- - - - -

Local Victoria social media

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm definately missing something here. How is this place a threat to Lyles?

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm guessing that Lyle's has some sort of agreement with the landlord not to have any other competition. But wouldn't that be between Lyle's and the landlord? Harassing the tenant directly isn't cool if that's what's happening.

There were three record stores on that side of the street 30 years ago.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

There just has to be more to this story than posters...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

We are having a summit for just the top 150 pages in three weeks time, it's just about sold out.

Victoria Facebook Leaders Summit #1 - Eventbrite

Thanks to Mike K. for coming out for support. It went well, I had 87 companies and 121 people there, including 68 companies from the top 150 on our leaders list.

Hmmm, my check-in list shows Elizabeth Cull as being there, but I didn't notice her.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

You're welcome, VHF, and thanks for the invite. I think the event went very well and I trust most individuals will want to employ the tactics you've developed through I Heart.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Huh, a year later and #3 in the city, we broke 16,000 fans last week. We will be #2 by the end of this month, and probably #1 by the end of the year.

Judging from the heated discussion taking place on the I heart Downtown Victoria FB page today, I'm very curious to see how/if these numbers change!

Ironically, all the haters who comment on that stripper-pic ensure that it shows up on their newsfeed for all their friends to enjoy . . . ha!:o

#27 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Looooooooool. Wowwwww.. has that thread stirred up a hornets nest. Too funny.

Cakes..

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

Judging from the heated discussion taking place on the I heart Downtown Victoria FB page today, I'm very curious to see how/if these numbers change!

Ironically, all the haters who comment on that stripper-pic ensure that it shows up on their newsfeed for all their friends to enjoy . . . ha!:o

Yes, it's the most-seen post since June. 9372 views. 109 comments.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

Facebook is very strict about showing shameful bits. Recall this week's Nipplegate controversy with the New Yorker's Facebook page.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

98% of the people commenting on the photo are women, many whom are stating some sort of dislike.

I'd surely like to see the reaction and amount of "likes" a half nude firefighter photo for some charity drive would dish out by these same group of women.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

98% of the people commenting on the photo are women, many whom are stating some sort of dislike.

I'd surely like to see the reaction and amount of "likes" a half nude firefighter photo for some charity drive would dish out by these same group of women.

^ ^ The post is not even nearly nudity, I try to stay this side of Suicide Girls (4M fans) and the thrust of it is remarking on a VV post about Svelte. I added a photo for effect. But since I also posted about Monday Magazine, things cooled down.

Yes, 64% of my fanbase is female, but I also note the strongest remarks supporting the post are from females.

A lot of people are expecting a pat "customer service" response from the admins there, they aren't going to get that from me. I'm more direct.

#32 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

^ Tru dat.

What I find interesting is that many of the commenters operate under an assumption that I Heart Downtown Victoria is somehow under contract to Tourism Victoria, or the City of Victoria. Like VHF said, they expected "customer service," or that a politically correct environment would be created for the "client" or "clientele" of that particular Facebook page.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Tourism Victoria broke over the 17k mark yesterday, still the #1 page in Victoria.

https://www.facebook...rismvictoriafan

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Just curious if someone who runs a facebook page such as I <3 Downtown Victoria, are they able to see all the people who "like" the page? Regular visitors can't.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Just curious if someone who runs a facebook page such as I <3 Downtown Victoria, are they able to see all the people who "like" the page? Regular visitors can't.

Yes.

They recently (maybe 3 months ago) brought in a new feature, when you see a comment you find offensive, instead of completely removing it, you can make it invisible to everyone except the poster and their friends. The poster does not know it has been hidden to others. So you don't have people going ape when you remove their comments, and continuing a rant elsewhere.

You can of course, also ban people from the page, they can still see it but will not be able to post. I'd say I ban one person a month or so.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

Indeed, we had a scare for a while, the day of the stripper pic we had a net gain of only two fans.

Anyway, we're back up - and today we became #2 in the city.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Tourism Victoria broke over the 17k mark yesterday, still the #1 page in Victoria.

https://www.facebook...rismvictoriafan

I broke over 17,000 today and I'm 38 behind Tourism Victoria. There is no doubt I have more LOCAL fans, as they pick up lots doing contests geared to Seattleites etc.

City and country stats there are a bit misleading vis a vis my 17,000 fans, as some people do not list their location, so, for example, the city list will never add up to 17,000. So I think we are 90% local still.

We've said it here in the past - but we like to repeat it. Our fan base is larger than the populations of each of: Sidney, North Saanich, Central Saanich, Highlands, View Royal, Colwood, Esquimalt, Metchosin and Sooke.

Oak Bay is within striking distance - 1,000 away.

Now, some people will say, "ya, you have 17,000 fans, but how many of them pay any attention to your page?" I rank very high for engagement actually:

...the 6,446 number ("talking about this") is the number of people, in the LAST week, that commented on a post, clicked through, "liked" a post, or shared it with a friend, or to their wall. To contrast, my friends at Tourism Victoria, their number is 370. Zone 91.3 (3rd-place page) - 15,308 likes · 2,840 talking about this.

As for the "Reach" that is the blue graph there - that's how many people see a post, or visit the wall. That ranges from 10,000 to 24,000 EVERY day. So almost all the fans see at least one thing from the page daily, on average.

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

That's pretty impressive! Congrats on the 17,000 mark.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#39 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Why do you think the ratio of females to males is 2 to 1?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

Why do you think the ratio of females to males is 2 to 1?

Well, the f/m is about 55/45 on FB in general. Then the further is simply content. What I post appeals to females.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users