Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

I guess that after a while you figure out that you can make more money working for "the man" rather than trying to fight "him".

Yes, it is about the money. Nobody in the media in this town is making more money than they could make as a civil servant, save for a very few biggies like Hudson Mack and Ed Bain.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

The plans to spend more money the city does not have to improve cycling over the Point Ellice Bridge, is a continuation of the smoke and mirrors that went on prior to the referendum.

Victorian's voted YES at the referendum on the strength of an Ipsos Poll that suggested that "rail access would be preserved" on a new bridge.

http://www.johnsonst...-Aug12_2010.pdf see page 9

The plan now to improve cycling on the Point Ellice Bridge is an attempt to appease the cyclists who are about to loose their favoured route into town, when the Johnson Street Bridge rail span is demolished. This loss will continue while the new bridge is constructed along side the present vehicle span.

When respondents answered the Ipsos Reid Poll, it does not appear to have been explained that they would loose the Blue Bridge cycling span for a lengthy period of time.

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

Some misleading information in todays Times Colonist that reads;

"And so it begins: the first exploratory steps toward replacing the Johnson Street Bridge", and the photo shows a barge drilling beside the bridge.

On September 3, 2009 there is a photo in the TC of the same barge drilling beside the bridge for four days. So this was the first time for drilling. There is also the Delcan Report from that era that gave an exploratory assessment of the bridge.

I hope there will be more accurate reporting, and an eye on cost accountibility as this project moves forward.

#24 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Save Rail on the Johnson Street Bridge – Email Petition

http://johnsonstreetbridge.org/?p=1907

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

No Rail on the New Bridge...

...but the access will be preserved.

Whatever that means, as I believe that it will be impossible to add rail to the bridge after it is built, unless you build a separate span beside the New Bridge.

read more:

http://www.johnsonst...ary-01-2011.pdf

and

#26 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

I suppose the bottom line is that if rail is not going to go over the Johnson Street Bridge, but you wanted to preserve the ACCESS, then repairing the present bridge would have been a better solution.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

I suppose the bottom line is that if rail is not going to go over the Johnson Street Bridge, but you wanted to preserve the ACCESS, then repairing the present bridge would have been a better solution.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it. With no rail, the whole width of the existing rail span could have been refit for bikes, pedestrians and wheelchairs or whatever.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

That point was made during the referendum.

Honestly, how much traffic does anyone think there would ever be on the E&N? It is not the location of the rapid transit route. People want to preserve the line, but who do they think will use it?

#29 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

And on another note, it was nice of John Luton to help us all understand what his definition of a "Must Do" project is:

http://www.timescolo...8811/story.html

Victoria is committed to shifting transportation choices to sustainable modes and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Given better choices, some trips along Bay Street could be converted to cycling, helping to meet those objectives and perhaps even saving us the cost of carbon emission penalties we may face as early as next year.
The Bay Street Bridge bike line project is not just a "nice to do" project. It's a must do, and soon.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1CpguPL6Z

So it seems that the "Must Do" seismic upgrades that necessitated a new bridge for Mr Luton are of the same moral importance as upgrading the Bay Street Bridge for bikes.

:confused:

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

So it seems that the "Must Do" seismic upgrades that necessitated a new bridge for Mr Luton are of the same moral importance as upgrading the Bay Street Bridge for bikes.
:confused:

I wonder why the city could come up with all kinds of reasons not to improve the Point Ellice Bridge when their focus was to get improved cycling on the new Johnson Street Bridge. It seems like the cycling community is calling the shots, even if it could mean an increase in taxes for everyone.

#31 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

No Rail on the New Bridge...

...but the access will be preserved.

Whatever that means, as I believe that it will be impossible to add rail to the bridge after it is built, unless you build a separate span beside the New Bridge.

read more:

and

Why is the second report dated Feb 4th?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Why is the second report dated Feb 4th?

The 4th is the date of the council meeting where all this will be discussed, and is open to the public at 8:00am

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

Due to the flooded coal mines in Australia, it will be important to secure a supply of steel at a reasonable price. The Design-Assist approach should help eliminate construction and design issues before they happen, to minimize cost overruns.

Should the procurement of steel be an issue, the present bridge could be repaired, thus solving any shortage problem, as well as allowing the project to proceed sooner, since the rail on the bridge will be preserved intact.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:23 AM

With some analysts predicting steel prices to rise by 66% this year, it is no wonder that the city is feeling some urgency to secure steel for the new Johnson Street Bridge.

I wonder how much new steel would have been required to repair the existing bridge?

More on steel prices:

Steel price forecast to rise by up to two-thirds

By Peter Marsh in London
Published: January 23 2011 19:26 | Last updated: January 23 2011 19:26

Steel prices are set to jump by up to 66 per cent this year, top executives and analysts have said, a burst of inflation on a scale the industry has suffered just once in the past 70 years.
In a set of forecasts provided for the Financial Times by 16 steel experts around the world – including six senior executives and 10 industry analysts – projections of the year-on-year rise in prices by the end of 2011 average 32 per cent.
That would make the price of the average grade of steel as defined by Meps, a UK steel consultancy, $970 per tonne by December.
If this turns out to be correct, the rise in steel prices during the year will be the second-biggest jump since modern records began in the 1940s

#35 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

That point was made during the referendum.

Honestly, how much traffic does anyone think there would ever be on the E&N? It is not the location of the rapid transit route. People want to preserve the line, but who do they think will use it?

ummm people who live up island and commute into victoria everyday (which numbers in the hundreds, maybe thousands). The rapid transit line doesnt serve those living outside victoria.

I would rather see money go into the E&N for commuter rail than blasting a bypass through Goldstream Park.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

There are thousands of commuters driving south along the Malahat into the CRD every morning. And there are hundreds of students heading into various post secondary institutions, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

There are thousands of commuters driving south along the Malahat into the CRD every morning. And there are hundreds of students heading into various post secondary institutions, too.

I agree and all this talk of there is no ridership to support commuter rail is crap. What do they think all these cars with people are doing coming down the Malahat for?

Rapid transit on Douglas St will not serve these people.

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

I agree and all this talk of there is no ridership to support commuter rail is crap. What do they think all these cars with people are doing coming down the Malahat for?

It will if Langford builds a big park and ride commuter station.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#39 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

It will if Langford builds a big park and ride commuter station.

Are you suggesting that people are going to want to do multiple transfers to get to downtown. Or that if someone wants to get to up island by train, they have to also do multiple transfers. Stopping the train in Langford is not smart, since the majority of the population is located nearer to downtown victoria, not the westshore.

#40 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

I don't see a reason to serve people commuting in from Shawnigan Lake. If they choose to live way out of town, that's their choice, but they can live with the consequences. If they are not happy about the long and expensive commute, they should move into town.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users