#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

Whoops, I meant the Johnson Street one.

My bad.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

The little building beside the old hotel looks suspicious.

#23 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

Here's a really obscure one. Does anybody remember the shortlived burger place on Quadra across from the curling club's parking lot? I believe it was kittycorner to the Husky station, where that 1970s apartment block is now.

For the longest time I had a promotional frisbee from this particular burger place. I can picture the frisbee (orange with goldish writing), but I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

Follow-up question: what was on the Crystal Pool site before the Crystal Pool came along? Were there little stores there?

Edit looking back in 2018:
The burger place was a Burger Chef. Central Park was all park, as shown in this pic (zoom way in to confirm, and note the little building on the corner that was later occupied by Burger Chef).

Edited by aastra, 23 August 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:57 AM

^Swampy Water

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

That's an odd name for a restaurant.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

Hmmmm, I thought the Romeos was on the Juliet site, and the most recent Romeos on the same site was just a revamp of the existing restaurant, including tha addition of the clock sign, as well as the part that jutted out towards Blanshard.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

How about the many incarnations of what is now a DIG THIS store at the SE corner of Market Square?

I can't even remember any of the names now.

OK, here is one. Maybe the first place we regularly got served liquor despite being 18. Jungle Jims, where CBC radio building is now.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Crocodile was one of the last. It was a nice place for partying but never tried the food.

It has a whole new look!

#29 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

How about the many incarnations of what is now a DIG THIS store at the SE corner of Market Square?

I can't even remember any of the names now.

OK, here is one. Maybe the first place we regularly got served liquor despite being 18. Jungle Jims, where CBC radio building is now.

Harpo's and I was 17. ;)

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Was it called Lettuce Patch or something in the Dominion Hotel?

...they had an Inflation Burger on the menu for like $100 (just as a joke) and they also had Kraft Dinner for a reasonable price (not a joke).

Is Scott's Restaurant (600-blk Yates) still around?

What's become of Jimmys Place on Oak Bay Ave.?

Also there used to be a higher-end restaurant in the parking lot at Mayfair, more closer to Denny's than Macaroni Grill was, long time ago. There was also a high-end eatery out on West Saanich Rd. by where Ploughshare Market is, long time ago. Seems to me one of these two has "Pheasant" in the name.

OK, here's one.. The Longhorn Steak House, SW corner Feltham and Shelbourne where a care home is now. Dark wood interior, candles on tables. Up behind it was Graham Meats.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

Yup Lettuce patch was in the Dominion. When I worked at Hunter's we called it the Garbage patch because all our defunct specials got shipped there for a second life.

It has a whole new look!

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

Pickwicks and then Hampshire Grill in Athlone Court in OB. Now under a new name.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

Jimmy's Place on Oak Bay Avenue is now Danielli's. When it was Jimmy's they used to have a catering agreement with Barkley's Steakhouse in the Executive House hotel (both restaurants had the same owner). The Barkley's waitstaff would be annoyed because all their good china and silverware would eventually mysteriously end up on Jimmy's tables.

BTW, Barkley's used to be [url=http://www.hyssteakhouse.com:b7ef7]Hy's Steakhouse[/url:b7ef7]. It employed many recent Greek immigrants who later on went on to open up their own restaurants here in Victoria.

I don't recall the other ones, Vic. Are you thinking of Chantecler, Dominique Chapheau's old restaurant way out on Saanich Road? I believe it was across the street from Periklis II which is now Moxie's (and was something else in between).

Look at this interesting entry from the BC Archives:

file 27 Proposed Spaghetti Warehouse Restaurant, 1125 Wharf Street, Victoria, B.C. / Architectural
Drafting and Design Group. - - 1973 - -
6 technical drawings.

That's the block Darcy's is in and the condo showrooms.

I don't remember this--but the question is--is it better to eat spaghetti in a Factory or a Warehouse?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#34 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

but the question is--is it better to eat spaghetti in a Factory or a Warehouse?

You should eat it directly from the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_tree:336a4]tree[/url:336a4]!

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

I shoulda seen that one comin'... :smt105
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Is Scott's Restaurant (600-blk Yates) still around?

Where have been dude? This has been King Sejong Korean Food for six months at least. It was the last holdout of the 24hr diners.

Since we are asking about crazy restaurants...

I have asked before but there was a restaurant somehwere around the tourist zone when I was a teenager. They had a burger called the Super Cow it had like a 2 lb patty and was meant to be shared. I think it may have been exec house but but am not sure. this was before I lived here and we used to bug the parents to take us there when in Vic.

It has a whole new look!

#37 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

Actually, I know what became of all the old 24 diners. They turned into Tim Hortons'.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

I don't recall the other ones, Vic. Are you thinking of Chantecler, Dominique Chapheau's old restaurant way out on Saanich Road? I believe it was across the street from Periklis II which is now Moxie's (and was something else in between).

No, further out. And this was in the 70's, man.

And in the Mayfair Mall case, I'm talking Woodwards Food Floor era.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

^You got me.

I was so curious about the Romeo's location I had to look it up in an old directory. There was indeed a Romeo's located across the street on Johnson. It was owned by Demitrious and Steven Mavrikos in the mid 70s. But the address was 721 Johnson. To compare, the Ginger Group salon to the right of the alley is 733 and The Open Door is 713 Johnson. So you're half right, aastra.

And I found out that there actually was a restaurant called "The Olde Spaghetti Foundry" at 1129 Wharf St. in the [url=http://web.uvic.ca/~hist66/Quantz/Wilson&proctor.htm:b2397]Wilson and Proctor building[/url:b2397].

Is anyone paying us for this research?

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

I get my cheque twice a week, haven't you been getting yours?

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users