Photo

Silica dust in a new victoria hospital...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nikl

Nikl
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

Last year, I was working for large plumbing firm,which had a contract building a new hospital at Jubilee.At the end of the kalender year,everybody noticed that both ceilings and floors started to crack.Some of the cracks were up to four meters long.Several times we(the workers) informed about to our supervisors but seemingly nobody paid any attention to it.
Often,the cracks appeared when we were drilling openings for fasteners for hanging pipes under the ceilings.
Only after the cracks started to appear even in the floors ,the company called in building experts,who started various tests to find what is happening.These tests lasted for about two weeks and included the gravity water press tests.Nobody was ever informed what were the results of these tests.
Soon after, the company hired about 30 additional helpers from Mexico,Chile and El Salvador to drill into,grind and to clean the floors in all stories of building.
The original thickness of concrete floors was 22 cm,but company decided to increase the thicknes to 26 cm.During these repairs some kind of liguid was used to flood the floors.It seemed to us quite toxic.Perhaps some kind of acid to consume the dust ,enabling better adherence of the new concrete to old one?
During these repairs the whole working area was "infested" by so much of dust that at times it was difficult even to see.Original idea was to get rid of dust out through the windows but supposedly it was not allowed as it would infringe on old standing,operating hospital.For that reason,the dust was just tolerated by company if not by workers.
Our question was why they could not do these repairs at night or at weekends when there was no workers present but the query was ignored.In fact they used their noisy equipment even at noon hours when workers needed some kind of calm for their lunches.
We had every week safety meeting when these matters were brought up by various workers but it was just ignored.In fact it was hinted overtly that we should not talk about that in public,especially to media people.
The last time when we complained about unsafe conditions,we were told that safety is not prime cause for the company.The main cause is supposedly to finish various stages according to time plan.

#2 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

I would contact Worksafe BC and discuss your concerns. Safety should be priority number one for every company, we all know it's not, but there are measures in place that should ensure that worker safety is. Every employee in BC has the right to refuse work, if it's not safe.

#3 Nikl

Nikl
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

I would contact Worksafe BC and discuss your concerns. Safety should be priority number one for every company, we all know it's not, but there are measures in place that should ensure that worker safety is. Every employee in BC has the right to refuse work, if it's not safe.

I refused work in this condition and company expeled me from work.:(
What I should do now?
I sent this article to Times Colonist and TV Check 6, but so far any answers:confused:

I think they want to cover up this story:mad:

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

What I should do now?
I sent this article to Times Colonist and TV Check 6, but so far any answers:confused:
I think they want to cover up this story:mad:

Have you contacted Jesse Ventura?

http://www.trutv.com...eory/index.html

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

I heard the building was sinking because they built it on swampland

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:01 PM

What I should do now?:mad:

I would talk to your union about it? You can not be forced to work in a unsafe enviroment without process. Or was it a non union outfit....then worksafe BC and a lawyer is your only way to get anything done, good luck

#7 Nikl

Nikl
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

I would talk to your union about it? You can not be forced to work in a unsafe enviroment without process. Or was it a non union outfit....then worksafe BC and a lawyer is your only way to get anything done, good luck

BC Worksafe did nothing about that:(
On the job were working about 700 people and they told me, I am 1:700:mad:

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

Please continue this discussion in the Royal Jubilee Hospital Patient Care Centre thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users