Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8268 replies to this topic

#4021 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

^well its more of Chapters parent company changing the store size and dynamic of ALL their stores.

That store size is not viable for what they are now and they have been planning their departure for years. It's been more of a matter of finding the space they wanted to actually make the move.

I believe that's correct.  Samantha Bolen told me some time ago that Chapters was heading for Mayfair.

• LocalMom likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4022 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

The best one can hope for is a 3-storey box.

You disgust me.

#4023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

You disgust me.

You think something more substantial might get approved for this part of Douglas?

#4024 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yup, we've known for some time they were on their way out, but now the new location can be confirmed.

Here's a piece from last year: http://victoria.citi...-exit-strategy/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4025 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

An Ikea/Toys R Us across from Costco is going to make that road a mess.  We were just out there today and talking about the impact of the Save-On going into the old Home Outfitters location.  Hopefully there will be some traffic management put it.

On the other hand, IKEA!!!!!!! I was sad when the Victoria outpost on Vancouver/Yates (?) closed ages ago.

#4026 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

You think something more substantial might get approved for this part of Douglas?

Nay, I demand it. For some reason I'm liking the idea of an office block more than a residential building but in any event it wouldn't need to be too tall. Maybe a 9-story office building, or maybe an 11- or 12-story residential building. Methinks it would be a thin case indeed to claim that the Shoppers property is a sensitive "old town" site. It's Douglas Street. It hasn't been the old town for probably a century. The Shoppers building has looked like *** for far too long. Something really in-your-face new is called for here. Something energizing.

• jonny likes this

#4027 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

I was also told that IKEA considered Saanich before turning to the Langford site...and the property to be developed is on McCallum Road directly across from Costco.

Interesting. I know that Stew Young has been talking about that triangular plot of land across from Costco (I believe this is the one you're referring to), saying that the current plan is for about 4-6 towers, some commercial space, and a new arena/rec centre to be incorporated. Apparently the arena would be owned by the City but operated by HSBC, who have come to like Langford since being title sponsor of the women's rugby sevens tournament. IKEA doesn't normally choose to develop alongside residential...not in North America anyways.

#4028 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

...Something really in-your-face new is called for here. Something energizing.

I agree 100% but Council gave a huge thumbs' down to the Kirk Hall* proposal (http://skyscraperpag...uildingID=86583) on the west side of Douglas Street that dared to challenge the height restrictions.  :whyme:

overview_NW1.jpg

I am not suggesting the Kirk Hall proposal was anything to write home about (a bit too "St. Andrew's Square for my liking), but it was dismissed mostly because it dared to be "tall" in a sea of shortness.

* I hold out hope we may yet see some sort of redevelopment here:

AGM.JPG

#4029 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

I agree 100% but Council gave a huge thumbs' down to the Kirk Hall* proposal (http://skyscraperpag...uildingID=86583) on the west side of Douglas Street that dared to challenge the height restrictions.  :whyme:

attachicon.gifoverview_NW1.jpg

I am not suggesting the Kirk Hall proposal was anything to write home about (a bit too "St. Andrew's Square for my liking), but it was dismissed mostly because it dared to be "tall" in a sea of shortness.

* I hold out hope we may yet see some sort of redevelopment here:

attachicon.gifAGM.JPG

Wow what a throwback NParker. Whats there now?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#4030 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Kirk Hall I think.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4031 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

Nay, I demand it. For some reason I'm liking the idea of an office block more than a residential building but in any event it wouldn't need to be too tall. Maybe a 9-story office building, or maybe an 11- or 12-story residential building. Methinks it would be a thin case indeed to claim that the Shoppers property is a sensitive "old town" site. It's Douglas Street. It hasn't been the old town for probably a century. The Shoppers building has looked like *** for far too long. Something really in-your-face new is called for here. Something energizing.

Several ideas we're presented in this thread entitled 1222-1280 Douglas Street. 

I'm partial to something like this I shared in that thread:

De08uKL.jpg?1

61 Oxford Street in London.

• Nparker and Dietrich like this

#4032 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

Wow what a throwback NParker. Whats there now?

This architectural masterpiece:

KH.JPG

KH2.JPG

#4033 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Chapters leaving downtown, boo. I have little reason to go to Mayfair, and Chapters alone likely won't be reason enough to do so either. Love having that store right DT, with my bus stop outside no less.

IKEA in Langford on the other hand, oooo, there's something interesting.

• LocalMom likes this

#4034 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

I can put the IKEA info to rest. It's just another rumour.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4035 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

I can put the IKEA info to rest. It's just another rumour.

That rumour is always good to bring up every 6-12 months.  Set the timer for next time.

• Nparker, Dietrich, DavidSchell and 1 other like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4036 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

It's time to revisit the new Costco rumours. We need that more than Ikea anywayas.

#4037 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

It's time to revisit the new Costco rumours. We need that more than Ikea anywayas.

We don't need a second Costco! We have Wholesale Club in Esquimalt.

• kafkaesque likes this

#4038 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

Not even close to the same thing lol.

#4039 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

OMG the Wholesale Club is awful. A total dump and expensive to boot.

• Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

#4040 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

We don't need a second Costco! We have Wholesale Club in Esquimalt.

Have you gone to Costco recently? It's critical mass even during the week.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users