Photo

Was justice served in the Basi Virk trial?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

B.C.'s top trial judge has ordered newspaper ads to be run seeking to locate people who have received "special" indemnities similar to those granted in the controversial $6 million Basi-Virk case. [...]

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1gu4KdX2l

#62 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

The terms in the agreement are that the any portion of line that is discontinued reverts to the Crown. The Crown has the right the agreement to sell this land to CN for $1 but is not required to do so.

The Crown is free to do whatever it wants with the land and I doubt would sell CN any of the land for $1, certainly not all the very valuable lands between North Vancouver and Mount Currie.

The moment CN officially discontinues any line, the land is no longer CN's to use any tenants become tenants of the Crown.

Call me suspicious, Bernard, but with the payoff to Basi/Virk, and the quick deal done over the WFP lands west of Sooke, I'm really skeptical that the current administration would act in the best interests of us taxpayers if/when push came to shove over the railbed...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#63 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

^ Thanks Spanky. I was starting to get that feeling due to lack of discussion. This topic may be just for die hard political junkies.

I think I will put this to bed for a while unless (until) it hits the front page of the TC.

Well, I kept my promise. Here is the topic on the front page of the TC (at least the digital version)

http://www.timescolo...3856/story.html

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Word on the street is Basi is back in the real estate business, with two Victoria homes, one of which is occupied by his dear mother. The kicker is, the backyard contains a little lean-to shack, rented out to a bottle scrounger at a rate of only $200 per month. The only utility is electricity, provided by a very long extension cord. I expect the local bylaw enforcer to pay a visit.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#65 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

A little news report about Brian Kieran, a public complainer about the Carbon Tax.

gjBmbueuMq8

#66 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

0bl5G810a74

#67 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

And what about the sudden Gary Collins resignation?

Bingo that is an excellent question and one of the pieces of the puzzle that still has been left unanswered.

My personal opinion is that he resigned because he didn't like the way that the Government was doing business. It is an interesting fact that after almost 10 years of legal wrangling in the Basi Virk trial, the defendants plead guilty, $6 million in legal fees are unlawfully forgiven on the eve that Collins was about to testify.

Could it be that Collins was about to spill the beans? Perhaps we will never know without an inquiry. Another coincidence?

#68 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

^^ Here is an interesting perspective written in 2005.

http://caterwauls.bl...esignation.html

#69 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

Bingo that is an excellent question and one of the pieces of the puzzle that still has been left unanswered.

My personal opinion is that he resigned because he didn't like the way that the Government was doing business. It is an interesting fact that after almost 10 years of legal wrangling in the Basi Virk trial, the defendants plead guilty, $6 million in legal fees are unlawfully forgiven on the eve that Collins was about to testify.

Could it be that Collins was about to spill the beans? Perhaps we will never know without an inquiry. Another coincidence?

He resigned as he was offered a very lucrative position being CEO of a new airline making about 5x what he was as an MLA

#70 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

He resigned as he was offered a very lucrative position being CEO of a new airline making about 5x what he was as an MLA

Which he left in December 2006

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Until he realized his boss was nuts!

In 2009 Ho was charged with unlawful confinement, cocaine possession and possession of an unregistered firearm in relation to an incident involving a prostitute. On February 2, 2012, he pled guilty to a charge of unlawful confinement and was given a one year suspended sentence, 45 hours of community service and a $5,000 fine.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#72 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Until he realized his boss was nuts!

I don't think that incident qualifies as identifying him as nuts.

You may, or may not, be surprised at how often scenarios like that play out in that strata of society.

Vancouver was rife with "characters" during the heydays who did things like this and worse, you just didn't hear so much about it. Remember J Bob Carter, Murray Pezim et al?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#73 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Here is what Bob Mackin has to say.

Auditor General Finds No Fault in Basi-Virk Repayment

Ten days shy of the 10th anniversary of the police raid on the British Columbia Legislature, Auditor General Russ Jones delivered a long-awaited report investigating how government pays the private legal bills of public workers. [...]

http://www.thetyee.c...Virk-Repayment/

#74 phx

phx
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

It still stinks.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users