Photo

Garrick's Head | Victoria | Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#221 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

I assumed as much, that's why we mostly looked on in amusement. It was the first time I personally had seen something like that, so it did initially surprise me.

If it helps, it was in the old part, in the corner closer to the stairs to the washrooms, and it was hopping up and down from the dip at the windows.

#222 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Guess the location of this rodent trap:

attachicon.gifIMAG1423.jpg

bay center

• Mike K. likes this
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#223 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

If you look closely, they are all over town.  Sometimes they are made to look like some type of electronic/plumbing device/fixture, like they are around the Sticky Wicket.

We have rodents at my office building, and we don't even have a food outlet.  (except me feeding the rats daily).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yup, Bay Centre.

As VHF says rodent traps are EVERYWHERE around the downtown area. I have several near my office door that are concealed in the landscaping.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#225 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Those live traps, sometimes when you open them you find one dead rat and a whole bunch of tails.

Matt.

#226 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Those live traps, sometimes when you open them you find one dead rat and a whole bunch of tails.

Matt.

It's part of the wonder of nature.  We have live, living things amongst us!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#227 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Signs up in the windows @ Garrick's saying they're closed until Jan. 12 and directing customers next door to The Churchill (the full kitchen is still running, however). No signs of renovations inside, no mention of "staff vacations" or similar. Hopefully not a licence problem...

#228 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Yup, licence suspension: http://www.pssg.gov....14/EH14-032.pdf

#229 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

Just shows how stupid our liquor laws are.  ALL parties agree she consumed at most, a portion of one beer at Garrick's.  ALL parties agree that the server brought her water to try to help.

Garrick's choice was to toss her out, with no regard for her safety once outside, or let her leave on her own accord.  There was no indication she was going to be served any more liquor.

Instead the liquor inspectors called the cops, and they came, and put her in a taxi.  The person that was "intoxicated in a public place" faces no penalty.

About about a dozen workers lose 4 days pay.

• jonny likes this

#230 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

Well presumably they didn't that believe she wasn't intoxicated before that one beer...

#231 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:55 AM

Well presumably they didn't that believe she wasn't intoxicated before that one beer...

I guess.  But it was a group of 8 originally.  It's difficult to assess every single person in a large party.  Granted, Garrick's has not been known to spend money on having extra security or door-people, any more than they absolutely have to.  I get the feeling there that they consider non-serving employees as money-losers, not money-makers.

#232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

Just recently I was at a bar where an overly intoxicated young woman was being served. I decided to speak out but was met with a snark remark. That legitimately upset me and I got up and left.

Should I have done more? Admittedly I don't know what to do in such a situation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#233 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

Just recently I was at a bar where an overly intoxicated young woman was being served. I decided to speak out but was met with a snark remark. That legitimately upset me and I got up and left.

Should I have done more? Admittedly I don't know what to do in such a situation.

What was your concern?  Her safety?  Yours?  Or just that the rules were being broken.

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

Her safety for sure. She was barely able to sit up and couldn't talk.

I got the sense the person she was with knew one of the bartenders.

Know it all.

#235 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

I guess.  But it was a group of 8 originally.  It's difficult to assess every single person in a large party.  Granted, Garrick's has not been known to spend money on having extra security or door-people, any more than they absolutely have to.  I get the feeling there that they consider non-serving employees as money-losers, not money-makers.

I think a problem is the idea of the "pre drink". When I use to work in a establishment people on their way to the bar would often buy bottles. It made me think if you drank it while in line or just before you entered, it would make it hard for the server to count drinks. Had I done the same, I would go through door security being sober but once in the establishment I could quickly become intoxicated even without being served. 

I feel that price floors can and do impact this behavior as I noticed it more heavily when it was last raised.

Perhaps VHF will chime in as he would know more about this than I.

Edited by Layne French, 15 January 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#236 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

Wandered in with two other couples last night for the first time since St Patty's Day oh about 1980-ought 7 or 8; was relatively impressed. They've done a nice job on the interior although the big screens give it more of a sports bar-ish feel than a traditional pub atmosphere but that was fine (as long as you were a hockey fan). The food was good - I had the pulled pork sandwich - but my one issue, unanimously agreed-to by our table, average age late 50's, was that the music was way too loud making conversation tough. Not sure why an establishment that is not a night club feels the need to crank up the volume to the point the person sitting two feet across the table can't hear you.

#237 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

the music was way too loud making conversation tough. Not sure why an establishment that is not a night club feels the need to crank up the volume to the point the person sitting two feet across the table can't hear you.

The front (new) portion of Garricks is damn loud when full even without background music...must be something about the design of the room - one is reduced to yelling across the table, as you indicated.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

Yes! It’s the design of the room for sure.

Know it all.

#239 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:02 PM

Folks, if you can’t handle it, don’t go. I’m 50 and do not want the Garricks Head to change for anyone.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 March 2018 - 08:04 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#240 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

The front (new) portion of Garricks is damn loud when full even without background music...must be something about the design of the room - one is reduced to yelling across the table, as you indicated.

Yes I didn't realize there was actually a 'front' and 'rear' section until later when i got up to use the washroom. Assuming that smaller space was quieter and less "death metal thrash" music-oriented (WTF was_that s*** they were spinning up after 9pm anyway?!), I'd definitely go again. The place was full and as I said we enjoyed our food and the prices were not ruinous.

And before anyone accuses me of being a grumpy old man I've seen some of the loudest acts in music-dom including Grand Funk Railroad, the Who and the original lineup of Deep Purple. I simply don't see a need to be blasted out of my seat in a "pub" of all places while munching on my Bam Bam Shrimp and attempting to converse about whatever the topic du jour happens to be. If you're sitting < than 24 inches away from me IMO I should not have to shout at the top of my lungs at you to make my point or respond to yours.....

• tedward and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users