Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4181 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

^The women I know who like spending money on shoes tend to love Fluevog's. And they are 40-50's.  It is the get them young thing, so mainly people who spent some time in Vancouver in the 90's.

As for Hillside,  I still miss the circa 1988 food court Vietnamese place.  Sears has never adapted, always been there and that was about it.  I think a theatre in that area would do really well.  With the zipline, of course.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4182 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

I just realized I'm in my forties now. :(

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#4183 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

I just realized I'm in my forties now. :(

It gets worse.  :eek:

#4184 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

I'd like to see at hillside a large year round food stalls /market ,fresh veggies,cheese meats ,breads .
It can't be small though to make it .
It needs to have a large area of fruit and veggies .
I would make a point of going .
I was very disappointed in market at the Hudson only went once .

#4185 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hillside has already tried the market thing, in the former Safeway space now occupied by Bolen Books. Cynics such as myself cite it as evidence that Victorians like the idea of markets more than they like actual markets.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 1 other like this

#4186 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

^True, but that market was there when we were wearing MC Hammer pants. It's difficult to predict how a market would fare there today.

The Thrifty that is there is probably not one of their best stores so there could be potential for more of a boutique-type of specialized groceries.

#4187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

...The Thrifty that is there is probably not one of their best stores so there could be potential for more of a boutique-type of specialized groceries.

I seem to recall hearing at some point that Thrifty wanted to replace the Hillside store. If they had a larger space they might be able to expand on some of the areas the current building simply cannot accommodate.

#4188 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

There are plans to expand the Hillside store. Filling in the small parking area to the side of it.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 27 June 2017 - 04:27 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4189 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

Hillside has already tried the market thing, in the former Safeway space now occupied by Bolen Books. Cynics such as myself cite it as evidence that Victorians like the idea of markets more than they like actual markets.

I remember that too .
The population and food buying habits has changed a lot since then .
When was the last time you had veggies out of a tin .
Lots of new condos in the area .
It might not do well,hard to say .
Root Cellar always seems busy I'd like to see some healthy competition other than Red Barn .
I think size ,price and freshness would be important.
Those were all things that turned me off of the Hudson .

#4190 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

There are plans to ecpand the Hillside store. Filling in the small parking area to the side of it.

i also remember hearing that they asked the mall/Canadian tire if they could take over part of that space(make Canadian tire's space smaller to make thriftys bigger) when they were moving in but Canadian tire didn't want to give up the space

#4191 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

I remember that too .
The population and food buying habits has changed a lot since then .
When was the last time you had veggies out of a tin .
Lots of new condos in the area .
It might not do well,hard to say .
Root Cellar always seems busy I'd like to see some healthy competition other than Red Barn .
I think size ,price and freshness would be important.
Those were all things that turned me off of the Hudson .

some sort of market style store would be nice.. but there might be a non-compete clause written in thriftys agreement that another grocery style store cannot go into the mall (so no larger produce vendor like root cellar or red barn... root cellar currently has plans to open another location about 5 min away.. but they have been in the process for well over a year now.. so not sure if that will really come to pass)

#4192 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Have they tried a farmers market type of thing with booths in the parking lot?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4193 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

This location will be situated between Wendy's and the Co-op gas station on Wale Road.

Westshore location of Mr. Lube oil change service centres coming soon

http://victoria.citi...es-coming-soon/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4194 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

The new Tudor House liquor store in Esquiamlt has opened and it is amazing. They seem to be pretty wine focused and do daily wine tastings with 6 different wines out of a wine machine. They had cheese on hand as well. They have a large open stage area above the store where they are going to do events like tastings and demonstrations from local wineries and breweries as well as general community stuff. The second level also has the cellar with the top shelf scotches and wines. They had a good selection of beers too. Also I don't know if it was just cuz it's he first day or what but they were giving all customers a $10 gift card with their purchase! Two thumbs up.

Attached Images

• IMG_0447.JPG

• Rob Randall, Nparker and nerka like this

#4195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

The rest of that property is crying out for a decent development. 8-10 stories please.

#4196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

I popped in yesterday. Pretty classy for a liquor store, for sure. The lady friend sure loved the living wall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4197 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

The rest of that property is crying out for a decent development. 8-10 stories please.

Not only the parking lot the whole Village needs a facelift...what a drab boring town

#4198 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Not only the parking lot the whole Village needs a facelift...what a drab boring town

You better not be trash-talking the township of Esquimalt.

#4199 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

IKEA opening collection points on the Island: http://www.cheknews....-island-351806/

#4200 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

This was the cell-phone store, or travel shop, or eyeglasses shop?  Whatever is was, on Douglas.  I waited for a quite a few minutes for the worker(s) to come back to ask them what it was going to be, nobody appeared.

File_000 (282).jpeg File_001 (73).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users