Mobile technology in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1603 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,181 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

There are enough smart phones out there now, along with ipads and other gadgets that connect to the internet as well as other devices, I thought it might be helpful if we exchange tips and tricks that we come across.

I was just informing Mike about "dropbox". This is a cloud based program to store files from your mobile where you can get to them easily to do things with.

You can upload a picture (or other files) from your phone when you are in a wifi area. You can then work with that file from any computer connected to the internet.

Takes 10 seconds or so to upload a picture, the app is free, and you don't need to hunt for that dastardly cord. Give it a try.

What else is out there that can be helpful?

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 11,732 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

Is it available on Android?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

I am not sure, I am downloading splashtop though.

I would suggest if you have an android phone you search the location that you get your apps from.

#4 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Posting a picture to VV directly from your phone.

Most photo storage services have mobile apps now. I use photobucket. When I am wanting to post a picture to VV while I am on the road, I go to the app, and choose "upload media" I then have a choice of "choose existing" or "choose camera"

When you choose camera, take a picture, click "use" and your picture has been uploaded to photobucket directly from your phone. I can then tap the "i" spot on the app, then tap the "img" code to copy the "img" code and I am ready to post my picture to Vibrant Victoria from where ever I am.

Very simple, no cables to find and connect. Perfect for road warriors.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 46,678 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Google Docs lets you upload and store any type of file.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

^ I like google docs, I just can't seem to find an app at the iphone app store. I must be missing something because the web page for google docs says exactly what you stated.

My daughters tell me that I am too old to have a phone like this anyway :)

#7 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

OK here's one that you heard here first from an old guy.....Yesterday I installed the iphone "Bing" app written by microsoft that has voice recognition web searching.

I tried it out walking down the street and said "London Drugs Victoria BC" into the phone and it brought up the Yates Street store first with a phone number that you just have to tap to connect or you can tap to open their web page.

You have to have a US based app store account in order to download the app as it is not available to Canadian accounts but that was not hard to set up with a different email address than my Canadian one. I just used a Seattle hotel street address and phone number and my gmail address. The app was free and VERY cool.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,831 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

I was using the Canadian Tire app on my BlackBerry today. Looked up one item, it showed as in stock at the Douglas St. store but by the time I got there it was no more. Wandering around the store I looked up the same item on my phone, showed as in stock at the Cedar Hill store so I drove over there and there it was!

It's nice to be able to read reviews of the product while standing in the store trying to figure out which one you want, too.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

Mapquest now has a mobile app that is a turn by turn voice GPS. It's free. This will put Tom Tom out of business.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

The 5.0 operating system that was provided for the iphone last year enables our company to find where our technicians are on an image with "Find My Friends".

Tap on the icon and a Victoria satellite image comes up with the locations of your "friends".

You can zoom into the image and see exactly what building they are in.

Great for finding your closest technician to an emergency.

Might be helpful for finding your kids too.

Best part.....it's free.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,831 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Pffft.. these guys have been tracking phones for ages:

http://www.sat-gps-locate.com/

Give it a shot ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#12 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

:)

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

The 5.0 operating system that was provided for the iphone last year enables our company to find where our technicians are on an image with "Find My Friends".

Tap on the icon and a Victoria satellite image comes up with the locations of your "friends".

You can zoom into the image and see exactly what building they are in.

Great for finding your closest technician to an emergency.

Might be helpful for finding your kids too.

Best part.....it's free.

Or your wife to find where you are!:eek:
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,831 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

She doesn't need the phones for that. Women have an uncanny ability to construct a detailed timeline of your day and evening just from the various smells on your jacket :o

#15 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

I didn't buy her an iphone. :)

#16 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• Banned
  • 2,395 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

I was using the Canadian Tire app on my BlackBerry today. Looked up one item, it showed as in stock at the Douglas St. store but by the time I got there it was no more. Wandering around the store I looked up the same item on my phone, showed as in stock at the Cedar Hill store so I drove over there and there it was!

It's nice to be able to read reviews of the product while standing in the store trying to figure out which one you want, too.

For the purpose of measuring up products and reading user reviews, nothing beats the amazon.com app. It even has a barcode reader, so all you do is hold the camera up over the barcode until it reads it and the it pops the item up on your screen.

Although, if you are easily depressed by such things has how much cheaper items are in the US, I would suggest you don't download this app. :D

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,831 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Although, if you are easily depressed by such things has how much cheaper items are in the US, I would suggest you don't download this app. :D

Good thing I'm not an iPhone user then and can't use this app :rolleyes:

#18 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 669 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

Yes, it is, I have it. As for my favourite apps on Android:

Google Goggles — search for something on Google by taking a picture of whatever it is you're searching about (a logo for a business, QR codes, etc.)

Mint — budget app that helps you track the status of your bank accounts, credit cards, expenses

Netflix – self explanatory.

Google Shopper — based on your location, tells you the latest deals and sales near you, or if you're looking for a specific product, can tell you which place has it cheapest and what's closest. If you are already at a store but want to know if you can find a certain product somewhere else for less, you can scan the UPC barcode of the product and it will check.

SoundHound — finds out what song is playing if you can't figure it out or you haven't heard it before. Better than Shazam because it also can determine songs from people humming the chorus, and it can pick through ambient/background noise. Also the free version of SoundHound has ads instead of limiting how many "tags" you can make.

Speed Test — check your network download and upload speeds.

Urbanspoon — restaurant reviews and ratings on the go! Also works with your location to tell you the best nearby places to grab grub.

#19 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 669 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

That app is terrible; used to have it on my phone but got rid of it for the same reason. The Langford store apparently had four pedestal fans in stock of the particular model I was looking for, but when I showed up, there were none. It took me four CT locations before I finally found one (the model had been discontinued). But, of course, no one in the stores or the app could tell me that.

Getting help from someone at a Canadian Tire store is like winning the lottery. Rare.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

• 9,181 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

I was at the Flying Otter this afternoon and was able to log onto Shaw wifi with my email address and password.

This is a giant leap forward in the wifi world.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users