Go Canucks Go

• Please log in to reply
971 replies to this topic

#401 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Nothing else other than a waiver wire pickup for a 4rth liner.
Crazy talk about extending Miller a couple more seasons too! I'd be okay with 1 season, 3 mill.

#402 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

This Goldobin (Russian) kid the 'nucks got from San Jose for Jannik Hansen looks like a keeper; kid can snipe!

All of a sudden the future doesn't look bad at all assuming all their young prospects develop as hoped:

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaunce

Boeser

Goldobin

Hutton

Stecher

Tryamkin

Subban

Juolevi

Demko

...along with the 'young vets' like Sutter, Granlund, Tanev they have some nice pieces in place for the future.

#403 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Someone looked like they broke their leg today.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#404 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Loui Erikkson with the proverbial "lower body injury". Knee on knee. Depending on the extent of the damage to the knee he might wish he had fractured his leg.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#405 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

The future is looking better, no doubt, but Virtanen is a bust.

#406 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

/\.....time will tell; remember he's still only 20 and was playing in the NHL at age 19. When I was 19 I was partying my brains out in Gordon Head & Oak Bay and working p/t at Woodward's. Fortunately I grew up and I think he will too.

He came in to his second camp at nearly 230 pounds....way, way overweight for him, by over 20 pounds. He needs to learn how to be a pro hockey player. I'd give him another year before passing final judgement.

#407 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

Guys who score 6 goals in nearly an entire AHL season typically don't materialize into much. As you said, time will tell.

#408 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

My Habs in town tonight. They better not take this one for granted or I'll be throwing the toys out of my pram.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#409 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

My Habs in town tonight. They better not take this one for granted or I'll be throwing the toys out of my pram.

Wasn't sure what to think when Bergevin didn't get them that 1-2C they've needed since forever at the deadline but so far the new additions have worked out. Still think in the off season he needs to go hard for Duchene or someone of that caliber to address their offensive shortcomings.

Radulov is looking for term + a big raise (and will get it from someone if not the Habbies), Pacioretty will be coming off a very team friendly contract (and also get a huge increase from someone if the Habs don't ante up) and then there is Price, who will be asking for the moon in 15 months when his deal expires. They need to go for it this and especially next year. No excuses.

#410 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

No one else got the two best available forwards either so Bergy did the next best thing by adding some size and nastiness. Benn @$1.1 mil is a deal good through 2018.
I dont think signing Radu will be a problem, he loves it there and is very familiar with living in la belle province from his junior days with the Remparts. Word is he wants term over ball-busting $$.
Pacs isnt feeling aggrieved about his contract, one of the very best in the league, because he signed after his broken neck and felt happy with $ and term because he didnt know if he would have much of a career after the incident (his words from a Mtl Gazette interview). He will get $7 mil but worth it.
Money is coming off the books in the very near future. Markov is on his last year @$5.75 million and might retire, Plekanecs could well go to LV and take his $6 mil away, Desharnais @$3.5 mil is gone to the tundra.

#411 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

An agreement has been reached (but not approved yet by city council) to renovate Key Arena in Seattle for NBA and NHL use in time for the 2020-21 season. 

http://www.seattleti...portation-fund/

On the same day this was announced, Ken King, President of the Calgary Flames, announced that the club is no longer pursuing a new arena in Calgary. 

Coincidence? Calgary has a municipal election coming up in October and the incumbent (Nenshi) is not as business friendly as the friend of King's who is the challenger. The seems to be an obvious election ploy to swing the municipal vote. Not convinced? NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman with this beauty:

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Bettman on what Calgarians can do now: "You need to make your voice heard if you think the city is moving in the wrong direction."

This is after he said he was not surprised that King walked away, he felt it was inevitable and that there would be consequences to this decision. Following that up with nothing other than an appeal to the electorate to make their voices heard.

Is Bettman, an American, meddling in a Canadian election?

In any case, it is rather shocking that the Calgary situation has come to this. The Saddledome is a dump. It’s only 34 years old, but feels 64. The old Coliseum in Edmonton that they are about to blow up is a better arena.

#412 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

I think an arena deal will emerge. Calgary is a good hockey town and the natural rivalry with the Oil is one of the best. I dont think Buttman would like them to move. IMO Arizona, Florida or Carolina would be the best candidates for Seattle. I hope Seattle gets a team, its a natural rivalry for the Nucks.

#413 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

I think an arena deal will emerge. Calgary is a good hockey town and the natural rivalry with the Oil is one of the best. I dont think Buttman would like them to move. IMO Arizona, Florida or Carolina would be the best candidates for Seattle. I hope Seattle gets a team, its a natural rivalry for the Nucks.

"Buttman" does make any decisions.   He speaks for 30 owners.  I find it odd how everyone thinks he makes even the most rudimentary decisions, when in fact he makes none.  He's paid highly to deflect and absorb all negativity away from owners.   He's paid to be hated.  Job well done.  If a team stays in Phoenix, leaves Quebec City, or lands in Winnipeg, it's at the say-so of the owners, not Bettman.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 September 2017 - 10:03 AM.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#414 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

I agree that an arena deal will likely emerge that works for both the Flames and the City of Calgary. As much as the Flames are saying they are no longer negotiating, this shift is simply another phase of negotiations. 

Interesting that Calgary is the most "free market" large city in Canada, yet their major pro sports team is looking for a huge amount of public funding to house their team. The Canucks own and paid for their own arena. 

There is certainly tension there, though. A largely publicly funded new arena is obviously not a huge priority for Nenshi. Nenshi is apparently still quite popular and stands a good chance to be re-elected in October. 

Look, the Flames clearly do well financially. They have one of the better fan bases in the NHL. BUT, pro sports owners do not mess around with this arena business. They have shown they will move for a fancy new arena/stadium elsewhere. See St Louis, San Diego, Oakland, Seattle, Quebec City, Winnipeg, Houston, Montreal, Charlotte, etc. 

#415 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

"Buttman" does make any decisions.   He speaks for 30 owners.  I find it odd how everyone thinks he makes even the most rudimentary decisions, when in fact he makes none.  He's paid highly to deflect and absorb all negativity away from owners.   He's paid to be hated.  Job well done.  If a team stays in Phoenix, leaves Quebec City, or lands in Winnipeg, it's at the say-so of the owners, not Bettman.

100% correct. The owners are essentially the league's Board of Directors and call all of the major shots. 

#416 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

The chance of them leaving Calgary is next to zero.

Where are they going to go? Oklahoma? Salt Lake City?

Oh, I know, a hockey loving town like Albuquerque!

Who are they kidding. Now if they want a fancy stadium they can arrange to build it, but to hold their fan base hostage like this is absolutely outrageous.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#417 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

^ Seattle.  6 hours before they said they were abandoning the pursuit of a new arena, Seattle said they are ready to fix up Key to NHL standards.  Think about it, Seattle only has a NFL team.  Lame.

Seattle needs an NBA or NHL team or both, and while we are at it, let's give Portland an NFL team.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 September 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#418 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Oh, I know, a hockey loving town like Albuquerque!

Who are they kidding. Now if they want a fancy stadium they can arrange to build it, but to hold their fan base hostage like this is absolutely outrageous.

OK, pro sports expert, hockey is played in an "arena" first of all.

LA has 2 teams.  That hockey-loving city.

BTW while we are at it, Houston needs an NHL team.  I don't know why that never comes into the discussion.  That city is huge.  Houston has an AHL team, and so does Utica, NY.  Odd.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 September 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#419 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

Houston is a terrible sports town. 

#420 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

They've also got MLB.

The move to Seattle is the absolute most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Seattle should try to get an NBA team back before it entertains accepting a team that will become the most hated franchise in the entire league.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users