Photo

Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#621 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

Was there a Pig and Whistle someplace up-Island at one point?

#622 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

Wasn't Elephant and Castle where Earl's is now?

Pig and Whistle, my nana used to watch the tv show :1954_dancing:

#623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

Wasn't Elephant and Castle where Earl's is now?...

Yes.

#624 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

E and C is a chain of pub/restaurants. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#625 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:32 AM

I have this memory of Elephant and Castle being in the restaurant space at Nootka Court before it moved to Eaton's Centre, but I guess it could have been the Pig and Whistle.

#626 fenian

fenian
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

I liked Louie Louie's as well, with the car in the ceiling, and the wait staff singing "At The Hop".  The Acs family had a bunch of restaurants in Victoria over the years, starting with Louie's Cafe on Johnson Street, opposite the old Royal Olympic.  In the early '60s, they took over the former Burger House at Fort and Blanshard (where Starbuck's is now), renaming it the "Courthouse Restaurant".  These were run by Julius and Rose Acs.  Their son George opened "Alexandra's" up Yates Street, east of Cook, then later had "George Acs' Hungarian Village" on Cedar Hill X Road near Shelbourne.  When that closed, he opened Louie Louie's.

When Louie Louie's closed (space taken over by Nautical Nellie's), George went into restaurant consultant/food show work, co-founding Eat Vancouver, plus a couple of other major food shows in the lower mainland.  George is still around, looking as dapper as ever. 

#627 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:20 PM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria fenian. Your first post is on one of my favourite threads. Sounds like you knew the Acs family. They certainly were active in the restaurant scene back in the day.

#628 fenian

fenian
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

Without my looking back through years of posts, there are a couple of coffee shops that stir memories from years back.  One is the Melrose on Yates - when I played in a band in the '60s (didn't everyone ?), after a gig, we'd stop in there for something to eat in the middle of the night.  Years later while I was a government summer student working in the Belmont Building, I asked a young girl there out for coffee, and we went to the Melrose ...... I still remember there being dead flies in the window that day ----- and so does she .....we've been married 41 years.

Going back to high school years, a classmate and I used to go to the Majorette on Douglas (next to Rose's Jewelers) ...they had banana cream pie on the menu, which was a favourite of mine.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#629 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

Going back to high school years, a classmate and I used to go to the Majorette on Douglas (next to Rose's Jewelers) ...they had banana cream pie on the menu, which was a favourite of mine.

Owned by Paul Arsens.

#630 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

...I used to go to the Majorette on Douglas (next to Rose's Jewelers) ...they had banana cream pie on the menu, which was a favourite of mine.

You don't see that on many menus these days. I miss it.

#631 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

Paul used to own 4 restaurants all at one time on Douglas street.

Crown House

Majorette

Drive in

Sussex

#632 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

Paul used to own 4 restaurants all at one time on Douglas street.

Crown House

Majorette

Drive in

Sussex

I remember when they built Crown House around 1960 at Douglas and Finlayson.

It was on the outskirts of Victoria, and I think they only had one streetlight within a block of the place.

My mother worked at the Majorette back in the early 50's and said Paul was a great guy to work for.

• Nparker and RFS like this

#633 Sharjo

Sharjo
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

I'm a lifer here and have worked at many restaurants in my lifetime. I used to go out for dinner every Friday with my husband and am saddened that some of my favorite places have passed into history.

I miss the original Gorge Coffee Shop for Sunday morning breakfast. Yes it was small and crowded, but well worth the wait for standing in line for you turn.

I've not seen much about The Foghorn in Esquimalt. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was always friendly. We had a Tommy Tickets here as well. It was where the Tim Hortons/Marty's Mountain Cycle is now.

My first restaurant job was working for Bob Darnell at the Town & Country Pizza Pieman in 1975 while still in high school.
I went into office admin after school but always keep a second job waitressing. I worked at Paul's Crown House next to Mayfair and also at the CopperTop downtown. I worked at Romeo's at 721 Johnson for Angelo in the late 70's and the in the mid 80's when they built the Gazebo restaurant on the corner of Johnson & Blanchard, I worked for them again for a few months. I worked at a Italian restaurant on the corner of Burnside & Tillicum called Dino's ran by a man named Peter. (This was before the creation of Dino's at Hillside & Douglas)
I jumped ship when the Brass Duck opened at Tillicum Mall and worked there for a long time.

There were other restaurants that I worked at for short periods of time but always ended up quitting when I felt I wasn't being treated well.

Some of the restaurants I miss that are gone now are: Coffee Mac's, The Gorge Coffee Shop, The Dingle House, Samuel's at the Queen Victoria, Burgers Etc in Esquimalt, The Foghorn, Michael's, The Cheesecake Cafe, the original Chandler's, the Old England Inn, The Tiki-Tiki Room (former Beachcomber),Lum's at Colwood corners, Princess Mary (where I met my future husband at 16), The coffee shop at Woolworths, Scott's, Day & Night, The Japanese Village, my goodness I could go on...

We never go out anymore as the last couple of times we have ventured out for dinner, the food was terrible and way over priced for a meal that was tasteless and boring

#634 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

Whenever I think about Scott's Cafe, that Tom Waits song, "Eggs and Sausage" from Nighthawks at the Diner plays in my head.

#635 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

I'm a lifer here and have worked at many restaurants in my lifetime. I used to go out for dinner every Friday with my husband and am saddened that some of my favorite places have passed into history.

I miss the original Gorge Coffee Shop for Sunday morning breakfast. Yes it was small and crowded, but well worth the wait for standing in line for you turn.

I've not seen much about The Foghorn in Esquimalt. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was always friendly. We had a Tommy Tickets here as well. It was where the Tim Hortons/Marty's Mountain Cycle is now.

My first restaurant job was working for Bob Darnell at the Town & Country Pizza Pieman in 1975 while still in high school.
I went into office admin after school but always keep a second job waitressing. I worked at Paul's Crown House next to Mayfair and also at the CopperTop downtown. I worked at Romeo's at 721 Johnson for Angelo in the late 70's and the in the mid 80's when they built the Gazebo restaurant on the corner of Johnson & Blanchard, I worked for them again for a few months. I worked at a Italian restaurant on the corner of Burnside & Tillicum called Dino's ran by a man named Peter. (This was before the creation of Dino's at Hillside & Douglas)
I jumped ship when the Brass Duck opened at Tillicum Mall and worked there for a long time.

There were other restaurants that I worked at for short periods of time but always ended up quitting when I felt I wasn't being treated well.

Some of the restaurants I miss that are gone now are: Coffee Mac's, The Gorge Coffee Shop, The Dingle House, Samuel's at the Queen Victoria, Burgers Etc in Esquimalt, The Foghorn, Michael's, The Cheesecake Cafe, the original Chandler's, the Old England Inn, The Tiki-Tiki Room (former Beachcomber),Lum's at Colwood corners, Princess Mary (where I met my future husband at 16), The coffee shop at Woolworths, Scott's, Day & Night, The Japanese Village, my goodness I could go on...

We never go out anymore as the last couple of times we have ventured out for dinner, the food was terrible and way over priced for a meal that was tasteless and boring

Wow!  Great post!

I rememeber the Gorge Coffee Shop being one hell of a (cigarette) smokey place.  I was a Coffee Mac's fan.  They had a burger/fries/ cherry pie deal that I always had.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#636 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

I worked at Romeo's at 721 Johnson for Angelo in the late 70's and the in the mid 80's when they built the Gazebo restaurant on the corner of Johnson & Blanchard...

If only you had been posting on this board a few years back you could have settled a rather vicious debate re: Romeo's on Johnson before they moved to the corner.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#637 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

Fred Manning of Manning Press also owned the Pizza Pieman shop, and we used to get couple of a huge rectangular ones every sent to the shop every Friday.

I also used to eat at the cafe in the Princess Mary once a week and have two large bowls of their famous clam chowder.

Asking for the chowder recipe was like trying to find out the formula for Coca Cola.

#638 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

Yes, fantastic first post Sharjo.

Here is a little known restaurant fact that you reminded me of.

Dino's at Burnside and Tillicum was owned or operated by an Italian restaurateur.  Another Italian restaurateur must have had it in for the guy that operated Dino's because he purchased the houses on all sides of him so he could not expand the parking. The parking was not large enough to sustain the restaurant. Dino's eventually folded.

#639 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

....maaaan I really miss that place: I used to bounce the UVic student pub in the early-mid 80's and the entire door staff would head down there every Thursday night after shift religiously, without fail, because of the good food (read lots of fat and grease...yum) and because it was one of the few places you could go later at night and have a sit down meal; I still remember the "standard fare" of the day - cheeseburger, fries (double gravy) and onion rings (I was a growing boy). Nice post.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 24 October 2016 - 07:29 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#640 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

​Does anyone remember Southside Pizza (think that was the name) on Broad St? May have been on ground floor or basement; served duck and papaya pizza and other unusual types?

Also, does anyone remember Poco Pizza on the Colwood strip?

Edited by pikabu, 28 October 2016 - 07:42 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users