Photo

Suburban sprawl in the CRD

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

Ok, so you understand first hand how important outside space can be for people, and why there is such high demand for single family dwellings.

And why we need to evolve beyond SFH to other kinds of ground-oriented.

• Nparker likes this

#82 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

To combat sprawl, yet allow folks to have outside space, you're proposing row-houses or at least du/tri/fourplexes, with basement suites (a rarity, but not impossible)?

You likely rent as well (unless you own, and rent the upstairs), as suite ownership isn't something that exists here, as far as I know.

Row homes and even fee simple ones still do not address everything SFH owners want. The majority of people living here want SFH living and ownership, that's rather obvious by the current 'sprawl' and the demand in areas like Westhills and Royal Bay.

The only way to build more true SFH is with sprawl or infill - there isn't a lot of infill left that isn't parkland though.

#83 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

So you get 10, maybe 12 row houses in a footprint that would normally allow a building of 10+ storeys. That doesn't sound like a great use of land in the core.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

When I was a child, I lived near these townhouses, built around 1972 maybe.  Just market 3br rentals.   But they had a decent play areas, for the kind of budget structure they are.  The one fail was the asphalt "roller rink" the arrow points to it.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-04 15-17-01.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

We've already evolved, and now it all comes to personal choice. It would certainly help, though, if our governments stopped trying to restrict the supply of apartments in the urban core as there's plenty of demand for that style of living, but at the low densities we typically see with that style of living can be prohibitively expensive ($300k for a 450 sq ft one bedroom in Victoria compared to $499k for two bedrooms, two baths, 1,500 sq feet, a garage, a yard and in some cases even a secondary suite opportunity to help pay the mortgage).

A friend recently moved out of an apartment he was renting with his wife and a baby. They didn't want to leave the core but they also couldn't afford $550-$600k for a two bedroom, 1.5 bath condo when a SFD in Langdord offered two bedrooms, two levels, a yard, a deck, two baths and a garage for $425k. Their home is now worth closer to $500k given the market, so they really lucked out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

When I was a child, I lived near these townhouses, built around 1972 maybe.  Just market 3br rentals.   But they had a decent play areas, for the kind of budget structure they are.  The one fail was the asphalt "roller rink" the arrow points to it.

This family-friendly strata complex was on the right track, I think probably owners have been too cheap to make a decent investment in the grounds.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-04 15-38-30.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

We own a townhouse in the Parkside Place complex, the grounds are immaculate and well cared for.  Some of the owners limited common property is better cared for than others obviously, but the common areas are very well maintained, especially the pool.  Oh, that pool ... 

They are CHEAP and well built in the early 60's, nice mix of condos and townhouses.  The strata corp is well run to boot.  Highly recommended if you are poor but would rather own than rent.  :)

Most of it's been repaved, play area is rebuilt now, roofs are all new about five years ago, and a full time grounds person to take care of it. No litter, no graffiti, no hassle.  Property manager is hard ass.

Good use of density IMO.  There was talk some time ago of a land swap or buyout from Rio Can when they gained approval to build the residential portion out at Tillicum Mall, but it never happened.

Matt.

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:15 PM

We own a townhouse in the Parkside Place complex, the grounds are immaculate and well cared for.  Some of the owners limited common property is better cared for than others obviously, but the common areas are very well maintained, especially the pool.  Oh, that pool ... 

They are CHEAP and well built in the early 60's, nice mix of condos and townhouses.  The strata corp is well run to boot.  Highly recommended if you are poor but would rather own than rent.   :)

Most of it's been repaved, play area is rebuilt now, roofs are all new about five years ago, and a full time grounds person to take care of it. No litter, no graffiti, no hassle.  Property manager is hard ass.

Good use of density IMO.  There was talk some time ago of a land swap or buyout from Rio Can when they gained approval to build the residential portion out at Tillicum Mall, but it never happened.

Matt.

I stand corrected and will admit I have not been there in nearly a decade.  Or more?  Anyway, a company I worked for did a fair amount of renovation work there.  I liked the units.

#89 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Some of them are pimped out pretty good, nice original hardwood, good dry 4' crawlspaces... some of the 3 beds have been turned into 2 beds with a nice master suite.  1200 square feet over two floors, small but gives you some flexibility.  Loads of storage space too.  There have been a few terrible owners over the years I'm sure.  Close to Marble Arch and the Western Gentleman too. ;)

Growing up in Victoria, I must have gone past this property a million times but had no idea it existed until we looked at a couple of the units about 10 years ago.  It's sunk down from the highway so you only see the tops of the roofs, and there's a high fence on the Tillicum side.  Floating in that pool as the sun sets is pretty awesome.  

The three bed townhouses go for about $280 I think, cheaper than renting in most cases.

Matt.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

Ya, some were done up very nice inside, which throw you a bit from the somewhat bland exterior.

The townhouses are essentially row homes.  I think they all have the concrete steps up to the door.

screenshot-www.mariafurtado.com 2016-08-04 21-40-30.png

• Matt R. likes this

#91 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

Here is one: https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8Z1M1

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

Right!  That's one of the condo units.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users