#81 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

http://www.timescolo...ctoria-1.635847

So was this well-thought out? :construction:

It is well-thought out. A lot of why the CRD is acting the way they are with Foundation Organics is to demonstrate market failure. If you listened to Nils Jensen yesterday on CFAX, he is basically stating that the private sector has failed to step up to the plate. Funny thing is, private sector players are just that: players. CRD are the games master and have dictated the rules of the game. And they got that wrong, by assuming that uptake would be far less than what it is.

Or did they? Perhaps the idea was always to demonstrate market failure so that they can ride to the rescue, as they are doing here. Private sector can't do it but hey, we have the land right here at Hartland to do it. The CRD has never turned its nose up to empire building and so here they are, running roughshod over Hartland Avenue and Willis Point residents. They've essentially sold out these guys to be the saviours of Tanner Ridge/Martindale Valley residents.

But why? Accuse me of wearing a tinfoil hat if you must, but if the CRD sees the best solution is for them to process compost from municipal programs, then what's stopping them from shipping sewage sludge up the hill to Hartland, too? I mean, the facility is already built and done so under the guise of accepting municipal organic waste. Since they've built it outside of the limelight of The Great CRD Sewage Caper, they can sell it as just incremental effort to add sewage sludge to all of the mix.

One last point: what is the CRD going to do with all of the compost it creates? Use it at Hartland? Or is it going to sell it? To whom? Is it really appropriate for Hartland to get into the retail/wholesale compost game? I'm sure that Peninsula Gravel Mart, Trio, etc. will just love that.

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

One last point: what is the CRD going to do with all of the compost it creates? Use it at Hartland? Or is it going to sell it? To whom? Is it really appropriate for Hartland to get into the retail/wholesale compost game? I'm sure that Peninsula Gravel Mart, Trio, etc. will just love that.

Yes, that's my question too, that's why the private-sector taking it directly off trucks makes sense, rather than the extra step at Hartland.

What is happening at Cobble Hill? The Foundation Organics lawyer says it is non-smelly now, but wasn't when they first opened. What changed? What do they do with their compost different than Stanhope?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 stot

stot
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

I have been very interested in this situation since it first started.  It is really refreshing to see there are people who are seemingly supportive of the facility's success rather than it's demise.  I am currently writing something I hope I can get into the TC and the Peninsula news.  Perhaps when I feel satisfied with it I can post it here for some feedbacks?

#84 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

I think that the facility is in operation again. I could smell it on Friday evening.

Best place to get a good wiff is on Highway 17 just as you start down teh hill past the Coop towards Keating X Rd

It is rank.

#85 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

^^ Welcome to the forum stot.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

I have been very interested in this situation since it first started.  It is really refreshing to see there are people who are seemingly supportive of the facility's success rather than it's demise.  I am currently writing something I hope I can get into the TC and the Peninsula news.  Perhaps when I feel satisfied with it I can post it here for some feedbacks?

Of course, we'd be happy to read it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 stot

stot
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

I think that the facility is in operation again. I could smell it on Friday evening.

Best place to get a good wiff is on Highway 17 just as you start down teh hill past the Coop towards Keating X Rd

It is rank.

The facility is not in operation again.  They have not received any food waste since August.  It is something else you are smelling.  This seems to be a problem, any smell is now blamed on them, even if it is not from their property!  The complaints still come in, even though the compost is not operating at the moment.  Sad for these people to be blamed for things that aren't their doing.  

And thanks for the welcome!

Edited by stot, 14 January 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#88 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

The smell I smelled was in the same location as this past summer and smell is the same which is rotting vegetation and or food matter breaking down.

#89 stot

stot
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

The smell I smelled was in the same location as this past summer and smell is the same which is rotting vegetation and or food matter breaking down.

I have checked into this.  They have over 100 large animals on the property plus they still have wood waste/yard waste, which is not part of the compost facility and legit.  

Every fart seems to be blamed on these people!  It's still a farm, they still have farm smells, it's not like they have just stopped working all together and sit waiting.  They still have to make a living, right?

There is another property just down the road from them doing wood/yard waste as well and yet every smell is directly blamed on them.

• Nparker likes this

#90 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

It very well could be someone else I only said that

"I Think the facility is operating again."

If you say the smell is not coming from them so be it.

But now I wonder where it is coming from.

Do you know.

#91 stot

stot
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

It very well could be someone else I only said that

"I Think the facility is operating again."

If you say the smell is not coming from them so be it.

But now I wonder where it is coming from.

Do you know.

There are 2 properties with wood/yard waste composting that I know of.  This is the only smell I can detect in the area, myself, with the exception of farm animal smells, highway etc ;).  Maybe this is what you are smelling?  I do know no food waste has been accepted since August 

I apologize for getting defensive!

#92 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Womp womp

https://www.timescol...moke-1.23390308

#93 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

I used to send clean unpainted lumber to them like a lot of construction companies over the years, but they have stopped taking that.  I believe they still take tree trimmings, stumps, etc and they dump cow manure on it to turn it into topsoil

#94 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

I used to send clean unpainted lumber to them like a lot of construction companies over the years, but they have stopped taking that.  I believe they still take tree trimmings, stumps, etc and they dump cow manure on it to turn it into topsoil

I know from experience that the neighbours here bring out their torches and pitchforks whenever Stanhope wants to do anything.  Granted, some of that reaction is self-inflicted, given the farmers' combative nature (at least their legal counsel).

There is a fundamental issue though about farmers' eroding autonomy on ALR lands.  Going back to the original public hearing for the composting operation, I was at Central Saanich Municipal Hall and the attitude of neighbours' is something to behold.  The farmer stood up and defending composting as a legitimate farming activity.  In response to some comments about the lack of an open house, the farmer admitted that he could have done this in the spirit of being neighbourly.  But then, what precedent would it set?  If the farmer wanted to switch crops from corn to carrots, would they have to consult the neighbourhood?  No word of a lie, someone yelled out, "Well, we don't care about that!"  Ladies and gentlemen, the great unwashed.

Fast forward to today, I can almost guarantee it's not so much "switching crops" from hay to marijuana that the neighbours are up in arms about, but rather making it as difficult as possible for the farmer to cash out on the land sale.  The neighbours straight up HAAAAATE them, with litigation ongoing, even after the recent class action suit related to the compost operation wasn't certified.  The NDP announcing last month that municipalities could regulate this particular farming activity even in the ALR must have seemed like manna from heaven.

#95 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

I would suggest he change everything and go into hog farming and bring in 10,000 hog.  Anyone who knows the smell of hogs knows your property value just went to 0 overnight

Also maybe think about chickens too with oh maybe 5 or 6 roosters.  Those suckers nearly cough out a lung reminding everyone its 5am and they don't take weekends off.

Oh you bought next to a working 100+ acre farm.  Whats that I can't hear you over my 1952 tractor with no muffler!

• Matt R. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users