Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#3801 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

I am not going to debate this .....here watch this ..Sam Sullivan has a great website with lots of Video Blogs about local history.

http://youtu.be/jVBaut5YjyA

That video depicts EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The Americans wanted the entirety of "Columbia" south of the 49th. The video is very light on details, but it depicts how the area of southern Vancouver was contested.

Anyways, moving right along, I guess...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3802 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Not Exactly at all what you said.

The Americans lived south of the Columbia River..the British and specifically the HBC had the territory from the Columbia up to latitude 55°

http://youtu.be/w0y7rieWMgg

#3803 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

^I thought you were never offered this job Nparker?

For the things we truly love we can do them for free.  :banana:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3804 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

Not Exactly at all what you said.

The Americans lived south of the Columbia River..the British and specifically the HBC had the territory from the Columbia up to latitude 55°
http://youtu.be/w0y7rieWMgg

Right. And then what happened? Last I checked Blaine isn't home to British fur traders.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3805 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

Looks like the new butcher in the Hudson is opening on the 25th. https://www.facebook...45107646000443/

The first Vegan Butcher Shop on Canada's West Coast is here and we're kicking things off with a bang!

We'll be providing Free Vegan Appies, Samples, and other refreshments all day long!

We'll also be donating 10% of the proceeds to 2 amazing local charities.
Rasta Sanctuary (http://rastarescue.org/)
Victoria Women's Transition House Society (http://www.transitionhouse.net/)

Find us at the entrance to the Victoria Public Market on February 25th!

#3806 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Looks like the new butcher in the Hudson is opening on the 25th.

NOT OPEN YET BUT ALREADY PARTAKING IN FALSE ADVERTISING.
If they truly were into Vegan lifestye they would not  use the word butcher and would probably start crying and shriveling up at the sound of the word

butch·er
ˈbo͝oCHər/
noun
noun: butcher; plural noun: butchers
  1. 1.
    a person whose trade is cutting up and selling meat in a shop.
    synonyms: meat seller, meat vendor, meat trader
    "a butcher's shop"
    • a person who slaughters and cuts up animals for food.
      "a pork butcher"
      synonyms: meat seller, meat vendor, meat trader
      "a butcher's shop"
    • a person who kills or has people killed indiscriminately or brutally.
      "a callous butcher of men"
      synonyms: murderer, slaughterer, killer, assassin; More
      literaryslayer;
      "a callous butcher of men
verb
verb: butcher; 3rd person present: butchers; past tense: butchered; past participle: butchered; gerund or present participle: butchering
slaughter or cut up (an animal) for food.
"the meat will be butchered for the local market"
synonyms: slaughter, cut up, carve up
"the goat was butchered"

• Nparker likes this

#3807 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Just noticed that Orr's Family Butchers is opening tomorrow on the corner of Mt. Newton and Wallace in Saanichton. The location used to be a brew-your-own wine place. 

• Matt R. likes this

#3808 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

I think a murderer, often a dictator is also called a "butcher".   So maybe they are like the Soup Nazi, but with vegetables.  

• Rob Randall, GaryRanson and Midnightly like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3809 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

One of the great regrets of my life is that I've never been friends with a butcher. "You expect me to sit here and make polite conversation with this butcher?" I'd spare no opportunity to utilize some variation of that.

Now that I think about it, that might be one of the major reasons why I've never been friends with a butcher.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3810 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

...maybe they are like the Soup Nazi, but with vegetables.  

So you go there and they will deny you vegetables? "No veggies for you!"

#3811 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

Just noticed that Orr's Family Butchers is opening tomorrow on the corner of Mt. Newton and Wallace in Saanichton. The location used to be a brew-your-own wine place. 

As in a reboot again? Am I mixing up butcher families - but I thought he went to Tru-Value after MarketOnYates?

#3812 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

I think the word "butcher" is used ironically in that the only thing being butchered are carrots and beets. All it does is make me think of this:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ov5Jgw_Nwx4

#3813 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

makes me think of a floor covered in blood and pieces or meat,,meat hooks with carcasses hanging from them and hamburgers.

Maybe they butcher vegans there

#3814 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

...Maybe they butcher vegans there

That could be parlayed into a major tourist attraction; Victoria's version of the fish tossing at Pike Place Market in Seattle.

#3815 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Me, I will be strolling right by this place to get me a hunk of real meat from Roast! Yum! Vegetables are overrated....

#3816 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

One of the great regrets of my life is that I've never been friends with a butcher. "You expect me to sit here and make polite conversation with this butcher?" I'd spare no opportunity to utilize some variation of that.

Now that I think about it, that might be one of the major reasons why I've never been friends with a butcher.

I played hockey with a guy that was a butcher in a supermarket. I would go in on Sundays and he would wrap up a bunch of the best cuts of meat and label them as top round or whatever the cheapest cut was. Heck of a deal for me, not so much for the supermarket.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3817 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

Dollar Tree on Douglas is closed... I don't think they are out of business but there is a "stop work" order affixed to the exterior of the building....

#3818 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Dollar Tree on Douglas is closed... I don't think they are out of business but there is a "stop work" order affixed to the exterior of the building....

Ya, someone said there was an asbestos issue.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3819 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Ya, someone said there was an asbestos issue.

Someone else told me this location experienced some sort of flood that has damaged the floor. Perhaps this exposed the asbestos.

#3820 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

Someone else told me this location experienced some sort of flood that has damaged the floor. Perhaps this exposed the asbestos.

OK, the flood was unrelated, now I'm hearing.  Anyway, store could be closed for several weeks.  Asbestos was heavily disturbed by a pallet jack gone wild.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users