shocked. It was so dangerous.

The second time was on Cook St in Cook St Village during a very busy afternoon and the third time was in Beacon Hill park.

#31 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Three times in the past year I have seen an adult with down syndrome driving his scooter ON THE ROAD.

The first time I saw him he was travelling north on Shelbourne in that really narrow part in between North Dairy and Cedar Hill. I was shocked. It was so dangerous.

The second time was on Cook St in Cook St Village during a very busy afternoon and the third time was in Beacon Hill park.

I see this guy all the time! I've seen him on Douglas and on Hillside. He completely takes up the bike lane on streets, forcing people on bicycles to go out into traffic to get around him. The last time I saw him he was on Blanshard waiting at the Caledonia intersection about three car lengths back from the crosswalk. I know a lot of other people who have commented on him as well.

#32 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

I agree that the scooter user involved in the road rage incident should be charged with assault. and the Downs' guy who uses his mom's scooter should get a warning from the police followed by confiscation of the scooter (I don't think his mother uses it anymore).
Pieta VanDyke

#33 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

I hate how those 2 wheel electric scooters are legal on the goose trail. They are much faster than bikers and way less courteous!

I find the problem to be that the electric scooters are too slow and impede my progress and are larger than bikes and so I have to move over farther to pass them. Plus yeah a lot of them are complete douchebags and swerve all over the place and act like yahoos.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

Vic PD blog:

admin | March 16, 2011 in News

15 March 2011 - 0845 hours – Kings and Quadra – A woman came to the front counter at HQ and reported that she was walking to work when an elderly male on an electric scooter zoomed by her striking her on the left heel. This caused the woman to fall to ground striking her head in the process. The scooter driver made no effort to stop and assist and carried on down Quadra Street.

A passing cyclist stopped to assist the woman and suggested she go to hospital as he observed that she had received an abrasion over her eye. The woman however was able to get herself home and was assisted to the hospital by a family member. During treatment the woman learned she had received a scape to her nose and cheek, a black eye, scrapes to both knees and a sore ankle. Five stitches were required to close the cut on her right eyebrow area.

The scooter driver is described as an elderly white male, with white hair. He was wearing a cream coloured jacket and a golfer’s hat. He was driving a candy-apple red scooter which had the chair raised all the way up and did not appear to have side rails for arms. It is unknown if the man was even aware of what he had done in this incident.

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

...The scooter driver is described as an elderly white male, with white hair. He was wearing a cream coloured jacket and a golfer’s hat..

That describes 50% of the make population of the region.:D

#36 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

the anger against the handicap ,downs syndrome, shown here truly let's me wonder if there is any compassion for persons around you..having mobility issues I fear the day I will depend on a scooter ...and 4 mph?? not likely ..

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

kenjh, I think you are reading too much against "handicap, downs syndrome"

I read back and for the most part the comments were about one particular person.

The thread is about "sidewalk scooter use" and how the increasing use of these products might be affecting pedestrians sharing the same sidewalk.

As these products become more sophisticated the rules of the sidewalk may need to change.

Have a look at this bad boy parked in front of Heron Rock on Sunday. I was impressed with the technology, but I felt for the strollers at the same time.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

^I dig those little red scooters. They're like a Smart Car cut in half. I think it would be a cozy way to get about town!

the anger against the handicap ,downs syndrome, shown here truly let's me wonder if there is any compassion for persons around you.

There is no anger expressed here. Only concern for a mentally impaired person operating a sidewalk scooter on major arteries like Shelbourne and Yates St. contrary to the Motor Vehicle Act.

Actually, your idea that the disabled should be immune from criticism is itself condescending, and does them no favours.

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

^ $6k

#40 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

one of your better ,,,tag lines,, safety through education ,not enforcement...sounds so hollow .....a great idea ,how ,if possible could we improve education and the safety for both sides???

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users