Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
4753 replies to this topic

#4741 lanforod

lanforod
  • 4,792 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Those guard rails on the trail are terrible - they narrow the path down by almost a metre for almost no reason. My bet is they're gone within a few years because of congestion issues on the trail.

That was my first thought as well. But I think in reality, they are just narrowing the path by a foot or so off the bridge, as most of the angle goes over that big concrete curb. On the bridge, it isn't a metre or even 3 feet, I don't think. Maybe 2 feet. It also makes it look more interesting, and probably does make them stronger

#4742 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

Those guard rails on the trail are terrible - they narrow the path down by almost a metre for almost no reason. My bet is they're gone within a few years because of congestion issues on the trail.

The slant will keep bikes from getting caught on the post and wires especially if they are pulling trailers.

But I wonder if they are high enough to keep a cyclist from going over the railing in a collision.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#4743 Coreyburger

Coreyburger

OpenStreetMap + Ubuntu!

• 2,161 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

The slant will keep bikes from getting caught on the post and wires especially if they are pulling trailers.

But I wonder if they are high enough to keep a cyclist from going over the railing in a collision.

Which means the railing design is flawed. You can design a railing that doesn't cost space on an already too-narrow path and doesn't get caught. The simple solution is to bend the railing out rather than in

#4744 Nparker

Nparker
  • 14,803 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

...an already too-narrow path...

This path is sufficiently wide for the amount of non-vehicular traffic it will likely need to accommodate. It is vastly wider than what the current bridge offers. Neither cyclists nor pedestrians need the equivalent of a freeway with passing lanes to get from the heart of downtown to the trail on the western side (and vice-versa). If a significant number of non-CoV taxpayers find themselves using it and feel it is insufficient, then perhaps they should have ponied-up some cash towards the cost of a design more to their liking.

• Midnightly likes this

#4745 Gary H

Gary H
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Well, the guard rails on the south side of the approach, and I assume the leaf as well, are not slanted.  The part of the trail that leads to the approach is slanted on both sides but It is hard to tell from my distance exactly how much encroachment there is.  For example, the rails on the south side of the path leading to the approach don't look like they encroach at all.  I certainly don't think the encroachment is a half metre on both sides, that's over 19 inches.  I think it might be closer to 6", a foot total.  A picture from the fence of the Janion plaza looking west should resolve the issue.

Edited by Gary H, 21 July 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#4746 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,314 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

I thought the slanted rails with more width at the base is to help with things like wheelchairs or bikes that might get a bit close. In any case, the installation here is exactly what is on the Ogden Point Breakwater.

I love the lighting on the side of the bridge. Oh man. If they ever get this thing done, the new bridge will look awesome. Its opening will be the watershed event in getting people onto bikes when they realize how easy it is to connect with the Galloping Goose and E&N Trails.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4747 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 377 posts
  • LocationWork Downtown, Live in E-Town

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

I think part of the slant is so that it's harder for a kid (example) to climb up and over the railing.

Although vertical slats would accomplish the same thing.

• 57WestHills and Midnightly like this

#4748 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Meanwhile, work continues...

The MUP guardrails are really taking shape and as I suspected are a combination of cables and extrusions.  

35881515092_41b3ee2b43_k.jpg

The bridge railing is different than the breakwater railing which is curved and much more attractive.

But I don't suppose the designers even looked at that example as straight posts are easier to make, eh!

P1020814.jpg

#4749 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,314 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

You're right. Similar to Ogden Point but not the same. Thanks.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4750 Coreyburger

Coreyburger

OpenStreetMap + Ubuntu!

• 2,161 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

You're right. Similar to Ogden Point but not the same. Thanks.

And those Ogden Point handrails were designed not to shrink the amount of usable space on the breakwater, which is what the JSB ones should have have

#4751 HB

HB
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

And those Ogden Point handrails were designed not to shrink the amount of usable space on the breakwater, which is what the JSB ones should have have

They are not using any usable space on the JSB the top of the rail is plumb with the concrete curb they are bolted to
  • Nparker likes this

#4752 Coreyburger

Coreyburger

OpenStreetMap + Ubuntu!

• 2,161 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

They are not using any usable space on the JSB the top of the rail is plumb with the concrete curb they are bolted to

On the approach path maybe, but on the bridge deck they definitely are

#4753 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

There is no curb that is higher than the deck, as the concrete and asphalt are at the same level.

The railings are slanted in on the left of the photograph, but the railings to the right seem to be vertical.

Bridge railings.jpg

Gary H photo has been cropped.

#4754 HB

HB
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

the fact remains no usable portion of the road is being taken up by the railing

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users