Photo

[Downtown Victoria] SoMA condo | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#21 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

This sounds like a perfect building for a small lot like this. You can't cram 20 storey towers everywhere.

Why not? It's downtown, if not here than where?

Oh yeah, Langford...that's where :roll:

Besides, there's a big difference between 6 and 20 floors. How about 10 floors?

#22 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

or CAN you? :lol:

#23 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

sorry to double-post, but where do you guys get these pictures, with lot numbers and all?

#24 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Since there's discussion of the surrounding area.
A little zoomy outier:

how did you know I had an outie?? :?:

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

I guess you don't really want the tenants in the Sussex and these residents only a few feet away from each other.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

Seriously, a highrise would look terrible smack up against the Sussex tower. But I agree they could go two or three stories higher with no ill effects.

#28 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

Here's my proposal

#29 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

hey this is fun!!!!

I have a better idea.....be right back!

#30 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

sorry to double-post, but where do you guys get these pictures, with lot numbers and all?

maps.crd.bc.ca

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

They are not seriously proposing a double width garage on the front of this? Right in the middle?

Come on a building of this size could get away with a single width garage like the one on Chatham.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#32 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

By flipping the tower and moving it eastward you bring more space to the sussex..... Thus the taller tower doesn't interfere with it. and it looks good.

#33 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

I would prefer this location was 100% office building. I hope Victoria doesn't repeat the situation that Vancouver has got itself into.

#34 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

^^^^Which is?

Doc Sage

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

Here are some higher res scans:

The large acacia tree visible in the photo will be removed and replaced with another tree further left (if they get permission).

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

Oxford is referring to the "moratorium" on condo construction in certain areas of Downtown Vancouver.

The planning department has imposed what amounts to a moratorium on new residential construction in key areas of the downtown peninsula, while it conducts a 15-month study of the city’s future prospects and needs. “We’ve drawn a line in the sand for commerce,” Mayor Sullivan says, “and we aren’t allowing condos within there.”

http://www.governing...icles/7down.htm

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Great renderings there.

I still see the need for consolidating an adjacent lot (which was/is for sale!!!). The land in the centre of downtown is too valuable for buildings fitting for a 1970's Victoria.

But that's just me.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Thumbs down on the metal grill/gate entry door to the offices unless they do something interesting/artistic with the metal.

Thumbs down on having 3 window panels in the ground floor retail instead of 1 big window.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

I don't know, Derf...in some cases, I like narrow lots, especially for low-rise projects like this.

I wonder if they could make the driveway narrower. And I don't like the grated entrance, either.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

My biggest issue with this development is walling off several floors of the Sussex. That's unnecessary and could be avoided by building in the middle of this lot and the adjacent lot (the one with Japanese Village).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users