Photo

Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#641 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

​Does anyone remember Southside Pizza (think that was the name) on Broad St? May have been on ground floor or basement; served duck and papaya pizza and other unusual types?

I LOVED Southside back in my youth. I believe they were also on Yates Street (?) either before or after the Broad Street location.

#642 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

^Southside has been mentioned a few times in this thread, I think. It was originally on Broad (circa 83-85, I think), in an old two-storey building that had formerly housed the Cultured Cow. It occupied both floors. Later it moved around the corner to Yates Street; I remember going to that location in the early nineties. The building it was in on Broad was torn down.

• Nparker and pikabu like this

#643 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

​Does anyone remember Southside Pizza (think that was the name) on Broad St? May have been on ground floor or basement; served duck and papaya pizza and other unusual types?

Also, does anyone remember Poco Pizza on the Colwood strip?

I am having some trouble remembering the name of the guy that owned Poco Pizza but he had a number of different locations over the years. When it became obvious to him that he was going bankrupt, he brought in a shill from Italy who took out a bank loan and purchased Poco Pizza.....then the both of them vanished from the Victoria scene. 

Southside had a waitress with an unusual name like Titsianna or something close to that. She was a lot of fun. Great eclectic hang out for the hipster crowd.  

#644 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

In case anyone wants to reminisce with former staff and patrons of Coffee Macs, there is a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook...ups/2337708447/

#645 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

I am picking up some chatter that the restaurant at Prospect Lake formally known as the Saanich Road House, Hunting Horn, Cock Pheasant etc could be the new office of a renovation contractor.

This property has an interesting past.

Legend has it that when it was a residence in days of old, the owner, Mr. Hunter, was killed when he was removing stumps with dynamite. (that last woof you hear ain't no dog)

Mrs Sowden then acquired the property and the Cock Pheasant was born as a tea house. Mrs. Sparky worked for Mrs. Sowden while she was going to school.The tea house was then expanded to a restaurant by Mr. and Mrs. Neilson. Mr. Neilson was a former head chef of the Legislature Dinning room.

The operation was then purchased by myself and a partner. I didn't last long. The restaurant business seems glamorous, but in all fairness it was a daily grind of 25 employees, 25 suppliers, and 150 people coming to your house every night for dinner. We sold it in 1978 to a fellow that changed the name to the Hunting Horn. It has had a few more owners since then.

If the rumours are true, then this is the end on a era for the eatery. It probably makes financial sense to use the property for another purpose. I wish them well. It has been sad to see it just sitting there vacant for the past number of years.

• David Bratzer likes this

#646 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

A few years ago I had a hold of a complete prospectus for the place, a turnkey guide.

I sort of thought to myself, if it's this easy (and potentially profitable) why don't the current owners just run the thing?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#647 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:32 AM

^ The Wilson Brothers did for a while but I don't think they liked it as much as the Boom Boom room when they operated that.

• Matt R. likes this

#648 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:34 AM

^^ It's only profitable if you don't have to borrow money from the bank to buy the property. Financial overhead is a killer on this type of investment. It's slightly over an acre of C-1 zoned commercial.

• http and Matt R. like this

#649 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:39 AM

I have some friends that once lived in an old farmhouse just across the road from the Cock Pheasant.

They had an art gallery in the barn and we used to party there.

The pheasants have all moved on.

#650 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Exactly 40 years ago this week. You'll recognize the space in Trounce Alley as the present site of the Tapa Bar.

image.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#651 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

...the day when anyone in Victoria can be encouraged to dawdle away a morning over coffee and a plate of something fattening has long since faded, if it ever existed here at all.

Remind me, when did that whole "Victorians line up for breakfast" thing start?

#652 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

A few hours premature for this thread, nevertheless today is the kitschy kitchen's last day. I think I'm going to miss the Rathskeller's potato pancakes the most.

...Sims said a property conglomerate from Toronto purchased the Rathskeller, with the intention of leasing it out as a restaurant for the time being. No details of the sale have been released. The restaurant had been listed for sale at $995,000...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.njOipKol.dpuf

So moving forward, someone around here must have a few details regarding the purchase of this property and its future. 

#653 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,168 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

The current owners anticipate keeping their entire holdings on that block as they are for some time yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#654 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

The current owners anticipate keeping their entire holdings on that block as they are for some time yet.

Can you share which specific properties are currently owned by the "conglomerate from Toronto"?

#655 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Remind me, when did that whole "Victorians line up for breakfast" thing start?

I remember it being kind of a thing in maybe the late '80s, with folks lining up for John's Place.

#656 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

I remember it being kind of a thing in maybe the late '80s, with folks lining up for John's Place.

Herald Street Caffe's brunch started it too, I think. Yeah, late '80s. People wanted a late Sunday breakfast but the only choices at the time were bacon and eggs at Denny's or the fancy and expensive brunch at the Empress or OB Marina.

You gotta admit, it's a license to print money. Fifteen bucks for a cup of coffee and a couple of eggs on an English muffin with a side of last night's potatoes.

Edited by Rob Randall, 22 January 2017 - 09:45 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,168 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

Can you share which specific properties are currently owned by the "conglomerate from Toronto"?

Although I cannot definitively state whether or not the Toronto-based conglomerate that bought up Harris Green Village is the same Toronto-based conglomerate that purchased the restaurant, I'd imagine is the same company. What surprises me is the media's total silence on the Harris Green deal. Odd.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#658 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

Although I cannot definitively state whether or not the Toronto-based conglomerate that bought up Harris Green Village is the same Toronto-based conglomerate that purchased the restaurant, I'd imagine is the same company. 

On CFAX, the Rathskeller owner said it was.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#659 dark star

dark star
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

I may have missed it , but how about Noos pizza in market square  ?

they used to have some good live music.

#660 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

File_004 (19).jpeg File_005 (33).jpeg

• RoadRunner likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

boomboombarrie