Photo

Sizzling Tandoor | Victoria: 600-block Johnson | Saanich: Uptown | Westshore: Westshore Town Centre

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

Restaurant Review: Tandoor aims for wide appeal - and succeeds
BY PAM GRANT, TIMES COLONIST

Ordered in from here today and it was great! It will be a regular for us. I recommend the Vindaloo and Butter Chicken.

#2 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Nothing over the top, but decent. We need a Vij's here.
  • Mixed365 likes this

#3 Sanjeet

Sanjeet
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Arguably the best Indian food in town. This is coming from an Indian(although I prefer my Indian meals home-cooked) . Vij's is great if you want fusion Indian, not the typical butter chicken or your vindaloo's

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

As mentioned by LocalMom in another thread, Sizzling Tandoor is opening a second location at Uptown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Great news. I realize this isn't their style, but I hope they offer a quick takeout option to compete with Noodle Box.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Sizzling Tandoor's Uptown location should be open some time this week. They'll be located along the same side of the centre as Noodle Box (facing out onto Douglas).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Sizzling Tandoor's Uptown location should be open some time this week. They'll be located along the same side of the centre as Noodle Box (facing out onto Douglas).

Nice to see a local mom and pop be able to afford to get in Uptown.

EDIT: Restaurant.... Noodle Box has lost all mom and pop feel IMHO
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#8 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Went tonight to the Uptown location, fairly busy night .

FYI There is just one dish to avoid and brings everything down . The Chicken Strips and Masala fries. The Chicken strips are the same as those frozen chicken strips you get at the store just not in dinosaur shapes and served some fries on that same red checkered papaer. There is no Indian twist on that as you might have thought from the description below. Nope just plain previously frozen chicken strips and fries with a spicy ketchup that would have been at home on a BC Ferry. The girlfriend thought she ordered from the kids menu by mistake . We will go again will just skip the following item.

Mediterranean & Specialty Selection
Chicken Strips & Masala Fries $8
Boneless chicken breast strips with a side of savory masala fries served with mint chutney, tamarind chutney or mango chutney

#9 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Went to the downtown location the other night. Strange experience. Food was all fine but the service was apathetic. Lots of details wrong like bring everything together then not. Asking for Jasmine tea and getting Chai. Not bringing rice with the meal and having to get up and ask for it. Each dish comes with rice and only bringing one then having to get up and ask for the second one. Not a single voluntary visit or "how are things" or "would you like more nan?", "Another beer?". Nothing. And it wasn't busy... My wife paid and didn't tip and told them. All they said was "that's OK".  Has their been a change of ownership or something? 

• jonny likes this

#10 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

The wife and I were in earlier this week and whilst the food remained decent we also commented on the poor service, it was almost non existent.

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Went to the downtown location the other night. Strange experience. Food was all fine but the service was apathetic. Lots of details wrong like bring everything together then not. Asking for Jasmine tea and getting Chai. Not bringing rice with the meal and having to get up and ask for it. Each dish comes with rice and only bringing one then having to get up and ask for the second one. Not a single voluntary visit or "how are things" or "would you like more nan?", "Another beer?". Nothing. And it wasn't busy... My wife paid and didn't tip and told them. All they said was "that's OK".  Has their been a change of ownership or something?

Service has always been terrible.

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

He he. I had only bee in there for lunch a few times so hadn't noticed. I guess they don't know or care what business they are in. Good food isn't enough. It wasn't that good... That's why there is a line up out the door at 5:00 on a Wed evening at Brasserie L'ecole and this place is empty...

#13 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

FACT:

We actually do have a Vij's. It is in the Hudson Public Market and goes by the name of "Sutra."

Check it out:

"Foodies well-versed in Vancouver’s culinary scene will be pleased to see the addition of Vij’s Sutra, an Indian fusion vendor offering mostly takeaway products from the renowned Vij’s Restaurant. “We’ll also do a small, hot rotating menu,” said Mike Bernardo, Vij’s operations director. “We have a chicken and chickpea curry, navy bean and kale curry … and of course, our housemade chai and our famous ginger lemon drink. ”At the market’s grand opening Saturday (Sept. 14), Vij’s owner Vikram Vij will be one of several chefs showcasing their culinary expertise in the community kitchen, a rentable space created with a grant from VanCity."

Source - 
http://www.vicnews.c.../223174191.html

• Mr Cook Street likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

Some of the most bland food-court quality indian food I ever had was at this Sutra place, ridiculously over-priced as well since I guess all you're paying for is the association with Vij's brand. Sizzling Tandoor remains by far the best Indian place in town in my opinion (not that the competition is very stiff here).  The owners are very nice as well, pleasure to chat with.  Service can be hit and miss though, there's some really good servers there as well as some not so great ones.  

Edited by Baro, 30 September 2014 - 09:04 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

Some of the most bland food-court quality indian food I ever had was at this Sutra place, ridiculously over-priced as well since I guess all you're paying for is the association with Vij's brand. Sizzling Tandoor remains by far the best Indian place in town in my opinion (not that the competition is very stiff here).  The owners are very nice as well, pleasure to chat with.  Service can be hit and miss though, there's some really good servers there as well as some not so great ones.  

Interesting. I really enjoy Sutra and am most definitely returning. It wasnt the least bit "food-court quality."

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#16 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

Sutra - the three times I have been - has been outstanding, in food quality *and* the people working there. I heard they no longer offer their version of poutine... which is very sad. Sad, indeed. :)

http://vijssutra.com/menu/

That being said, if we are to order indian food as take-out, we usually do Sizzling Tandoor at Uptown - a butter chicken for my husband and their tandoori masala fettuccine for me - the servings are big enough to do us both for two nights.

I keep meaning to buy a few of their refrigerated/frozen indian dishes and trying them - surely they are great.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

Omg I tried the poutine from Sutra and I was very dissapointed. I am glad it is now off the menu.

#18 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

Husband I ordered take-out from their Uptown location (like we have in the past, nothing new) - he went to pick it up and the guy told him that if we bring back the *paper bag* it comes in next time, we will get 10% off. You know, in the name of the earth and all that.

Wait - what?! It's a PAPER bag - yes, its pretty with the Sizzling Tandoor logo on the side and all that jazz but seriously?!

Seemed odd... but I suppose they can SAY they are a green restaurant? ;)

#19 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

10% off for your own bag is actually a fantastic deal. 

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

I suspect it's more about getting you back than the bag.
  • Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users