Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#4321 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Or at least upon completion.

in the year 2050

#4322 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

So now begs the question, how long can we realistically keep using the existing bridge? Fortin told us it only had a few years left, and the replacement was a matter of urgency. Now we're just pushing back timelines with no mention of the state of the existing crossing? Something doesn't add up here, someone was either fibbing or the danger of the current crossing is being downplayed.

• Ira likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4323 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

I like to look at the predictions of the blue bridge timeframe like that of food expiry dates. Sure, that peanut butter expires next week, but does that really mean you can't keep eating it for another couple months?

• Nparker likes this

#4324 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

If you've kept it really cold you can probably get away with stretching it. And it's been a long cold winter, so that works in the bridge project's favour.

• Bingo likes this

#4325 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'd hate to think the risk and dangers were exaggerated in order to generate a sense of urgency to justify a wildly under-budgeted bridge plan that in no way benefited anyone associated with the council at the time of its passage.

• jonny and nerka like this

#4326 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

So now begs the question, how long can we realistically keep using the existing bridge? Fortin told us it only had a few years left, and the replacement was a matter of urgency. Now we're just pushing back timelines with no mention of the state of the existing crossing? Something doesn't add up here, someone was either fibbing or the danger of the current crossing is being downplayed.

I think the so called engineering report of the old bridge was exaggerated to justify building a new bridge. From all this fiasco, it looks like repairing and upgrading the old one would have been a lot cheaper. From what I have been told the existing bridge wasnt in that bad of shape. Of course maintenance wasn't done on it like it should have been, but it was made to look worse in the report.

Edited by UrbanRail, 29 March 2017 - 08:02 PM.

#4327 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

When the Rail bridge was being torn to shreds I was down there often and the contractors said that the road bridge was in far worse condition than the rail bridge which had many year of life left in it perhaps decades..The road bridge basically was left to rot. They stop all major maintenance including painting about 1995. The only painting that was done on the bridge was by humans standing there and they only painted as far up as the roller in their hands could reach and that evidence is still visible.

They received money each year from CP Rail I believe it was 120k per year for maintenance of the rail bridge

• UrbanRail likes this

#4328 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

Interesting article on the start of construction of the new 10-lane bridge replacing the Massey Tunnel; I was particularly intrigued by the comment that ...."There will be five lanes of traffic in each direction, including an HOV/bus lane and the future capability to run rail rapid transit across the bridge by converting lanes."

Not sure exactly what is meant by the latter observation but I wonder whether any such consideration or thought was given to the JSB replacement, i.e. if not for immediate use at least incorporate into the new bridge design the flexibility to accommodate LRT at some point in the future when light rail funding and/or potential commuter volumes warranted it?

http://dailyhive.com...truction-begins

#4329 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

Ben Isitt pushed for rail "capacity" in the design early in 2012, but was shot down by the City consultant MMM Group, who said rail required different engineering standards, and including it was a scope change that would increase cost. They did not mention that the bridge's unique mechanical design required the lift span to be as light as possible, and therefore needed an orthotropic deck (see http://vibrantvictor...-71#entry372765), to which it would be impossible to later add rails.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 06 April 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#4330 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

some recent photos of paving stones on the pedestrian plaza in front of the Janion.

In the third photo, the walkway on the left hand side leads from the Janion doorfront onto the pathway.

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

• Nparker, Gary H, thundergun and 1 other like this

#4331 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

some recent photos of paving stones on the pedestrian plaza in front of the Janion.

Any chance you might have a photo that shows the paving in the larger context of the whole plaza?

#4332 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

Any chance you might have a photo that shows the paving in the larger context of the whole plaza?

i was in a telephoto state of mind, being friday.  I'll see what i can do tomorrow!

• Nparker and Janion Fan like this

#4333 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

In the third photo, the walkway on the left hand side leads from the Janion doorfront onto the pathway.

attachicon.gifIMG_1386.jpg

Assuming this picture is the end of the Galloping Goose & E&N Trail, I can't imagine these are going to be fun to bike on.

#4334 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

Assuming this picture is the end of the Galloping Goose & E&N Trail, I can't imagine these are going to be fun to bike on.

I think the pavers are adjacent to the multi-use path. 

• sdwright.vic and Janion Fan like this

#4335 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

I agree... and can even see the multi use path in the photo... but lets immediately make this a affront to and indignation to cyclist.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4336 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

They wont hold up well with the big thrust quake that is predicted to hit

#4337 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

Here is a better view of the multi-use pathway which will be paving stones from the corner of Store Street and Pandora.

JSB_2017_04_01.jpg

JSB_2017_04_02.jpg

#4338 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

Looks good. Nice to see something other than concrete or worse - asphalt - used here. I guess the cyclists will just have to cope. They have $2 million worth of dedicated bike lanes only meters away, so hopefully we won't see anyone shedding many tears for this small section of aesthetically pleasing pathway.

Any signs that the actual plaza next to the Janion will ever be finished?

#4339 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

A new report (http://bit.ly/2o73Usr) to be debated by councillors on Thursday recommends funding work on the Janion Plaza, the Harbour and Esquimalt Road interstection, and the triangle of land east of the new bridge so they are operational by the time the bridge opens on December 31. It's not clear how much that "minimal" work will cost, but the report estimates that fully developing those areas will cost $1.04 million ... along with a further $4.4M for the new park created by removal of the S-curve, and $1.5M for the plaza around the Northern Junk development. The report also recommends assigning the City's artist-in-residence, Luke Ramsey, to come up with a project using the $250K in the JSB budget for public art.

#4340 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

Looks good. Nice to see something other than concrete or worse - asphalt - used here. I guess the cyclists will just have to cope. They have $2 million worth of dedicated bike lanes only meters away, so hopefully we won't see anyone shedding many tears for this small section of aesthetically pleasing pathway.

Any signs that the actual plaza next to the Janion will ever be finished?

Given that this portion of the trail is likely be the busiest bikeway in the region by far, a better surface is required. I fully expect to see this whole are redesigned within a few years as the challenges of mixing that many people walking & biking become acute.

EDIT: The bike lane "metres away" is an extension of the trail you see here, not a replacement.

Edited by Coreyburger, 09 April 2017 - 10:40 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)