Police Amalgamation

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#481 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

As per the Fraser Institute report released this week the CRD's police forces are the 10th most overstaffed in the country (when lumped together).

So while we have too few police on the streets of Victoria we have an overabundance of police in other jurisdictions doing diddly squat. In light of this how silly is it that Central Saanich, Oak Bay and Sidney/North Saanich have their own forces...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#482 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

^do we have stats on how each police department is overstaffed/understaffed.  Also I would like to know how they determine a department is overstaffed

#483 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

^do we have stats on how each police department is overstaffed/understaffed.  Also I would like to know how they determine a department is overstaffed

Traditional method is officers / population of service area. Or cases / officers.

#484 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

VicPD has "the" or one of the highest case loads in the country, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#485 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

As per the Fraser Institute report released this week the CRD's police forces are the 10th most overstaffed in the country (when lumped together).

So while we have too few police on the streets of Victoria we have an overabundance of police in other jurisdictions doing diddly squat. In light of this how silly is it that Central Saanich, Oak Bay and Sidney/North Saanich have their own forces...

I don't hear Saanich or Oak Bay residents complaining that they are overstaffed, or that their tax money is being wasted on their police force.

If Victoria residents feel that their police force is under funded, they needed to ask why that is, instead of allowing more and more money to be poured into the harbour off the end of the new bridge.

#486 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

Maybe Oak Bay residents can help pay for the bridge.

Know it all.

#487 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

Or maybe every time a crime is committed in Victoria by a citizen of another local muni a bill gets sent there.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

There we go.

Know it all.

#489 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Maybe the other munis could help pay for culling all the deer that came through their area into Oak Bay, because they couldn't take care of business.

#490 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

Maybe the other munis could help pay for culling all the deer that came through their area into Oak Bay, because they couldn't take care of business.

How do we know the deer did not swim to Oak Bay from Sidney Island or even San Juan Island?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#491 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

The deer on those islands ( at least on Sidney Island)are Fall deer completely different than blacktail

Edited by HB, 17 October 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#492 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

Okay, Victoria will chip in 20% for the deer cull if Oak Bay chips in 20% for the bridge.

• Nparker likes this

#493 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Blimey!

There is probably a poll out there somewhere that shows that Oak Bay residents don't use the Johnson Street Bridge, as there is no reason for them to go to Esquimalt, even if it is a "lifeline" bridge... I mean they have their own grocery store right in the Village down the street from where the blockbuster "Gracepoint" was filmed, and now the community is rich and can afford to pay for their own deer cull.

#494 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

Here are the most recent BC stats comparing caseloads and other data for the police departments and detachments in BC:

http://www.pssg.gov....urcesBC2012.pdf

On pages 9 and 10 you'll note VicPD's caseload is 42 (criminal codes cases per officer per year), whereas the average non-RCMP police force average is 35. The RCMP average for large cities, however, is 64, and the RCMP average for smaller cities is 70. You'll also note that VicPD is the most expensive police force per capita.

#495 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

I pay for the bridge every time I shop downtown by paying parking taxes and a portion of the retail shops property taxes

Or maybe every time a crime is committed in Victoria by a citizen of another local muni a bill gets sent there.

Maybe Oak Bay should bill Victoria and Saanich when Oak Bay Police are on the scene of non Oak Bay incidents which I see frequently.  The last time was an intersection accident in Saanich when I couldn't see a Saanich cop anywhere

• Bingo likes this

#496 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

So we agree just how silly this whole thing is :)

Know it all.

#497 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

According to Gippers article, VicPD has the 58th highest case load in BC out of 72 police departments.  Not even close

#498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Among independent police forces it's the third highest in British Columbia out of 11 with a caseload of 42.

Central Saanich: 23

Oak Bay: 30

Saanich: 32

It's pretty clear that RCMP forces have much higher officer-to-population ratios than independent forces, likely due to the fact that they can draw on a much bigger network of resources from other jurisdictions. Independent forces don't have that luxury.

Know it all.

#499 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

^it doesn't change the fact that VicPD does not have that high a case load when compared to the rest of the province.  And wow, there are 11 independent police departments

Even Sooke, Sidney, VIew Royal and Langford have high case loads than VicPD so you can't even say they have the highest in the CRD

Edited by concorde, 19 October 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#500 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

No, I guess not. But what you can say is in order to keep the case load lower City of Victoria and Esquimalt residents must pay a heck of a lot of money to lower the population-to-officer ratio and therefore the case load. RCMP on the south Island have ratios nearly 3x higher per officer.

Just goes to show how expensive and how busy the VicPD is as a policing organization.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users