Photo

Digital phone service

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

I use shaw, but I'm in Vancouver, it's great free long distace, clear, doesn't cost too much, but my call waiting makes a funny noise when someone else calls, nothing to complain about though.

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

I use Vonage.ca - the first digital phone to be offered as far as I know in Vic. I like their service a lot, the connection is clear, and what you get bundled in is fabulous... everything the phone company charges extra for is included. I will probably stick with them because I dont know of anyone else who offers unlimited long distance in Canada or the USA for the price. Since I am an internet geek my friends are all over the place.

The one problem I have is that sometimes when I phone phones which are on Shaw's digital network, I cannot get a connection. This has only been a problem since Shaw entered the market, and I don't know if it is something Vonage is doing, or Shaw is doing, or if it is just a bug. There are a couple of numbers I can't phone although I can receive calls from them, and that is annoying.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

I use shaw phone and have never had problem. Having everything included is great. If you want to keep your same number it takes about 3 weeks.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

Yeah I have Shaw phone as well.
It's great. No problems.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

Don't you guys have lag or an echo? Every digital phone I've ever used had something quirky about it.

Maybe it's just me :smt102

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

I've got an old Telus line that hasn't been used in about 10 years, it's the lowest hanging of all the utility lines tends to get in the way, anything wrong with just taking a pole pruner to it and chop it out of there up to the pole? Or will I short out the system? Shaw won't touch it, and I don't want to call Telus(it's like an old girlfriend).

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:45 AM

I've got an old Telus line that hasn't been used in about 10 years, it's the lowest hanging of all the utility lines tends to get in the way, anything wrong with just taking a pole pruner to it and chop it out of there up to the pole? Or will I short out the system? Shaw won't touch it, and I don't want to call Telus(it's like an old girlfriend).

If I had any old girlfriends hanging around it wouldn't be me with the pruning shears. 

• todd likes this

#8 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

You'd be committing vandalism. The demarc point is normally inside the weatherproof grey box on the outside of your house.  You cut it past that, you just might short something out, which is certain to get Telus' attention. If you do manage to escape their attention, and you ever decide to switch your ISP from Shaw to Telus, you are going to find out just how much lineworkers charge per hour and callout.  In either case, there will be tears.

[ edit: missed a phrase ]

Edited by http, 14 December 2016 - 03:37 PM.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#9 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Thanks http. So Telus still has control over something attached to my house/airspace even though we haven't been together in 10 years,.. should be able to prune up to the boulevard  :).

Always strings attached.

Edited by todd, 14 December 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

I've got an old Telus line that hasn't been used in about 10 years, it's the lowest hanging of all the utility lines tends to get in the way, anything wrong with just taking a pole pruner to it and chop it out of there up to the pole? 

Another way around it might be to have an arborist fall that rotten tree across the line.

#11 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

Another way around it might be to have an arborist fall that rotten tree across the line.

In the last ten years had the lines to either side hit by falling oak tree branches(the size of what some would consider a large tree) so maybe another year or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users