Photo
- - - - -

Oak Bay Bikes in Langford? Confusing business names.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

In Langford today, I noticed a new Oak Bay Bikes location on Kelly Road.

It got me thinking about local businesses that have names that have nothing to do with their location. Usually because the business has relocated or made a second branch and decided to keep the old name.

There's Hillside Printing (on Nanaimo Street).
Broadmead Flowers (on Shelbourne, just north of Bay)
Oak Bay Flowers on Douglas at Pandora

On a related note, visit the Upstairs Hair Salon's new downstairs location.

Any others?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

Old Town Strings is on Hillside, and Cedar Hill Auto is right beside Hillside Printing on Nanaimo.

#3 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:06 AM

London Drugs

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

China Cleaners on lower Johnson Street.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

American Apparel, although technically it's right. But nobody ever accused us of living in America.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

London Drugs is disqualified because this Vancouver-originated chain was named after the British capital.

Old Town Strings is a good one. I forgot about that.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

American Apparel, although technically it's right. But nobody ever accused us of living in America.

? American Apparel is an American chain out of LA.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

In Langford today, I noticed a new Oak Bay Bikes location on Kelly Road.

There's also one in Nanaimo

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

? American Apparel is an American chain out of LA.

I know, I'm giving wrong answers on purpose. I'm also pretty sure it's mostly Chinese Apparel in origin.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

Irish Linen
Japanese Village

#11 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

There are a lot of people who insist we live "here in the North-west".
I get baffled looks when I note that we are in SW Canada according to the map. Maybe some of these people have already abandoned Canada in their mind.

There's Oak Bay Optical on north Quadra Street.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

Which kind of gets me thinking. If you have an American-style restaurant in the rest of the world, they'll think of standard NA dishes, or maybe a US diner style. Do they have any Canadian-style restaurants in the rest of the world? I mean, we don't have any New Zealand-style restaurants around here.

Am I off topic?

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

There's Oak Bay Optical on north Quadra Street.

It looks like Oak Bay is the runaway winner in the prestige naming contest. Kinda like all the companies with "Cadillac" in their name.

#14 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

I know, I'm giving wrong answers on purpose. I'm also pretty sure it's mostly Chinese Apparel in origin.

Nah, their whole shtick is that they use sweatshop labour right in the US of A...

http://www.americana...ct/profile.html

#15 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Which kind of gets me thinking. If you have an American-style restaurant in the rest of the world, they'll think of standard NA dishes, or maybe a US diner style. Do they have any Canadian-style restaurants in the rest of the world? I mean, we don't have any New Zealand-style restaurants around here.

Am I off topic?

What would a kiwi resto be like? I've never been there.
What style would distinguish it as a CDN resto?
Fur trapper paraphernalia decor? Mountie pics and other cliches?
Brian Adams on the CD changer? Ouch.
The menu would be limited and not too sexy.
Butter tarts? Yawn.
Fish n'brewis? Even some newfies have a hard time getting that down.
Poutine? Quebec, really.

I've been in CDN bars/pubs in Asia but they had to have a big maple leaf flag and large hockey posters for anyone to know.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

Nah, their whole shtick is that they use sweatshop labour right in the US of A...

http://www.americana...ct/profile.html

Huh, I did not know that.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

Victoria Lampshade Shop:
http://maps.google.c...,181.78,,0,1.63

The southwestern part of Canada is in the northwestern part of North America. In my life I've never called it the southwest and I doubt it would ever catch on if we started doing it now.

#19 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

I guess Victoria Marriott Humboldt Valley doesn't have the same cachet. :cool:

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

I think that's fine. Ross Bay Pub. James Bay whatever. It need not be at water's edge.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users