Photo

[North Saanich] 443 Maritime Squadron Helicopter Facility at Victoria International Airport | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Defence department seeks bids on $104-million contract to build new helicopter centre

A $104-million contract to build a facility to house nine new helicopters at 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron in North Saanich has gone out to public tender........

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1MHBkvma5

#2 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

Why do they publish their construction budget prior to receival of the bids? Am I crazy or does this completely eliminate the opportunity to receive favourable pricing?

#3 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

They publish the budget to tell contractors the approximate size of the project to ensure its within their scope and bonding requirements. Only a few select local contractors can bid a $100+ million project and of course will attract the largest national, and perhaps international contractors

The project will still be awarded to the lowest bidder

#4 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

#5 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

Defence department seeks bids on $104-million contract to build new helicopter centre

A $104-million contract to build a facility to house nine new helicopters at 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron in North Saanich has gone out to public tender........

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1MHBkvma5

I notice the original closing date was listed as June 12th...this project's closing date has been extended a few times and is now scheduled to close in early August, don't expect construction to start up here for a little bit yet.

#6 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

This Project Closed for tender last week. It should be moving forward shortly, Knappet Projects was the low bid on it with a number in the tune of just shy over 100 Million with a span of less than 20k difference between 1st and 2nd. The project has not been officially awarded yet, but Construction should start shortly

#7 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but why does this cost so much? $100M for what is essentially a hanger and maintenance building for nine helicopters seems like an awful lot to me.

For comparison's sake, Save on Foods Memorial Centre cost $30M to build. Rogers Arena was $160M (approx $220M in today's dollars).

#8 PMCon

PMCon
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but why does this cost so much? $100M for what is essentially a hanger and maintenance building for nine helicopters seems like an awful lot to me.

For comparison's sake, Save on Foods Memorial Centre cost $30M to build. Rogers Arena was $160M (approx $220M in today's dollars).

As I have had some involvement here I'd weigh in.

Its not just a hanger to start off with, there are offices, communications, and other such rooms associated with it. Its a large footprint and therefore large structure, its also designed and being built to allow future expansion should it be required. The costs of building a commerical building/residential building versus building a military building also vary quite significantly. The DCC has some very strict and minimal tolerances in the construction of any project they commission which increases your labour, your materials and your general overall costs. The bottom line is, its not just an "average hangar" at an airport.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

From my experience with Defence Construction jonny, the specifications of materials is MUCH higher than regular construction.

An example is "rigid" conduit instead of "EMT" for electrical wiring. Heaven forbid that they would specify BX or armoured cable.

This is your tax dollar at work. Nothing is too good for the taxpayer. Interesting to note that the quantity surveyors that set the budget were very close to the final bids.

I heard that the board room in the construction association office was somewhat tense when the bid results were read out and were so close. John Knappet runs a tight ship and has worked for Defense Construction in the past.......he knows the drill.

#10 PMCon

PMCon
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

From my experience with Defence Construction jonny, the specifications of materials is MUCH higher than regular construction.

An example is "rigid" conduit instead of "EMT" for electrical wiring. Heaven forbid that they would specify BX or armoured cable.

This is your tax dollar at work. Nothing is too good for the taxpayer. Interesting to note that the quantity surveyors that set the budget were very close to the final bids.

I heard that the board room in the construction association office was somewhat tense when the bid results were read out and were so close. John Knappet runs a tight ship and has worked for Defense Construction in the past.......he knows the drill.

As this information is a matter of public record due to the fact it is a taxpayer funded job. For those of you that are interested the bids are as follows from High to Low

Acciona - $112,900,000
StuartOlsen Dom - $111,970,359.00
CMF Construction - $110,079,065.90
EllisDon/Kinetic - $105,194,115.90
Farmer - $104,970,000.00
PCL - $104,480,000.00
Ledcor $103,987,000.00
Knappet $103,970,000.00

The first couple were certainly close, the spread gets up there on the last three. It was a very tense and competetive bid process. There was a large number of addendums and clarifications issued on the project, with as I think someone else on here mentioned the closing date got pushed back several times, I honestly lost track of how many times it got pushed back. This will certainly create some jobs and give the local trades a good boost.

#11 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Havent been out that way for awhile.. I was led to believe construction had started.. but has anyone seen where they're at with it?

cakes..

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yes, construction is underway and located north of the complex where Spitfire Grill/Fedex are located.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

These were taken a month or more ago. It is a very large construction site.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

April 20th photos of the 443 Maritime Squadron helicopter facility.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Just flew over that today. Seems like it is going slow...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Those are pretty big piles! Any idea what diameter those are? 3ft at least

#17 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I would guess based on the lock block sitting next to the pile (last photo) on the ground suspending the I-beams/girders, that the piles are 2ft diameter (610mm). Seeing as a typical lock block is about 750mm in height, and that pile looks like it's less, though it's hard to tell if they are truly side by side, but the lock block behind that pile looks bigger than the pile diameter as well.

I've seen a lot of piles in Victoria that are typically 1ft diameter, 2ft less often, I've seen 3ft and bigger in Vancouver, but they are typically avoided if possible cause they add a lot of complications (cost) to construction.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

I've seen a lot of piles...that are typically 1ft diameter, 2ft less often, I've seen 3ft and bigger, but they are typically avoided if possible cause they add a lot of complications

Yikes! I found some images, but they are a bit ugly and would probably be removed if they were posted.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

^ What was your search term?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

^ What was your search term?

Oops, I thought this was the health thread.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users