Urban Golf Courses

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

... while they are at it they should close Topaz and connect the Sj Willis grounds to make it a really big park.

I agree.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Better areas for re-development and density than golf courses. Consider downtown. Though i couldn't afford membership at many golf courses, when the value of the land exceeds their membership revenue, i'm sure they will consider. Not a likely event in my opinion.

#43 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

^ Its hard to imagine how the members of Victoria Golf Club would not all be better off from a purely financial point of view by selling their land and developing it. They simply choose not to do it.

#44 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

With the closing of bowling alleys at Mayfair and T&C there's fewer activities for the older crowd. Not everyone likes (or is capable of) doing snowboarding and rollerblading.

That said, I go by Uplands and Victoria GCs and my mind explodes at the thought of how much that land is worth as real estate. Let's say it was rezoned to SFD. A billion dollars? More?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#45 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

^ Its hard to imagine how the members of Victoria Golf Club would not all be better off from a purely financial point of view by selling their land and developing it. They simply choose not to do it.

Because they don't need the money.
Is it not a fact that the initiation fee is actually purchase of a share in the club?
I'm pretty sure it is with many and the share can be sold or willed to someone.
In the end it may be worth more than the purchase price. Can anybody confirm this?

#46 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

City of Victoria does have a free golf course in Beacon Hill Park.

I'm assuming that you were serious with that comment because if you were I would hardly call a practice putting green with 3 or 4 holes a "free golf course".

By the way, there are no urban golf courses in Victoria. They are all either suburban or rural.
In chains by Keynes

#47 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

I'm pretty sure Beacon Hill is an 18-hole putting green.

#48 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Not knowing where to ask this, I thought this thread might work

What does anyone know about all the building going on at the Victoria Golf Club in Oak Bay

#49 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

^ It looks like a maintenance facility. Their home page refers to it as a "Turf Care Centre."

That must be Oak Bay lingo for "shed" :)

http://www.victoriag...-george-porter/

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Cedar Hill Golf restaurant scaling back

Citing the HST, stricter liquor laws and the struggling economy, Saanich announced last week it would be scaling back the restaurant at the Cedar Hill Golf Course. The restaurant faced a $342,000 deficit in 2011.

Effective Feb. 18, it will switch over from a full-service restaurant to a light food and beverage service.

Open house on golf course deficit set for Monday

Cedar Hill golf course's nearly half-million-dollar deficit will be up for discussion at an open house Monday (Jan. 30).

Both the golf side of the operation, as well as the clubhouse side of things, have been in the red for a number of years.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

A round of golf at Cedar Hill ranges from $35 to $48. Their website says fees have gone down which implies that they have reduced prices in order to gain more traffic. Yet revenues aren't covering expenses. I assume if they raised fees in an attempt to cover costs they would experience a massive drop in attendance.

The question is, is this sustainable, or should we accept that golf needs subsidizing like Saanich's other sports facilities, like tennis, soccer or lacrosse?

Marko or others: any guesses on what the market value of the golf course is if it were rezoned for residential?

#52 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Not knowing where to ask this, I thought this thread might work

What does anyone know about all the building going on at the Victoria Golf Club in Oak Bay

The one by the road is a maintenance building.

#53 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

Quite the contrasts in fortunes between the two courses.

Out on the water, that is one heckuva shed. And it looked like a crew was surveying the exact slope of a bunker being redug this morning.

At Cedar Hill, I don't know if just because the golf course doesn't work that residential would be best alternative... there are lots of other rec uses for a big lot in the middle of Saanich. A motocross course springs to mind :)

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

Open house on golf course deficit set for Monday

Cedar Hill golf course's nearly half-million-dollar deficit will be up for discussion at an open house Monday (Jan. 30).

Both the golf side of the operation, as well as the clubhouse side of things, have been in the red for a number of years.

The chip trail around the course is one of the best in the area, and is well used by walkers and joggers.

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

^ If they charged for that they would be in the black in no time. Say .25 cents a loop.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

The District of Saanich has scheduled a public meeting to discuss financial shortfalls at the Cedar Hill Golf Course.

Tonight's meeting is scheduled for 7pm in the Cedar Hill Golf Course Banquet Room.

http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

The civil servant in charge of these things said on CBC today closure is not an option, nor is privatization.

The cause of the shortfall is simple. Declining attendance means declining revenue.

But how can that be fixed? You can push golf on kids, that's a good wholesome (if not cheap) sport. But that's more of a long-term solution. Cutting fees is unlikely to do anything. I'm sure anyone that wants to golf is able to.

Cutting expenditures? I'm sure it's already a fairly lean operation but I suppose they could cut back on some maintenance. But is that a good idea?

Don't laugh, but the only way I know of to boost short term revenue is liquor sales on the fairways.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'd have to think a residential development smack in the middle of that course would be worth something. Is it feasible to sell off a portion of the golf course property? The old practice range is still going unused, isn't it?

Edit: after reviewing the Bing.com aerial pictures, it would seem that I'm misinformed about the state of the practice range. So is it being used regularly, open to the public and all of that?

In any event, methinks three little condo buildings of the Mattick's Farm variety would fit comfortably there, and with no disruption either to the golf course or to the neighbours around the golf course. How much money could they raise from something like that?

#59 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

if they bump up the rates to $50-60 its then competing directly on price and offering with Cordova Bay which is a better course ditto highland pacific.

what that also tells me is that a privatised but public golf course can operate effectively at that sort of price point.

I would suggest they sell it to a professional manager who, if you go by the competition is going to charge effectively the same rates, and manage it better.

provide a few carveouts in the sale document that prohibit it from ever being residential or a members only club.

the next closest public golf course is 10km away and southern victoria/oak bay don't have a public golf course of quality they can get to. given that this course is already established and relatively minimal renovations could improve the quality of the course, you'd think a private owner could actually charge less than cordova and highland.

if that's off the table - increase liquor offering, attract more events or weddings, or invest a few hundred thousand into improving the course so that the quality offering is comparable to highland and cordova - that should increase the player numbers. if a $10 saving in fees is all that is between you and playing 10km further away and at a much better golf course - you're going to drive the extra distance if you're a serious golfer in the 27-50 age bracket.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

^They would also have to figure out how to add 800-1000 yards to it as well.

Right now it is halfway between an executive course and a regular course.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users