• Please log in to reply
966 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Anyone who can't see through tonight's sharade is blind as a bat.

Lose one, win one in Boston, then win it all at home in Game 5.

Might as well be WWF!

You're the second person I have heard say that tonight.

I guess I'm as blind as a bat.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Swing and a miss

#43 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Roughest game I've seen in a long long time. These guys are gonna ache tomorrow. Somehow I don't think the Canucks lost it on purpose just so they could win the hardware at home.

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Might as well be WWF!

The Bruins are a pretty tough team. I don't think the Canucks lost this on purpose so they'd have a shot of winning the cup at home. Too much at stake and a pretty big assumption that they could just knock them down in two more games.

If they did lose on purpose, it wouldn't have been tonight's game. They'd have won this one, lost Wednesday's game and brought the cup home on Friday.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#45 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

If they did lose on purpose, it wouldn't have been tonight's game. They'd have won this one, lost Wednesday's game and brought the cup home on Friday.

OK. You make a good point.

Though I remain unconvinced. :rolleyes:

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I agree that Aaron Rome has been suspended for the rest of the Cup final.

Ther needs to be more of a penalty for that kind of play.

#47 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

Momentum shift has happened. Canucks could be in trouble; Bieksa has lost his partner Hamhuis so a shutdown pair has been broken up. Ballard/Tanev can replace Rome but both are a bit risky. Kesler may have re-injured his groin and Luongo's head may be affected. Look for da Broons to play Seguin for Horton adding some speed.
Broons will be very tough to beat on Wednesday, I'm expecting a helluva game.

#48 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Canucks are going to dominate in the next game. They controlled the first period and could even come back in the second if Thomas was not lucky - there were several times where I could not figure out how the puck stayed out of the net.

Losing one game means winning it all in Game 5 in Vancouver - I just want to be there downtown when the team wins.

#49 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Boston has been the most blessed city in pro sports in recent years. Will the Bruins join the party and make a big comeback here?

#50 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

Canucks are going to dominate in the next game. They controlled the first period and could even come back in the second if Thomas was not lucky - there were several times where I could not figure out how the puck stayed out of the net.

Losing one game means winning it all in Game 5 in Vancouver - I just want to be there downtown when the team wins.

We only won the last game because Thomas was standing behind the dam goal :P

The Canucks better be ready to play with some more strategy or the cup is going to Boston.

I'd like to believe in the "we lost it so we could win the cup on home turf" theory, but I just don't see it happening in game 5.

#51 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

"we lost it so we could win the cup on home turf" might be ok for pee wee leagues or where one team is clearly dominant (maybe at bantam). At this level you don't take chances, you win every one you can.
Maybe Thomas was lucky, nothing wrong with that but luck is an important part of the game. I guess da Broons bagged eight lucky goals, too.

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

So, will the "lost it so we can win on home turf" theory prove true tonight?

#53 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

Might as well be WWF!

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

That hit made the front page of Boston's main paper:

http://www.boston.co...cross_the_line/

#55 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

Right now its pretty clear who wants most to win the mug.

#56 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

Jeez, that's weird. I don't think I've been wrong since 1984 or 1985. :rolleyes:

I'll concede sebbery!

#57 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

I really like the Canucks strategy:

1) get another home game to ensure the team is doing ok financially, it is only worth just a bit more than a quarter billion dollars at the moment.

2) Ensure another game to make sure the CBC gets more money and can therefore deal with the possible cuts coming from the Harper Government.

3) Get Boston to score that series quota of goals in two games.

So far it looks like they are doing brilliant.

Now as to the world on conspiracies, I put no stock in this awful conspriacy theory that Bettman has something against Canadian teams and has secretly used some tech to keep the puck out of the Boston net, but make it easy for the puck to make it past Luongo.

I think it is only coincidence that Gary Bettman took over the NHL in Feb 1993 and the last time a Canadian team won the Cup was in 1993. Though from 1942 to 1993 Canadian teams won the Cup 36 times and American teams 16 times. In 43 of 52 seasons there was at least one Canadian team in the final.

Since 1993 no Canadian team has won the cup. In the 17 playoff years since then, this year is only the fifth time a Canadian team was in the final.

I am sure this all a coincidence, there is no conspiracy.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

I am sure this all a coincidence, there is no conspiracy.

I sincerely doubt that the NHL is as rigged as the NBA or even the NFL but I do find it curious that four different Canadian teams have played in the past seven finals. Some people (myself included) question the seemingly convenient championships for Carolina and Anaheim, but at least Carolina and Anaheim weren't one hit wonders. They were decent teams and they made decent playoff runs.

If Toronto or Montreal make an appearance in the finals in the next two or three years then I think I'd really be wondering. Even though I agree that hockey is a much more difficult game to fix than, for example, basketball (which is absolutely dead easy to fix via phantom fouls/free throws).

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

If Toronto or Montreal make an appearance in the finals in the next two or three years then I think I'd really be wondering. Even though I agree that hockey is a much more difficult game to fix than, for example, basketball (which is absolutely dead easy to fix via phantom fouls/free throws).

Well, Toronto does not need to make the playoffs to be financially very strong, thus Bettman has a deal that they never even make the playoffs, just in case. :)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#60 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

Jeez, that's weird. I don't think I've been wrong since 1984 or 1985. :rolleyes:

I'll concede sebbery!

That's not long after I was born. Must be a conspiracy :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users