8289 replies to this topic

#1981 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hmm, interesting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1982 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

They say they did, but we don't think it's true.  We'll see.  Loblaws has enough money they'd at least patch up the embarrassing floor even if they planned a reno soon.  But the size does not jive with their longer-range planes.  They want bigger, to expand food.

I hope they do either move or seriously renovate.  I would prefer renovate because I like having chapters there  That section of douglas is embaressing for our city and attracts undesirables.  I would love a reno that made it more or less equivelant to the london drugs on granville and georgia in Vancouver.  If they can fix it up and something moves into the empty bank next door, then we just need a tower where the macs is and douglas will be perfect

#1983 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

That section of douglas is embaressing for our city and attracts undesirables.

Ya sure ..........................the inner harbour causeway also attracts undesireables

Can you believe that I saw someone smoking on thecauseway and they were not caring that the smoke was heading towards the front door of the empress hotel.....Very undesireable.

I have walked past the Douglas Shoppers many time past "undesireables" but they never bothered me.

#1984 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

Well, maybe its just me but when I walk down that block I sometimes feel like I'm getting a cross section into the mopiest, most dysfunctional members of society.  I was thinking stores that weren't derelict or empty and maybe a few residents that took pride in the area could help

• Nparker likes this

#1985 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

Would the old Staples space be big enough?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 13 August 2014 - 06:52 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1986 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Would the old Staples space be big enough?

No, it's tiny really.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1987 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

That section from Yates to View has always attracted a variety of folks but most city centres do.

That old Metropolitan building really need sthe help of a D6 Cat

#1988 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

The Chapters space is three levels -- I suppose if they were to move they could have two levels for retail sales and the bottom level for storage but that space is absolutely huge.

The best thing that could happen is a redevelopment of their building. The thing is an absolute eyesore.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1989 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Any idea where Chapters would move to? Not a lot of large, available spots in the core that would suit them that I can think of.

#1990 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

In general I don't root for highrises or even junior highrises anywhere west of Douglas Street but methinks that spot is the exception. I think I'd be okay with something in the 10-12 story range there.

#1991 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Any idea where Chapters would move to? Not a lot of large, available spots in the core that would suit them that I can think of.

I think they are cursing the fact they even moved into downtown.   Bolen Books on the other hand, is very thankful they did not choose a mall instead.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1992 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

I'd love to see whatever remediation include that building on the corner (old bank?). Bulldoze all of it and start over.

#1993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

I can see Chapters moving to the former Staples location. It would be a smaller location and still benefit from a busy bus stop and lots of walk-by traffic.

Know it all.

#1994 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

I think they are cursing the fact they even moved into downtown.

I'm pretty sure there's a Chapters/Indigo in a key downtown location in most cities/regions larger than, say 150K people. They must do well enough to justify the higher rents. I don't see them selling more books at Mayfair, for example.

That being said, maybe most Victorians are buying books downtown are going to Munro's or Russell's.

I don't think the Staples location would be a smart move. It's smaller, somewhat hidden away and you can find most of the books used for half the price literally across the street.

#1995 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

^ah, good call regarding Russell's being right across the street.

I mean for all we know they're still staying put -- it's a great location for them albeit quite large.

Know it all.

#1996 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

^ah, good call regarding Russell's being right across the street.

I mean for all we know they're still staying put -- it's a great location for them albeit quite large.

Indigo still has a bit of term left on their lease (expires 2016, cant recall exact month). Loblaws has signed a lease (for SDM) with the owner of 1212 Douglas (Chapters Building). Timing of relocation from 1222 Douglas to 1212 Douglas could be prior to this date if Indigo agrees to have their Lease bought out and SDM wants to make the move earlier than mid to late 2016. 1222 Douglas is slated for a re-development play which will also see 1280 Douglas ('old bank') somehow incorporated as both 1222 & 1280 are now both held under the same ownership group. No concrete plans for this re-development have been shored up (as far as I know). Hope this helps.

• Mike K. likes this

#1997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Who's the owner of 1222 and 1280?

Know it all.

#1998 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

I'd love to see an indigo (Chapters) open up at Uptown... while we love Bolen Books (their kids section is AMAZING), it would be nice to have something else - another option - and I adore Chapters' decor/gift section downtown - but am hardly ever actually downtown to visit it.

#1999 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'd love to see an indigo (Chapters) open up at Uptown.

That would make a lot of sense for a small to mid-sized store. That is, of course, assuming that Indigo is still profitable.

#2000 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

I went thru the main floor of Chapters on Tuesday and had a hard time finding the books.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users