Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#4361 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

At least they're still updating this every 1-2 weeks. Looks like the plaza is going to finally have pavers installed later this month.

http://www.johnsonst...WK-Schedule.pdf

Hope it's not the same crew that just finished up on the causeway. The area was blocked off with no work done for a month or more and now that they finally finished, lots of the pavers are uneven and not much better than before with plenty of tripping hazards. :whyme:

Edited by tedward, 11 May 2017 - 02:18 PM.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#4362 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

Two months since the City has posted its monthly bridge updates.

And the last two months have been a pretty integral phase of the whole project where the steel was to have been fully assembled then taken down in preparation for painting.

As spanky mentioned earlier, the first shipment of painted steel is to leave China on the 29th.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4363 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

On a related note, the City has postponed the building of the two small bridges at Heron Cove and Raymur Point in James Bay. Very disappointed in that!

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

More than one bridge on the go at any one time is probably not a good idea in this city.

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4365 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

Two months since the City has posted its monthly bridge updates.

And the last two months have been a pretty integral phase of the whole project where the steel was to have been fully assembled then taken down in preparation for painting.

As spanky mentioned earlier, the first shipment of painted steel is to leave China on the 29th.

Given that there were updates every month when less critical stages of the project were underway, it seems unusual that we would have nothing since March. 

#4366 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

On a related note, the City has postponed the building of the two small bridges at Heron Cove and Raymur Point in James Bay. Very disappointed in that!

Given that one of those bridges was pointless waste of money I'm not too upset. The bridge behind the Coast Hotel is needed but the one from the Hotel to Fisherman's Wharf is a silly waste of time IMO.

#4367 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

^ I disagree tedward. The new bridge at Heron Cove will encourage people to continue their harbour walk to Fisherman's Wharf and beyond. Some folks hit the street and head in a different direction the way it is now. It will also be a lot safer without confused people wandering around the entrance on St. Lawrence. Plus, I'm hoping it will look cool.

• nagel likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4368 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

Oh good lord. They won't walk around on the sidewalk to go see Fisherman's Wharf?

If seeing it from the walkway doesn't entice you to go all the way and check it out I don't think a bridge is really going to be a factor.

• Bingo likes this

#4369 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

^ Why would you think there is a need for a bridge behind the coast hotel. That seems fine as is to me. Much better than the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4370 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

^ Why would you think there is a need for a bridge behind the coast hotel. That seems fine as is to me. Much better than the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Because walking up a driveway is unsafe, confusing, and unsightly and thus a bridge there would be an improvement.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#4371 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Eastern Harbour Rd. sidewalk now open...

They've moved the fencing so pedestrians can now use the eastern sidewalk of Harbour Rd.  It's been open for a few weeks but I would be remiss in not mentioning it.  Still no sign of railings for the path.

Oh, and to the SUV about to hit that on coming car in the second pic - it's no turn on RED.

34891122085_5a73624847_h.jpg

34504325680_f0247928fd_h.jpg

34891131065_fcebbd1f8e_h.jpg

• RoadRunner likes this

#4372 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

I am assuming that our bridge left China as planned on Monday. I wonder how long it will take to get here.

#4373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

Still no updates on the official project website since March.

Know it all.

#4374 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

You'd think news as big as the bridge leaving China would warrant at least a press release from the City, or a passing mention in the TC. We certainly got those for the new ferries.

#4375 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

Ergo - it has not left.

• shoeflack likes this

#4376 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

I am assuming that our bridge left China as planned on Monday. I wonder how long it will take to get here.

It might get as far as the anchorage at Constance Bank..

#4377 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

'Cause if you want a bridge you should have put a ring on it
If you voted for it you should have put a ring on it
Don't be mad once you see  that the barge sunk it
Back to China start again and put a ring on it

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Matt R. like this

#4378 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Another good article in Focus this month. http://www.focusonvi...eet-bridge-r16/

So far, PCL hasn’t completed any of the tasks on its original schedule in less time than predicted. So, with the final shipment of steel components not expected to get to Victoria until September—according to Huggett—six months after that would put the bridge opening for traffic in February 2018, and project completion in early May 2018.

Mayor Helps has of course promised that the bridge will be open for traffic by the end of this year. Any delays shipping the bridge from China would make even a September arrival questionable.

• Nparker likes this

#4379 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

And while they are pounding everything down...way down...I hope they are also keeping track of the TELUS cable way down there.

post-1196-0-53227100-1487740356.jpg

More on the fendering for the NEW bridge in the May/June edition of Focus

The first error was the relocation in early 2012 of an underwater duct bank containing numerous telecommunications cables, including fibre optic cables connecting CFB Esquimalt to the world. That $1.6 million project was engineered and overseen by MMM. According to Huggett, though, the duct bank “was not moved sufficiently far enough to allow for easy construction of fendering systems.

Without additional protection measures, piles cannot be driven close to the duct bank as in the event of a ship collision the piles might move and damage the duct bank.

Huggett revealed two errors that were made. One was made before the construction contract was negotiated with PCL and one afterward. Both subsequently “impacted” the design of the fendering, and hence its cost, Huggett reported.

Unbelievable but—according to Huggett—true.

More;

http://www.focusonvi...eet-bridge-r16/

#4380 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

Double post removed. Weird! how does that happen?

Edited by Bingo, 01 June 2017 - 09:01 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users