Photo

Shark Club

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

I can assure you the dress code at Shark became very smaller about three years ago, I was in the industry and saw it. Now, I don't know if she worked across that period, but if she did, then I can almost see her case.

It was my understanding that she was a recent hire and had only worked there a couple of weeks.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

Shark Club / Sandman UK expansion:

http://newcastle.ukc...l-o1563369.html

Pic on Facebook.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

So yeah, the clientele at the Shark Club AND most of the people on this thread are MEN. figures..
"They don't have to work there if they don't want to" Are you SERIOUS?!
I've been to the Shark Club, it was a testosterone filled jock club with no women there except for the waitresses. I felt uncomfortable there and wouldn't go back. NO WOMAN should be FORCED to go to work with her tatas hanging out. This is objectifying and dehumanising and exploits women that are just trying to make a living, not to be LEERED at by some middle aged creep.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

So yeah, the clientele at the Shark Club AND most of the people on this thread are MEN. figures..

I do web work for the Shark Club. 41% of their (Victoria) Facebook Fans are female.

"They don't have to work there if they don't want to" Are you SERIOUS?!
I've been to the Shark Club, it was a testosterone filled jock club with no women there except for the waitresses. I felt uncomfortable there and wouldn't go back. NO WOMAN should be FORCED to go to work with her tatas hanging out. This is objectifying and dehumanising and exploits women that are just trying to make a living, not to be LEERED at by some middle aged creep.

Nobody is forcing anyone to work there. I presume most new hires go in knowing full well what the uniform is. Exotic dancers in BC are forced to work with their clothes completely off.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Saw this in Monday magazine..felt like a major slap in the face to every woman in this city. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall to see the creative brief on that one. Title:"Women in skimpy tight pants with lots of T&A" for some wierd reason they are shovelling snow..ohhh Zamboni very smart. And the guys are leering.

Fact is, women are taking over the corporate and business world.. in practically every board room there is a woman and frankly, they're not going to put up with this crap from men anymore. You are confusing sex with power, two very different things. It's insulting to half of the human race. Dinosaurs like this "ad campaign" (loose term) are going to be a distant memory. See ya later pal.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

Isn't Victoria's brothel operated by a woman?

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. And speaking of exotic dancers in BC, "ladies night" at the Fox is pretty popular, I hear.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

"No one is forcing them to work there" Give me a royal break. That argument is WEAK and so 1982.
No one should be forced to degrade themselves or be sexualized if they don't choose to. Women should be able to have a CHOICE to work wherever they want and wear a uniform that does not degrade them.

Just because they are working in the restaurant industry and trying to make a living does not mean they want to be sexualized. The rub here is that yes, some women choose to show cleavage, some don't, but this owner is demanding that they do, that's taking away their rights. This is not the sex trade, it's serving hamburgers and fries.

Women that strip and sell their bodies have a whole different set of circumstances, and putting these women in that category is showing how uneducated and dispassionate this owner is.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

"No one is forcing them to work there" Give me a royal break. That argument is WEAK and so 1982.
No one should be forced to degrade themselves or be sexualized if they don't choose to. Women should be able to have a CHOICE to work wherever they want and wear a uniform that does not degrade them.

Just because they are working in the restaurant industry and trying to make a living does not mean they want to be sexualized. The rub here is that yes, some women choose to show cleavage, some don't, but this owner is demanding that they do, that's taking away their rights. This is not the sex trade, it's serving hamburgers and fries.

Women that strip and sell their bodies have a whole different set of circumstances, and putting these women in that category is showing how uneducated and dispassionate this owner is.

You obviously don't get out much.

Go to the Cactus Club, Irish Times, Earl's or any other downtown hangout and you will find women wearing the same skimpy outfits that you find at the Shark Club.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

^True. It's more of the norm rather than an exception these days.

Slinkyo, do you realize that you're actually imposing your views and opinions on the women who choose to work at establishments that you believe have improper attire requirements? These women are not forced to work there. They choose to work there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

And the reason why many of the women choose to work at these places and wear skimpy outfits is that the tips are DAMN good.

#31 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

I completely disvalidated that argument, And you're still bleating the same words in different order..
Listening skills men, LISTENING SKILLS.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Isn't Victoria's brothel operated by a woman?

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. And speaking of exotic dancers in BC, "ladies night" at the Fox is pretty popular, I hear.

Brothel, singular? There is more than one in the CoV.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Slinkyo, it's kind of the same reason that actors are generally good-looking. People are pleased by that. Same when they are dining.

Slinkyo, pop into the Red Fox Exotic Showroom on a Friday night after 7pm. You'll find the crowd is mostly 20-30 year olds, and the male-female make-up will be about 50-50. Everyone loves attractive women, not just dirty old men like me (or "middle-aged creeps", as you describe them).

You can deny it, dislike it, and think it is very sad of society, but you can't argue that sexy women don't sell and draw crowds, or will not be the norm in a few years. Not gonna happen.

#34 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

I completely disvalidated that argument, And you're still bleating the same words in different order..

I'm sorry, you did what to his argument? You disvalidated it!? Really? BAHAHAHAHA!! Gee, I must be getting old, as I must have misremembered learning that word!

"Language skills lady, LANGUAGE SKILLS"

#35 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

there have been places that when they first opened even here in victoria that asked for "Head shots" with resumes.

you can tell right away when you walk in to a place to hand a resume in if it's for you or not.

there are plenty of places that dont require the low cut tops.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Brothel, singular? There is more than one in the CoV.

I meant to say downtown Victoria, unless there are multiple establishments within downtown Victoria (I'm only aware of one, though).

:confused:

Know it all.

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Tiny bit off topic...do you think that a potential employer can advertise a position with the caveat that the potential employee shall not smoke?

#38 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Many employers simply do not have an area where an employee can smoke at all, or patrons for that matter. It's pretty tough to dictate what your staff may or may not do before or after work.

If you don't want your staff smoking at work, simply do not provide them a space to do it in.

Matt.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

Tiny bit off topic...do you think that a potential employer can advertise a position with the caveat that the potential employee shall not smoke?

I don't think so. But of course, they can insist that any smoking is done only during a scheduled coffee or lunch break, and off company property if company property is all non-smoking.

#40 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

... and as we know, restaurant people almost never get regular scheduled breaks. :)

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users