Photo

The CPR Steamship Terminal on Belleville Street

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

I'd like to see a market and Pike Place is a good model. Hopefully it wouldn't be full of leftover Godseyes and macrame from the 60s. Too much of that stuff infesting "farmer's markets" around town.

I don't want to see yet another "BC Experience" clone. We have an excellent museum staffed by professionals, we don't need another commercial "interactive" thingamajig showing the same stuff.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

This sounds like an alright idea. They could look at the Ferry Building in San Fran as the example. Probably a better relation than Pike Place.

http://www.ferrybuil...arketplace.com/

Courtesy of Convival Blogs http://convivial.blo...franciscos.html

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

FWIW, the article specifically quoted MacNeil that a pub was not part of the mix.

I missed that. Anyway, I suspect the historic Stores Building next door might make a better pub, what do you think?

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

^ That would be cool!

It has a whole new look!

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

I like your San Francisco idea of a market. We have to be careful that any market is unique and high class. Remember that virtually every tourist that arrives here has already passed through the tourist trinket shops at YVR, Odgen Point and the ferry terminals. They haven't even set foot in the city and already they're tired of the totem pole sweatshirts and tiny maple syrup bottles.

#26 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

I like your San Francisco idea of a market. We have to be careful that any market is unique and high class. Remember that virtually every tourist that arrives here has already passed through the tourist trinket shops at YVR, Odgen Point and the ferry terminals. They haven't even set foot in the city and already they're tired of the totem pole sweatshirts and tiny maple syrup bottles.

Yes. Especially if they are arriving on the Coho from the US of A. They aren't coming here to buy trinkets etc. No more cliches, start thinking outside the box!

#27 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

I'm intrigued by the idea of using it for a passenger terminal for the Black Ball and other scheduled boat/ferry services. Sounds perfect, but I doubt that it would generate enough revenue to make it work. Maybe adding a farmers/flower market to the passenger terminal would work, but I really don't think we have the density of population, nor enough suppliers to keep a market going. Its been tried before in this city. It would limp along in the summer, and totally die in the winter.

The best idea of all is to locate the Maritime Museum in the building. The building itself is part of our maritime history, and it is located on the waterfront, which is essential for the museum to display the floating artifacts in its collection, or to attract visiting (floating) attractions. I attended a presentation to the Maritime Museum members and found the financial plan to be credible. The gallery areas will include vistas of the harbour through the windows, with interpretive signage to explain current and previous uses of the areas being viewed. The galleries and displays will be designed so that the floor can be cleared and rented out for events (weddings, galas, convention dinners etc.) so that it can generate revenue in a variety of ways. Including a causeway-level gift shop with good quality items related to the museum's collection and also an indoor/outdoor cafe are good ideas.

Bring on the MMBC to the south side of the harbour!!!!!
Pieta VanDyke

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

I wonder what what would happen to the current Maritime Museum building if it was vacated. That would actually be a more appropriate location for a market.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

I'm intrigued by the idea of using it for a passenger terminal for the Black Ball and other scheduled boat/ferry services. Sounds perfect, but I doubt that it would generate enough revenue to make it work.

Would a museum actually generate more revenue than a transportation terminal?

If we got creative and moved floatplanes there the place would be hopping, but of course float plane operators would lament the loss of adjacent parking space.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

^ Which they will hopefully lose someday anyways.

It has a whole new look!

#31 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

I wonder what what would happen to the current Maritime Museum building if it was vacated. That would actually be a more appropriate location for a market.

The court system may take it back. I know they still use it and I think they may still have right of 1st refusal over it.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:39 AM

^ I believe that they use it for ceremonial or special cases only, no? It would need a lot of work to go back to being a courthouse. What about a downtown location for the Art Gallery?

It has a whole new look!

#33 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

The only reason the courts would use the building is because one of 19th century court rooms has been preserved in the building. It is purely a ceremonial thing

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

Speaking of courts, Victoria's courthouse on Blanshard is at over capacity and needs to be replaced or expanded.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

The only reason the courts would use the building is because one of 19th century court rooms has been preserved in the building. It is purely a ceremonial thing

Ledgend has it that Sir Matthew Baillie Begbie, the "Hanging Judge" still might be using that courtroom.

http://www.islandtim...unted-past.html

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

Speaking of courts, Victoria's courthouse on Blanshard is at over capacity and needs to be replaced or expanded.

I vote for replaced. I doubt even a third-world country would accept such a tragic looking struture as their primary court house. I know justice is blind, but do I have to be as well to avoid having to see this monstrosity? :(

#37 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

Not according to a lawyer I was talking to the other day. Apparently it is an active court house still, which surprised me, to say the least.

#38 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

I've been learning a lot about courthouse design recently and am amazed by how complicated it can be.

Did you know that modern courthouses have three separate sets of hallways and access? One for the general public; one for those in the hands of the corrections system; and one for the judiciary. Everyone meets in the courtroom.

Retrofitting heritage courthouses is extremely difficult. I don't think Mr Justice Begbie's courtroom can be slated for serious use. But I'm tickled at the possibility that it may still see a real trial now and again. My son had a pirate birthday party at the museum many years ago and they held a mock trial in there. It was great fun.

#39 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

The story of Begbie being the hanging judge is a stretch.

He made some very interesting early rulings and aboriginal people seriously

#40 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

^ I believe that they use it for ceremonial or special cases only, no? It would need a lot of work to go back to being a courthouse. What about a downtown location for the Art Gallery?

It might be a challenge for the Art Gallery. Display space is special purpose - you need really flexible space, high ceilings, great loading and access facilities, storage, and humidity and dust control. Really hard to do when retrofitting in to an old building.

Good space for continuing justice related uses - hey! the drug court! (I'm actually serious)
Pieta VanDyke

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users