Photo

Esquimalt Naval Base

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#81 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

What is the purpose behind these visits?

It's probably a combination of training, R&R, diplomacy, NATO commitments, etc...

• tedward likes this

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

It's been here at least once before, in 2002.  Its home is Everett.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Oh ok that makes sense I guess. I'm surprised we don't see the US Navy here more often.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

What is the purpose behind these visits?

To help the residents of Metchosin re-calibrate their garage door openers.

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#85 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Typically the reasons can range from everything from "flying the flag" (essentially good PR), crew R&R, and occasionally being on the receiving end of certain types of maintenance or supply replenishment; the intent of American nuclear carriers is to forward project their sea power therefore stops in Victoria usually occur at the end of a long deployment to the Far East/Pacific/Sea of Japan.

#86 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

FYI the Nimitz is coming to this area in June: too bad there won't be any public tours this time out although any one out and about on the water at that time should be able to get some nice pictures:

https://www.facebook...9440877756589:0

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

FYI the Nimitz is coming to this area in June: too bad there won't be any public tours this time out although any one out and about on the water at that time should be able to get some nice pictures:

https://www.facebook...9440877756589:0

It's coming today or tomorrow.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Yep...so heads down in work I'm not looking at a calendar and only peripherally aware of the date, heh. We got aboard her in the fall of 1975 when the ship was brand new, and we happened to be in the UK on a family holiday. She steamed into the Firth of Forth (Scotland) during her post shakedown cruise after initial sea trials. The paint was literally still wet but I can remember how terribly impressive it all was - the sheer mass and bulk of the ship, the noise, the fantastic array of weapons and communication radars and above all the 'choreography' of the deck crew which to this day amazes the hell out of me. 

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Royal Canadian Navy Welcomes USS Nimitz for a short port visit in Esquimalt

United States Ship (USS) Nimitz, an aircraft carrier and one of the largest warships in the world, will visit Esquimalt, B.C. from June 13 to 16. The ship is stopping for this short visit before continuing on to Canadian Forces Maritime Experimental & Test Ranges (CFMETR) at Nanoose Bay to conduct trials and testing.
There will be no public tours during this visit.
Quick Facts
• The United States is Canada's most important ally and defence partner. Defence and security relations between the two countries are longstanding, well-entrenched, and highly successful.
• The closeness of the Canada-U.S. defence partnership provides both countries with greater security than could be achieved individually.
• The visiting vessel, USS Nimitz, was commissioned on May 3, 1975. It is the first of 10 warships in its class. These warships are the world’s largest. USS Nimitz is sailing with nearly 2,200 sailors.
• The RCN and USN have a long history of reaching out to communities at home and abroad in an ongoing effort to enhance relationships at all levels.
• During the visit, USN sailors will serve lunch at Our Place Society and Homeless Shelter in Victoria on Saturday, June 14.
• RCN and USN sailors will also compete in sporting events at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt’s Colville Athletic Fields beginning at 2 p.m. on June 14.

(

#90 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

This report paints a picture of a navy ship that was a disaster waiting to happen.

Knowing that situation, it is even more troubling that there were civilian family members of the crew aboard for the voyage home across the open Pacific Ocean.

What were they thinking?

OTTAWA - National Defence was warned a year before the devastating fire aboard HMCS Protecteur that the electrical system, main engine controls and navigation system aboard both of the navy's supply ships were on their last legs — and prone to catastrophic failure.

"Numerous systems, that are as old as the ships, are no longer supported by an Original Equipment Manufacturer. All systems are showing their 40 plus years of age with increased failure rates."

"For example, recent failures of the 1000 (kilowatt) Turbo Alternators have resulted in total ship blackouts and loss of propulsion, creating a potentially dangerous and unsafe situation for the ship and crew."

More;

http://www.huffingto..._n_5639066.html

#91 Wally

Wally
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

I served in the Navy for many years. 90%+ of critical failures at sea during peacetime are caused by operator error rather than failure of the systems themselves. Warships have multiple redundant systems physically isolated from one another. If a ship loses power at sea it is far more likely to be the result of a trainee fumbling a switch then it is both generators, located at opposite ends of the ship, failing at the same time.

Equipment is old in our fleet as well as fleets around the world. Manufacturers stop making parts but that is why we carry spares. I note that the article is very careful to state that 'OEM parts are no longer available'. What it really means are that aftermarket parts are available, just not from the original manufacturer.

The context here sounds very much like an Admiral advocating for more money for the fleet. Good for him, that is his job. To try and take this an spin it into some advance warning that the Protecteur would catch fire - when we don't even know yet why it caught fire - is completely disingenuous.

• Mike K. likes this

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

Cfax1070 is reporting that it will be announced today that both HMCS Algonquin and HMCS Protecteur will be retired. 

Last year those two ships collided en route to Hawaii, and earlier this year HMCS Protecteur suffered a substantial engine-room fire that put it out of service.

#93 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

Cfax1070 is reporting that it will be announced today that both HMCS Algonquin and HMCS Protecteur will be retired. 

Last year those two ships collided en route to Hawaii, and earlier this year HMCS Protecteur suffered a substantial engine-room fire that put it out of service.

They are actually retiring 4 ships, including the last of our old missile destroyers: http://news.gc.ca/we...ge=1&nid=885979

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

I suppose for the Conservatives, this is bad news, thus the Friday afternoon release.  Might as well do it all at once.

#95 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

I suppose for the Conservatives, this is bad news, thus the Friday afternoon release.  Might as well do it all at once.

Not really news as all 4 of the ships have already been announced for decommissioning. Perhaps they are moving the dates up but no surprise as the ships haven't gone anywhere in a long time.

I am still waiting to hear what happened to the Protecteur and why we recalled our ship from an active deployment.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

I am still waiting to hear what happened to the Protecteur and why we recalled our ship from an active deployment.

Protecteur had a massive fire that's not worth fixing.  The other ship had some crew exhibiting bad behaviour.

#97 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

One would think but in fact during his tenure Stephen Harper (going back to Mulroney the same holds true to an extent) and the Tories, to the surprise of many haven't exactly unleashed the dogs of war and opened the spending taps in favor of the military, much as you might expect a Conservative government to do.

Our overall defence spending remains, by comparison to other similar-sized nations and especially compared to other NATO allies, quite low, in fact per capita it remains amongst the lowest in NATO.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

I know, but 4 dead ships, while we just repaired a couple subs, and who knows where the new shipbuilding is, it's fodder for the opposition.

I guess it's one thing to retire 4 ships early, but to retire 1/4 of your total big-ship fleet all at once does not sound great.

#99 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

I guess it's one thing to retire 4 ships early, but to retire 1/4 of your total big-ship fleet all at once does not sound great.

It's freaking embarrassing if you ask me.

I don't know how much money we have sunk into those subs, but it's in the billions. We insist upon designing and building our own ships for at least double (triple, quadruple?) we could buy them for elsewhere.

How far away are the replacement ships? I don't believe they have even begun cutting steel yet.

Edit the "Queenston Class" auxiliary vessels are scheduled into service in 2019, or five years from now.

Edited by jonny, 19 September 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#100 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

The issue is of his own making. If you position yourself as the best advocates for the military and this happens on your watch, then you are the one wearing this issue. Same goes for cuts to Veterans Affairs. If Harper had not been such a champion of strong armed forces, I don't think people would see this as a big deal.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users