Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#4281 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

^ I think that we have different dates. It sounds like they plan to open the bridge before it is actually completed so that we can hit our Dec 31st target. 

#4282 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Whatever happened to the Citizen Advisory Panel?  It seems it just ended in 2014:

http://www.johnsonst...sory-committee/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4283 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Johnson Street Bridge Project – East Side Road Improvements Start Next Week

Starting Monday, March 20, eastbound drivers and cyclists can expect daytime congestion and delays when travelling across the Johnson Street Bridge, as work commences on new road approaches between the Johnson Street Bridge and Wharf Street.  The work involves completing curb, gutter and paving work, and is expected to last approximately five weeks.  Crews will be working from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday.

http://www.victoria....-next-week.html

At least the roadway aspects continue to move forward. Any updates on the Janion Plaza? Is that almost done yet?

#4284 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

The project is supposed to be complete by March 31 2018 but the bridge is supposed to be in operation on NYE.

#4285 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

The project is supposed to be complete by March 31 2018 but the bridge is supposed to be in operation on NYE.

I'd suggest pushing completion ahead by one day in order to take advantage of April Fool's Day. It seems VERY appropriate.

#4286 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

Whatever happened to the Citizen Advisory Panel?

Ha ha ha.

#4287 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

Whatever happened to the Citizen Advisory Panel?  It seems it just ended in 2014:

As far as the bridge goes the city stopped taking advice right after the November 20th 2010 borrowing referendum.

#4288 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hey I just heard that there is no bridge, people are suppose to fly over the gap with their cars, Duke of Hazard style.

• RoadRunner and nerka like this

#4289 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

I'd suggest pushing completion ahead by one day in order to take advantage of April Fool's Day. It seems VERY appropriate.

I'll second that.

• Nparker likes this

#4290 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

More on the ubiquitous north side fendering problem.

In-channel fendering, which will protect the bridge from contact with vessels, has been installed. Existing bridge piers on the south side of the new bridge will remain and be skinned with wood strips to act as fenders for in-bound vessels, Huggett explained.

However, fenders to protect the new bridge piers from outbound vessels still have to be designed and aren’t included in the current project budget, Huggett said.

“When I took over this project [in July 2014] … I began to realize there wasn’t any money for north side fendering and nobody had really given much thought to what was going to be built there,” Huggett said.

Installing the north side fendering will be complex as bridge construction will be occurring at the time. A Telus duct runs atop the seabed where fendering has to be installed.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.DLJCgkx9.dpuf

Not much thought exactly because if the Telus duct had been placed on the south side of the bridge instead of the north side they could have driven piles into the seabed for some protection of the bridge pier that houses the delicate lifting mechanism..

#4291 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

More on the ubiquitous north side fendering problem.

Not much thought exactly because if the Telus duct had been placed on the south side of the bridge instead of the north side they could have driven piles into the seabed for some protection of the bridge pier that houses the delicate lifting mechanism..

If you listened to the talk by Hugget, you would see that they are going pile drive into the north side. Nort sure why the TC got this wrong. Oh, wait.

#4292 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:28 AM

Got to love Hugget pointing out in no uncertain terms that this was a problem BEFORE he arrived to take on the project. Sounds like almost 3 years later and he hasn't progressed too far on the issue though.

Edited by spanky123, 24 March 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#4293 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Right.

Whatever the case may be, I think Victorians are tired of the delays and just want to see the crossing completed.

I hope we hear very soon if the mock assembly of the bridge in China was with or without problems. And shipping such a massive structure will be a monumental task in and of itself. Can you imagine if the shipping company declares bankruptcy mid-shipment like what happened with Hanjin? That'd be game over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4294 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

^ Or, lost at sea?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4295 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

Mike K. is so right. It's the mock assembly that will be the big tell. Here is the outline for risk, as part of the Quarterly Report just filed.

"... the steel components are now being assembled. Horizontal fit up took much longer than planned. ZTSS are now in vertical fit up which is more complex. The overall geometry must match the design. There are many factors that could cause the overall geometry to be unacceptable.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4296 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

^What I need to know is if this is standard for lift bridges. Were they fretting about this in 1923? Or is this a unique problem with this design?

#4297 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

Mike K. is so right. It's the mock assembly that will be the big tell. Here is the outline for risk, as part of the Quarterly Report just filed.

"... the steel components are now being assembled. Horizontal fit up took much longer than planned. ZTSS are now in vertical fit up which is more complex. The overall geometry must match the design. There are many factors that could cause the overall geometry to be unacceptable.

I think that this is a classic example of no news is bad news. You would think that the nanosecond we had a successful fitting the City would be issuing a press release but won't be in a rush to tell us if there are problems.

#4298 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Another question I have: How much margin of error is there when closing the bridge. If my car door is off by 1/4 inch it won't shut smoothly. If my house front door is off by that amount it won't shut at all. Docking mechanisms on air fuel tankers and space stations seem to be more forgiving, you can be a few inches off target and it will still link up with the target.

So my question is, if the two sides don't match up exactly, due to wind or heat expansion/cold contraction etc. will it still work perfectly.

I will sit here growing a long white beard while I wait for a definitive answer.

Edited by Rob Randall, 24 March 2017 - 10:20 AM.

• spanky123 likes this

#4299 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

...I will sit here growing a long white beard while I wait for a definitive answer.

To be fair, there will be a plethora of opportunities to shave before the JSB is complete.

#4300 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Another question I have: How much margin of error is there when closing the bridge. If my car door is off by 1/4 inch it won't shut smoothly. If my house front door is off by that amount it won't shut at all. Docking mechanisms on air fuel tankers and space stations seem to be more forgiving, you can be a few inches off target and it will still link up with the target.

So my question is, if the two sides don't match up exactly, due to wind or heat expansion/cold contraction etc. will it still work perfectly.

I will sit here growing a long white beard while I wait for a definitive answer.

it's not out of the ordinary for that to occur. It happened already on the blue bridge during a warm summer it expanded and needed to be cut and shortened

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users