Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8292 replies to this topic

#3661 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

The antiques business more or less lost its pizazz mid-way through the last decade. Hardly anyone even notices when these places open or close. Anyone remember when that entire stretch was (actually, still is) called Antique Row?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3662 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

HTO-leaves-downtown-Victoria.jpg

After 21-years at its Broad Street location, Canada's oldest surf shop has relocated to a shopping centre in Saanich.

Downtown to Uptown: Canada's oldest surf shop relocates to suburbs

http://victoria.citi...tes-to-suburbs/

With all these closures downtown, more room for Marijuana shops.

I noticed that Kim's Vietnamese restaurant on Johnson, next to the parkade, has closed and is now a Korean restaurant.  When did Kim's close?

#3663 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hmm, are you referring to Sockeye or another Japanese restaurant?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3664 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

Pacific Antiques:

"After over forty years in business in Victoria, B.C., Leonard Clarke is closing his doors for good. His one-time-only Retirement Sale commences December 1st, and runs until the 24th. All profits go to the St Andrews soup kitchen, the '9 to 10 Club'."

Helps will be happy. Fewer employees and customers means fewer cars.

#3665 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hmm, are you referring to Sockeye or another Japanese restaurant?

not Sockeye, closer to the parkade, address is 748 Johnson Street.

now it's Hanshik Nara Korean Restaurant

#3666 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

The antiques business more or less lost its pizazz mid-way through the last decade. Hardly anyone even notices when these places open or close. Anyone remember when that entire stretch was (actually, still is) called Antique Row?

Back in the day lots of people, old and young, were chasing "antiques" myself included. But I dont think many under the age of 50 care about Victorian/Edwardian furnishings anymore. Heavy and dark are frequent descriptions but declining interest can lead to bargains. We snagged 6 solid mahogany dining chairs, newly uphosltered and in excellent shape @$150 each on Fort St. They are far superior to anything new in that price range.

Edited by johnk, 12 January 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#3667 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

Back in the day lots of people, old and young, were chasing "antiques" myself included. But I dont think many under the age of 50 care about Victorian/Edwardian furnishings anymore. Heavy and dark are frequent descriptions but declining interest can lead to bargains. We snagged 6 solid mahogany dining chairs, newly uphosltered and in excellent shape @$150 each on Fort St. They are far superior to anything new in that price range.

Luckily I got out of the business about 12 years ago.  Quite a few good bargains out there if you know what you're looking at. 

• johnk likes this

#3668 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:13 AM

For sure! I personally believe, it's is place, is all the used Mid-Centery Modern furnishing stores. Many in Old Down/Design District and up on Cook Street. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#3669 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

not Sockeye, closer to the parkade, address is 748 Johnson Street.

now it's Hanshik Nara Korean Restaurant

I think that happened sometime early last year.

#3670 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

American Apparel on Johnson is closing down.

There's still some stuff to be had...

32144895202_76977ecf4e_h.jpg

#3671 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Staying with the "everything must go" theme...

Who's going to supply my Led Zeppelin posters, err, framed art now?   :mellow:

Actually, I didn't see a store closing sign and there was no one around to ask so it just might be another sales gimmick.

31452509974_9e4a2e7b6a_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 13 January 2017 - 06:47 PM.

• RoadRunner likes this

#3672 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Lush has reportedly closed its Government Street store and will reopen elsewhere. No details of where their new location is.

Know it all.

#3673 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

Lush has reportedly closed its Government Street store and will reopen elsewhere. No details of where their new location is.

And the air on Government Street just got easier to breath.  :P

• Redd42 and GabriolaGirl like this

#3674 cagleyleslie

cagleyleslie
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

Isn't Lush simply moving across the street?
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#3675 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

And the air on Government Street just got easier to breath.  :P

You got that right the smell coming out of that store is vulgar more so than the smell of the air when being forced to walk through the perfume-cosmetic department of Shoppers Drug Mart Store on entry

#3676 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

Isn't Lush simply moving across the street?

Possibly, but do we know the exact address? I can't picture what storefront that would be. The former Seeing Is Believing store, maybe?

Know it all.

#3677 cagleyleslie

cagleyleslie
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yes, there was activity yesterday at the former Seeing is Believing store... I do believe that's where Lush is moving to. Just across the street. Open again in the spring...

• Mike K. likes this

#3678 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG
  • Nparker and RoadRunner like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3679 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:40 AM

Muji, the Japanese houseware store known for its smart designs and unbranded merchandise, is opening a pop-up location from January 27 to February 28 at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. "Extraordinary" response to the news means shoppers will need to reserve a 15-minute shopping time in advance. Quote from one person who has signed up: "It's a nice minimalist store but I'm sure I could get whatever is going to be there down at Army and Navy," said the 31-year old. "It's really just the hype for going."

"All slots for the first hour of its opening weekend are already sold out, and there's a growing wait list as well."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nyway-1.3936975

#3680 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

Muji, the Japanese houseware store known for its smart designs and unbranded merchandise, is opening a pop-up location from January 27 to February 28 at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. "Extraordinary" response to the news means shoppers will need to reserve a 15-minute shopping time in advance. Quote from one person who has signed up: "It's a nice minimalist store but I'm sure I could get whatever is going to be there down at Army and Navy," said the 31-year old. "It's really just the hype for going."

"All slots for the first hour of its opening weekend are already sold out, and there's a growing wait list as well."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nyway-1.3936975

This makes sense since Westbank is releasing a new "Japan Unlayered" exhibition since it is releasing it's 1550 Alberni project. 

http://westbankcorp.com/1550-alberni

EDIT: If you didn't know Westbank owns the Pac Rim. 

Edited by Mixed365, 16 January 2017 - 07:01 AM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users